my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Unreadable metal band logos (part 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unreadable metal band logos (part 2)
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 17, 2002 08:44     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know this was covered a couple of months back, but this band have to be pretty fucking close to the title of most unreadable metal logo ever made!
http://www.foetopsy.com/

|  IP: Logged
guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted December 17, 2002 08:55     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about this one... Amsvartner.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 17, 2002 09:03     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I can kind of make out at least three letters there. I mean, it actually looks like it could be a word if you squint.

I think the Foetopsy one may once have almost resembled a word before someone got carried away with Photoshop. As a graphic designer myself (and guilty as hell of abusing Photoshop) I lament the days before it when logos were drawn by hand. Then, it was inpenitrable by design, not accident!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 17, 2002 09:59     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In a related question, where do these bands come up with some of their names? I'm speaking mainly of the Relapse "death metal" crowd. It seems like they're competing to see who can be the darkest and goriest out there. Just seems stupid to me. Not to mention that 98% of the music is shit.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 17, 2002 10:21     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
In a related question, where do these bands come up with some of their names? I'm speaking mainly of the Relapse "death metal" crowd. It seems like they're competing to see who can be the darkest and goriest out there. Just seems stupid to me. Not to mention that 98% of the music is shit.

Well-spoken, Mez

(i.e. the world needs more burger-flippers)

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted December 17, 2002 12:47     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh heh! Yeah, here's one of my favorites...

Regurgitate - "Carnivorous Erection"

It's a small pic, but check out the hilarious cover art! It's like my 7th grade sense of humor all over again!

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted December 17, 2002 13:44     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL X-D... I wonder if it was meant to be a joke, or if they wanted it to be really 'scary-looking'.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 17, 2002 14:37     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
These idiots who create the logos should relize no one will remember a band whos name you can't even read...maybe that all for the better, so you CAN'T remember them!!!

Mez is correct.

A logo should be able to be quckly read and easy to identify and remember. A great logo can be remembered even if you only see one letter and you know what the name is.
Away has always done a great job in this area, even with all the times VOIVODs logo has changed...you know it's them and you'll even know what album and era it's from.

Remember the Flotsam & Jetsam cd "HIGH"? they used all the great metal band logos for their song titles.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 17, 2002 15:58     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I see Mayhem's logo as an example of how to make a "chaotic" logo, apparently to fit their music (hehehe...), but perfectly readable.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 17, 2002 16:11     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ooooh now come now Mez, cop a load of this lot:
http://www.mp3.com/exhumed

Also the aforementioned Foetus-shagger (or whatever), don't it raise just a little smile there? Granted, its no Gothic Slam, but for sheer bloody-minded sillyness you have to give it points!

And Schroeder, I reckon these bands just don't want discerning Gentlemen like yourself joining their club by having a readable band name. It's not as if you're going to find this stuff stacked next to Justin Timberlake in Bribe-Mart are ya?

Then again, I quite like visiting HMV and re-sorting the CDs. Carcass in amongst Britney, Bujarilia(?) next to church singing - with the cover refolded so you can see the decapitated head being held up.

Oh shit, I'm just as bad as these bands, arn't I? Look how sick I am. I've done a poo. Gonna form a gore-core band now, gonna fit a bass string to my guitar and use my £20 distortion pedal. Need to do my logo - wheres my fucking red felt-tip?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 18, 2002 09:06     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey EKH, can I be the drummer in your gore band? I can't play drums for shit but I think I look really good in black leather pants with blood in my hair. BTW, if I can get it through customs I'll bring the head of my billy goat. He's got a great pair of horns. Although he might start to stink a little bit by the time we get to merry ol'England he'd look really great tied to the top of my kickdrum.
Black Guard
VoivodFan
Member # 113

posted December 18, 2002 09:40     Profile for Black Guard   Email Black Guard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I LOVE the logo of the mighty Summoning, the whole band name is built all around a pentagram, it's so cool and clever...!!
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 18, 2002 21:52     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
pretty much any "black metal band has a hard to read logo.

some friends of mine are in a local black metal band here in seattle called:

In Memorium www.inmemorium.tk

hopefully this image will print:

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 19, 2002 06:21     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great link warcorse. I guess they're going for the "evil feel" more so than the actual readability of the name.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 19, 2002 06:49     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think he should switch some of those logo's around, just to see if anyone notices.
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted December 19, 2002 07:48     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
found these at Osmose Productions:

(I can't figure where the "T" is supposed to be...)

(...)

this one's quite original, for a spiked logo...

btw, there's a larger version of the Regurgitate album cover at http://www.relapse.com/high/relapse/regu/carn.jpg

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 20, 2002 01:05     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
I see Mayhem's logo as an example of how to make a "chaotic" logo, apparently to fit their music (hehehe...), but perfectly readable.

I think it's funny that so called 'chaotic' logos are really just an exercise in assymetry. Just draw half in ink and fold the paper (and add some thorns after words).
Anyone ever notice that King Diamond's logo upside-dwn says BURN?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 20, 2002 01:14     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
...oh yea and if you turn his face over and cover up his chin he looks like an evil fuckin* gnome. I guess I'm tripping but I've aways thought this. And the streaks on his face are arm veins. It took me a long time to figure this shit out, but I guess I'm dead-icated.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 20, 2002 01:29     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*see next post*
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 20, 2002 01:41     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
These idiots who create the logos should relize no one will remember a band whos name you can't even read...maybe that all for the better, so you CAN'T remember them!!!

Mez is correct.

A logo should be able to be quckly read and easy to identify and remember. A great logo can be remembered even if you only see one letter and you know what the name is.
Away has always done a great job in this area, even with all the times VOIVODs logo has changed...you know it's them and you'll even know what album and era it's from.

Remember the Flotsam & Jetsam cd "HIGH"? they used all the great metal band logos for their song titles.

Away is slick. The old KT logo said DEVO in the middle. Man is so ubsessed with power that we will devolve if we kill eachother (like Sepultura's Primitive Future).
Has anyone ever noticed that on the cover of War and Pain Riflefist's eyes represent the United States and an elephant? trippy

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 20, 2002 06:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh heh! Good one's Nuc! I never noticed either of those (probably because they're not really there, but I see them now you mention it!). I always thought that the mouth on the cover of Hatross had AWAY written in it, but every time I try and work it out I realise I'm just drunk. Which is nice.
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 21, 2002 04:30     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Being drunk is nice indeed h, I guess I was last night when I wrote all that stuff I was on a Rumple Minze kick, don't know if it was the alcohol (50%) or the sugar!
One more comment about Away's art: If you look closely at the "face" on the cover of Nothingface, there is a hand giving the bird.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan