my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Michel's solo album???

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Michel's solo album???
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted December 22, 2002 21:52     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey all - I was snooping around the Men Without Hats homepage (you know, as we all do at 9:20 on a Sunday evening), when I happened upon an interesting bit o' info. I'm hoping that one of you may be able to provide a bit more insight on something. Here's what I read:

"What did you do the years after your last release? Where've you been hiding? There was a solo-album from Ivan "The Spell"...

(Stefan): I've been recording a kinds of things, but most of the stuff has yet to come out. One album did, it was called The Mackenzie-Parker Gang's "Ride for Glory", which was released in Canada and got a bit of airplay, it's sort of the Eagles meet John Cougar Mellencamp. I also recorded 2 albums of Ivan with 2 different bands doing songs in French. I also recorded Michel Langevin's solo record (he's the drummer from Voivod) and hope to release it next year. I've also recorded other stuff and it's taken a year and a half to record the new MWH record..."

Soooo... what's up with that??? Is this an old interview? Am I the only one around these parts to not know about this? Anyone? Bueller? Noitall?

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 23, 2002 00:21     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know if it's old. I know that Stefan Doroschuk's label website says "Other projects include the first solo album by Michel Langevin, from the cybergoth heros, VOIVOD. This album is scheduled to be released in the summer/fall of 2003." Who knows if that's happening or not, you could email and ask - http://www.cloud9records.com/about.html

Unfortunately the site also says that "for 2003 will be a re-release of the Men Without Hats smash hit, Safety Dance, but this time with added hip-hop, drum & bass... mixes, as well as a new version by Men Without Hats."

I know MWoH think they originated synth-pop (I'm certain Joy Division were influenced by them *sarcasm*) but do they have to keep punishing the Canadian public with videos of medieval dwarves dancing around maypoles to their horrible music???

Since we're on the topic of Away's other projects, here's a link to something that Michel "Mick Mustang" Langevin participated in http://www.cloud9records.com/mpg.html with a couple of audio links.

And here's a pic of Away playing with Ivan (MWoH) & Mitsou ('member 'bye bye mon cowboy' Mitsou? I briefly worked at a record store where she came to do an in-store during the *cough* height of her musical career and the manager was supposed to take her out for lunch. But he didn't want to. And neither did anyone else. lol. She also, unfortunately, re-released dance mixes of her hits this year. Why she thought remixes of pop from the late 80's were marketable is beyond me...) Luckily Away is hard to make out in the pic so he can always claim it's not really him.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 23, 2002 03:17     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What does the "Men Without Hats" album sound like with Away on drums? Is it hard to find?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 23, 2002 10:44     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahaha, that was pretty funny Noitall. Why wouldn't Michel want to be onstage with those two? Dude, has got a cool hat and is playing a hot tele. The lady is in a low cut "?". Down here this is considered the height of rocknroll fashion.

My old boss used to crank 80's synth pop in the office all the time. I cannot for the life of me think of a genre of music that stinks worse than 80's synth pop. I think I would even rather listen to nu-metal than this. Hmmmm...maybe not...that's a toss-up...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 23, 2002 13:08     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would still rather listen to 80s synth-pop or nu-metal than new age music.

Away played on the Men Without Hats: Sideways record, BCoD - tambourine too. The CD is really terrible (IMO, and I like some synth pop) and it's not hard to find at all, I'm sure you could pick it up at many used stores.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 23, 2002 13:22     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a not so lame side project that features Away on drums too! Anybody heard of Jim Thirlwell's Steroid Maximus? Got this from Trouser Press

quote:
Pursuing Thaw's cinematic byway, Steroid Maximus is Thirlwell's instrumental project of would-be film scores. The brassy, garishly atmospheric music on Quilombo and Gondwanaland (which have a couple of tracks in common) is stunning in its mischievous diversion of traditional concepts, from the ominously brilliant titles ("Phantom Miscarriage," "Ogro," "The Trojan Hearse," "The Smother Brother") to the nervy instrumental invention. Employing a slightly more restrained dynamic range than usual, Thirlwell delves into Wagnerian orchestration, exotic ethnic elements, blaring big-band swing, continental drift and found-sound constructions to deliver extraordinarily convincing and resonant accompaniments to whatever he's seeing in his grotesque imagination. First rate. Both records feature Lucy Hamilton, Raymond Watts and Voivod drummer Michael "Away" Langevin. Quilombo also employs Spoiler's Lin Culbertson and Hahn Rowe, while Gondwanaland finds equally unspecified uses for Roli Mosimann and Don Fleming.

Now this I need to have! Both albums were released around 1991-92 and seem to be now out of print.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan