my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Obligatory Top Albums of 2002 List (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Obligatory Top Albums of 2002 List
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 19, 2002 11:54     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, since 2003 is almost upon us (and a new Voivod release is imminent ) I tought it was high time we did the pre-requisite Top 15 Albums Of 2002 thread. Or 10 if you can only pick 10. Or 5. Whatever, just list your fave releases from 2002 In order would be nice. Here's mine:

1. Opeth - "Deliverance"
2. Immortal - "Sons of Northern Darkness"
3. Halford - "Crucible"
4. Arcturus - "The Sham Mirrors"
5. Nile - "In Their Darkened Shrines"
6. Arch Enemy - "Wages of Sin"
7. In Flames - "Reroute To Remain"
8. Sentenced - "The Cold White Light"
9. Darkane - "Expanding Senses"
10. Kataklysm - "Shadows & Dust"
11. Cannibal Corpse - "Gore Obssessed"
12. Hammerfall - "Crimson Thunder"
13. Rage - "Unity"
14. Dio - "Killing The Dragon"
15. Oxes - "Oxxxes"

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted December 19, 2002 13:54     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lacuna Coil - Comalies
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Audioslave - (forgot the name damnitt)
Marilyn Manson - DVD Guns, God and Government

My most HATED release of 2002 is that piece of shit Def Leppard that i am forced to listen to every week by a stupid co-worker who thinks they rock. He is such a looser.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 19, 2002 13:58     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. Yngwie J Malmsteen's Rising Force - Attack!!!

The rest of this years albums were all shit.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 19, 2002 14:29     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In no particular order, here is my Top 10, 15, 666 or whenever I feel the need to stop writing:

1.Immolation - Unholy Cult
2.High On Fire - Surrounded By Thieves
3.Cathedral - The VIIth Coming
4.Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip
5.Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
6.Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
7.Abdullah - Graveyard Poetry
8.Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O.
9.Satyricon - Volcano
10.The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton - Irony Is A Dead Scene
11.Opeth - Deliverance
12.Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
13.Superjoint Ritual - Use Once And Destroy
14.King Crimson - Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With
15.Motorpsycho - It's A Love Cult
16.35007 - Liquid

16 will be enough for today. There may have been more cool albums but I just felt the need to stop writing.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 19, 2002 14:46     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
KKS, yesterday a friend told me that QOTSA was a "chick record" (and AWK too). What do you think about that? I guess QOTSA shows would be a good place to meet girls.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted December 19, 2002 15:27     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Noitall...

Yes! Chicks do dig QOTSA!

I like it because its just good to my ears.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 19, 2002 16:54     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It always takes me too damn long to get albums... so most newly released titles I got this year were 2001 releases. However, a few totally current releases slipped into my collection as they were released. My absolute top favorite new releases were from Mastodon & the Melvins! Nothing else is really in any kind of order.

1. Mastodon - Remission
2. Melvins - Hostile Ambient Takeover
3. Comae - s/t
4. Clutch - Live At The Googoplex
5. Orange Goblin - Coup De Grace
6. Immolation - Unholy Cult
7. Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin
8. Theory In Practice - Colonizing The Sun (newly aquired)
8. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (newly aquired)
9. Nonexist - Deus Deceptor (also newly aquired, THANKS MEZ! )
10. Electric Wizard - Let Us Prey
11. Alabama Thunderpussy - Staring At The Divine

My top eleven... Although I haven't purchased them yet, the new releases by Godspeed You Black Emperor, King Crimson, & Opeth will most likely make my fav list. I also just got the new Isis and Cathedral albums but have only listened to each of them once thus far... sudden influx of quality material!

I think the new QOTSA is good but not so much of a fav... plus I heard only girls like 'em...

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted December 19, 2002 17:48     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. Mastodon - Remission
2. Ratos De Porao - Onisciente Coletivo
3. Prong - 100 Percent Live
+
Cephalic Carnage - Lucid Interval
Napalm Death - Order Of The Leech
Immolation - Unholy Cult
Alec Empire - Intelligence & Sacrifice
Sepultura - Under A Pale Grey Sky
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Orange Goblin - Coup De Grace
(in fuzzy order)

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted December 19, 2002 19:50     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OMFG i forgot

Hate Eternal - King Of All Kings !

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 19, 2002 20:08     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
#1. PORCUPINE TREE - IN ABSENTIA

2. Ty Tabor - Safety
3. Audioslave - Audioslave
4. King Crimson - Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With
5. Porcupine Tree - Stars Die box set
6. Sinch - Sinch
7. Pearl Jam - Riot Act
8. Iron Maiden - Rock In Rio

more later...Survivor's coming on

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 19, 2002 23:02     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shit! I forgot one too!

Napalm Death - Order Of The Leech

I'll put this one in at #16. I'd move it higher, but I don't wanna fuck with my list as it took me long enough to decide on them.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 20, 2002 00:43     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck that, this is #1 by FAR:

1 Order of the Leech - Napalm (FUCKING) Death
2. Abandonship - 5uu's (Review)
3. FZ/OZ - Frank Zappa
4. Phantomsmasher - James Plotkin
5. OP - Severed Heads
6. Demons Dance Alone - The Residents
7. A Clockwork Orange - Wendy Carlos (the Original Film Score)
8. Iron Lung Memoirs - Amphibifudd
9. Irony is a Dead Scene - Dillinger Escape Plan
10. Ride The Skies - Lightning Bolt

(The last one is a cheat -I first heard of and saw this Fucking INTENSE, BRUTAL duo for the first time this year, so I must mention them, even though the CD came out last year)

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 20, 2002 00:53     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
1. Yngwie J Malmsteen's Rising Force - Attack!!!

The rest of this years albums were all shit.

EKH - that is just sad.
There were some excellent releases this year.
Seek and ye shall find.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted December 20, 2002 02:44     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm on some weird retrotrip, singing along to Brain scan & all the other goodies in the tub .

But,
1. Mastodon's Remission (thanks Cockfighter)
2. ND Order of the Leech

Next year will be better with both VoineVoine(Finnish for VOIVOD)& The Frosties gearing up again. Oops, forgot, Confessor too dammit

TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted December 20, 2002 03:55     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. Holy Moses: "Disorder Of The Order"
2. Disharmonic Orchestra: "Ahead"
3. Nile: "In Their Darkened Shrines"
4. Napalm Death: "Order Of The Leech"
The rest sucked IMHO - especially the the Meshuggah: this album isn't extreme or heavy (this description fits Ministry's "Filth Pig" and "Dark Side Of The Spoon" much better I think), it's just lame and boring!

Next year I'm looking forward to this:
1. VOIVOD: "The Multiverse" (Hopefully the book and CD-ROM Away has been talking about for years will finally become available, too! This is much more important than another "Best of" nobody is interested in anayway! And does anybody know which "Iron Gang"-demo they want to release on CD?)
2. Alchemist: new album
3. Nasum: "Helvete" & "Blueprints For Extinction"
4. Ministry: "Animositisomina"
5. Holy Moses: new album
But who knows maybe there'll be another surprise?!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 20, 2002 05:54     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheHade:

The rest sucked IMHO - especially the the Meshuggah: this album isn't extreme or heavy (this description fits Ministry's "Filth Pig" and "Dark Side Of The Spoon" much better I think), it's just lame and boring!

Yeah man. I agree. I payed out £15.99 for that pile of shit after hearing so many people rant about it. I thought the previous one was alright so I believed the hype. Worst record of the year, metal wise.
Anyway, here's what I've enjoyed:

1. Isis - Oceanic (LOVE this record)
2. King Crimson - Happy with...
3. Mastadon - remission
4. 5ive's Continuum Research Project - The hemophiliac Dream
5. Electric Wizard - Let Us Prey
6. Dream Theater - Six Degrees...
7. The Atomic Bitchwax - Spit Blood
8. The Hives - Your New Favourite Band
9. RHCP - By The Way
10. Fuck, there's loads I've forgotten and am gonna continue to forget 'cause of the bottle of whisky I drank last night. Oof.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 20, 2002 08:29     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"EKH - that is just sad.
There were some excellent releases this year. Seek and ye shall find. "

I DID look, man! I must have listened to every single album released this year, so many in fact that there's been little time for other things, such as love, eating, sleeping and going for long squats on the tobogan.

Its just that every one of these sorry excuses for albums failed to contain highly technical neo-classical guitar solos at impossible speeds. Instead we get unwashed stoner rock, tired black metal and rap. And that just isn't good enough.

The Halford & Alec Empire ones are pretty good, but they would be so much better if they would adopt the 'Rainbow' blueprint like Yngwie.

No really, "Attack!!" is my favourite new album of the year - the rest I bought were all reissues. And anyway, I get my 'new band' kicks from scouring mp3.com.

TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted December 20, 2002 09:01     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Yeah man. I agree. I payed out £15.99 for that pile of shit after hearing so many people rant about it. I thought the previous one was alright so I believed the hype. Worst record of the year, metal wise.

Thank you so much, man! You restored the faith in my sanity... I was really wondering because everybody else loves this CD. I liked "Chaosphere" a lot and in addition to that the new song on their "Rare Trax"-compilation sounded so promising (this is the only song witha drum machine that I really enjoy!)... But "Nothing"?: what a disgrace! I wish they had become so popular because of "Chaosphere" because this would have given back a little hope in mankind back to me.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 20, 2002 09:46     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In some order:

1. Immortal - Sons of northern darkness;
2. Vader - Revelations;
3. Fear Factory - Digital conectivity (DVD);
4. Ratos de Porão - Sistemados pelo crucifa (vinyl only);
5. Ratos de Porão - Onisciente coletivo;
6. Sepultura - Under a pale grey sky;
7. In Flames - Reroute to remain;
8. Cannibal Corpse - Gore obssessed.

No other CD I can think of right now.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 20, 2002 10:24     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TO be perfectly honest, there wasnt alot of records that caught my attention this year... not many "2002" albums anyways, here's the only ones i can think of:

- Halford "Crucible"
- CKY "Infiltrate, Destroy, Rebuild"
- Aggression "Forgotten Skeleton" (cuz it wasnt available before 2002, anyway)
- Grimskunk "Seventh Wave"
- Katakylsm "Shadows and Dust"
- Jerry Cantrell "Degradation Trip"
- Arch Enemy "Wages of Sin"
- Running Wild "The Brotherhood"
- Mononc' Serge "Mon Voyage au Canada"

That's pretty much it. Other stuff:

BOOKS:
Except the manual of my DVD player, i havent read a whole book this year.

MOVIES:
The Ring totally spooked me out. I also liked Asterix: Mission Cleopatre alot, too (been out in europe for a while but it only made it here this year).

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 20, 2002 10:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I can't really think of anything except Mastadon's Remission and Beck's Sea Change that were worth a shit. Unless you can count that Children of Bodom Reaper album but I'm not sure if that was released in 02 or 01.

What am I looking forward to: the new one by Enslaved, Tomahawk, Children of Bodom, and SYL(HOLY SHIT THIS DEVOUR IS AWESOME, THANKS TANGENTO!!!!!)
and I might shell out 15 for the new one by VV.

As for movies: the next Halle Berry epic.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted December 20, 2002 18:08     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
and The Hives, of course ! (but wasn't it a compilation?)
Slaytanic, I think 'Sistemados ...' came out in '99 - it's excellent anyway. There are vinyl and cd versions (including the 'Crucificado pelo Sistema' album as a bonus track!) here in Europe. I haven't found 'Onisciente Coletivo' yet, only the mp3s.

looking forward to: Fantomas !

TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted December 22, 2002 08:02     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oops, I did forget something that wasn't mentioned by anyone else, so here it is!:

5. Haemorrhage: "Morgue Sweet Home"

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 23, 2002 18:09     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutrino:
Slaytanic, I think 'Sistemados ...' came out in '99 - it's excellent anyway. There are vinyl and cd versions (including the 'Crucificado pelo Sistema' album as a bonus track!) here in Europe.

Yes, it did. Believe it or not, it had a proper Brazillian release only THIS year. Only on vinyl. The CD is yet to come.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 23, 2002 19:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, I just got these and I have to add them to my best of 2002 list:

Symphony X - The Odyssey

Amon Amarth - Versus The World

Fan-fucking-tastic stuff! The new Amon Amarth isn't out here in North America but it is in Europe and it slays! It's their best yet by far. The Symphony X is great too. Better than Dream Theater's 6DOIT for sure!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan