my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Street Teams

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Street Teams
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 19, 2002 14:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Groupies used to be the ones pimped out to bands but now it looks like any fan can be had through street teams. If I read: "Help spread the word, get inside info, and win great prizes!" on one more website I'm gonna puke. Why do people need to be enticed to tell their friends when they hear a cool band? Call me a cynic but offering people a few "prizes" in order to make them feel like they're 'close to the band' because they're running around handing out stickers, is in reality just cheap exploitation. At least the Krishnas give you free drugs for spreading the word. It's kind of sad that people need street teams to feel like they’re participating in the scene. Remember back in the day when a friend told you that a new record was wicked and you just couldn't wait to get your hands on it? Because you knew they had listened to it a million times already – they didn't just receive some promo email written by a marketing representative. I'm all for DIY, but this isn't grass roots. Grass roots is starting a zine or a fan-site or whatever, not being spoon-fed marketing schlock to dole out.

With today's forms of communication you can email a friend a link to a band's site and they can hear them instantly – so why do you need to be officially mandated to do that? The use of the term "team" is very popular in the corporate world, everybody working for the common cause, which is basically the good of the management – who are making the largest (i.e. grossly inflated) percentage of the profit. I'm disappointed that the music industry is embracing this model through street teams. And I'm sure there's at least one major label A & R rep somewhere laughing his ass off about it.

Dissenting opinions on this topic welcomed.

|  IP: Logged
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted December 19, 2002 14:59     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Street Teaming = Telemarketing in person

I dislike both equally.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 19, 2002 18:48     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Remember back in the day when a friend told you that a new record was wicked and you just couldn't wait to get your hands on it? Because you knew they had listened to it a million times already – they didn't just receive some promo email written by a marketing representative.

Well said NIA.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 19, 2002 19:08     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I pretty much agree! I make a point to try and block out promotions and $-driven hype, especially when it comes to music. If a band is good, you'll hear about it word of mouth or in cool discussion forums such at this one. Attempting to lock fans into promotion seems kinda shady IMHO.

I could never join a street team anyhow... Not only do I despise being at the bidding of someone else (something I am forced to do at work everyday), but the minute I make a formal agreement to do something, I almost instantly lose interest...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 20, 2002 00:56     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unofficially I've been on several street teams, it's called word of mouth. If someone officially needs to pimp their music then I guess it sucks (pun intiende)
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 20, 2002 06:11     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well said Nia. I 100% agree. If your music's good enough, it'll get heard. Unless people are too busy listening to shit that they're being force fed by brainwashers! The metal scene was always about finding new sounds and with them experiences. This is just corperate horse shit.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted January 02, 2003 19:56     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's some corporate horseshit for ya, rotfl...
quote:
A dozen Burger King marketing execs suffer first- and second-degree burns while walking over hot coals as part of a team-building retreat in October. One of the injured, a VP for product marketing aptly named Dana Frydman, tries to put a positive spin on having her feet flame-broiled like so much ground chuck. "It made you feel a sense of empowerment and that you can accomplish anything," she tells the Miami Herald.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 03, 2003 02:28     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey 'Corpse,
How does one get to be on the "voivodfan.com" street team?

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted January 03, 2003 02:33     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
The use of the term "team" is very popular in the corporate world, everybody working for the common cause, which is basically the good of the management.

in other words: PYRAMID!!!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted January 06, 2003 12:00     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I automatically check the Voivod CD's stock whenever i go to the store, but wouldnt ya know it...theyre ALWAYS out!

It Doesnt do any good to inquier to the Frosted-Tips Spikey-Head Sales Boy Manager about it either. The response is always the same...
"No...i never heard of Voivod. Would you like to get the new Bon Jovi instead?"

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted March 08, 2003 00:17     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am totally unfamiliar with the whole concept of a 'Street Team' the way
you are all describing it, but I did join up with the Chophouse thing for one good reason:

I live in a college town in the center of Minnesota, and just like I predicted,
none of these fucking stores got the new Voivod in except for Best Buy -
who had ONE copy, which was apparently stolen before I could buy it.

I am gonna plaster some Voivod posters on the windows of these back-ass stores,
so there will at least have been some eye contact with the name and logo.

I certainly will NOT be out 'campaigning', like some bizarre
80's thrash metal heretic freak fucking politician.

That's for damn sure.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 08, 2003 03:22     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hate street teams, voivod..and vegetables.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 08, 2003 03:25     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcloud of Deicide:
I hate street teams, voivod..and vegetables.

sorry...I "LOVE" Voivod...what was I thinking........I LOVE YOU, MAN!!! (corporate 'slogan' included)

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted March 08, 2003 06:18     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lol. Poor Blackcloud, what were you thinking?
ChophouseStreetTeamor
VoivodFan
Member # 214

posted March 08, 2003 10:32     Profile for ChophouseStreetTeamor   Email ChophouseStreetTeamor     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think there's anything wrong with street teams at all. I really do enjoy putting stickers and posters up, passing out fliers and showing my end of respect for a band that deserves the recognition.

Word of mouth IS the best way to go when spreading the word on a band, but that goes only so far. Street teaming does bring more curiosity about a band to check them out as well as add more new fans to the fold.

I never actually heard of street teaming until a very dear friend of mine, JasonsAngel (from the Chophouse and Co-Founder of the Jasonites)put the bug in my ear last year about it and 2 bands she was doing her own street teaming for.

There are tons of music lovers out there, of all genre's that want to hear more. There are alot out there that check out every new band they could possibly find. After that person discovers the new band/music, whether a friend or stranger, they become drawn to the music of that new band they heard about and checked out and put the bug in their friend's ears and it goes on from there. For every band, there is a favorite song,for every favorite song, there are great memories and friendships started from it and the cycle continues.

Street teaming brings on all sorts of awesome things. I feel good after I spend a few hours of putting up stickers, posters and handing out fliers. It is contagious!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted March 09, 2003 06:25     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, but there is a BIG difference between "spamming" and "street-teaming"...well..er...maybe not.
piggysMYgod
VoivodFan
Member # 158

posted March 09, 2003 07:18     Profile for piggysMYgod   Email piggysMYgod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this is why i love this forum we all love voivod.. but were very protective of them, so why? so much negativeity,i want voivod to make more music, but you HAVE to realize that there in a BUSSINESS and need $$ to survive, I M GOING TO PROMOTE VOIVOD b/c i ve listen to them since 1986 and they have givin me so much now i giving back!!!!!!!
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted March 09, 2003 09:50     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Everytime I'm out browsing a record store I make sure to put at least one Voivod album up in front of whatever hip trash is being touted as a 'must buy'. There's a chance that one person may grab it, who knows.
Same goes for Fates Warning and other faves of mine.
Tangento, there is nothing wrong with being an 80's thrash metal heretic freak fucking politician! That can be a GOOD thing ~

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted March 09, 2003 13:43     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, thanks for your perspective on the subject ChophouseStreetTeamor. I'm not sure I agree with it, but I'm always game to agree to disagree. I don't know, maybe my point of view is old fashioned, "In my day we had to photocopy band logos on to sticker paper and make our own darn stickers....and we liked it!" I still think you can't beat a reaction to a band that has nothing to do with any kind of marketing and promotion, just a good ol' passing the word because you like them.
Cthon
Member # 156

posted March 09, 2003 21:17     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, i guess im a "free-agent" street-teamer; ill do lots of crap for bands i love without expecting any of the street team perks. but i dont feel thats any different than coming on a Voivod related website and talking abou how you like a band that isnt Voivod, haha.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan