my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » YEAHHHH DEATH ANGEL!!!!!!!!!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: YEAHHHH DEATH ANGEL!!!!!!!!!!!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 10, 2002 16:22     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Death Angel Announce Full-Fledged Reunion

Source: Blabbermouth.net

San Francisco Bay Area metallers Death Angel have officially reunited as a full-fledged band and have announced plans to write and record a new album, due sometime in late 2003/early 2004.

"A couple nights ago, we had a meeting at a place in my neighborhood called Julie's Supper Club. We really dug deep to see what we all thought of Death Angel and where we wanted to take it. In the end we decided that we're are officially back as a full-on band," bassist Dennis Pepa revealed to Chile's Grinder magazine. "We begin writing for the new album in January 2003. I believe you're the first to know of this! I can't fucking wait! It's gonna be heavy as fuck! We're gonna focus on where we originated from and write a heavy batch of jams. At this point we don't have a record label but we're pretty sure it won't be too hard to get signed (fingers crossed). 'Do I hear any takers?' Hahahahaha!!!!! I hate the fucking record industry. They're all assholes, just like managers and lawyers — they should all die. Seriously."

Pepa also spoke about the group's decision to get back together for last year's Thrash Of The Titans benefit concert for Testament frontman Chuck Billy, which led to additional touring offers and has ultimately resulted in plans to record a new CD.

"For years after we broke up people would ask us to get back together," Pepa stated. "We even had offers to go on tour and record even while we were broken up. We said 'No' to every single offer or thought to put the band back together. Not until we heard about Chuck and the benefit that was for him. We we're invited to play the Thrash of The Titans. We thought that we needed to play this show not for us but, for Chuck Billy and his cause. So we pushed our bullshit aside and finally came to an agreement that we would do this show. So, we actually have Chuck to thank. He was the first reason we got back together in the fist place. That show made us realize that we were meant to be Death Angel."

(Thanks: Cristobal Lagos / Grinder)

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 10, 2002 16:50     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been praying for this shit to happen for years. HELL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 10, 2002 18:26     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I'm Bored" knowing that they are re-uniting

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 10, 2002 22:24     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hex,
Where are these brilliant new bands??? I can't think of any I'd lay down 15 bucks for at the store(well, maybe the new Children of Bodom album). I say bring back the old boys. Especially Cavestany. He smokes any guitar player out there. Sorry, but its the truth.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 10, 2002 22:31     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about the great bands that stuck it thru the low-period of thrash and metal in general, and never actually broke up? Like Overkill for instance, and yes, even the 'Vod, too. (not counting the break up so Eric can leave part)

I'm sick and fucking tired of reunions myself. But at the same time i'm happy that some of them did happen. When Venom reunited and released Cast In Stone, i smiled for months. So i'm guilty of buying into that myself, but then again i have much more respect for the bands that survived all this time.

JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted December 11, 2002 04:17     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never got to see death Angel live, thanks to a reunion, I get to see them next year with Nuclear Assault - that's a good thing right there.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 11, 2002 05:37     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, seems like every band and his mother is reforming right now. Not sure if this is a good thing. But I'm not gonna pass judgement on any of them until I catch them live. If they still rock then bring it on. I'm most curious about how the new Confessor stuff is gonna sound. I don't count Voivod as a reform / comeback thing. They're just getting back on the rails!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 11, 2002 06:27     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DEATH ANGEL...FUCK YEAH!!!!

Although I have totally enjoyed all the other bands spawned from DA breaking up:
The Organization (killer groove metal)
Swarm (as close to DA as you could get)
so I really don't feel this to be jumping on a reunion bandwagon since most of the band have still been active since the demise of DA.

At any rate, if the music rocks, I don't care if it's a band getting back together after 20 years or a new band starting out...it just good music.

I think lables like Sactuary, Spitfire, Castle has proved that these old pioneers of metal still have what it takes to sell cds and make money. You just have to market it different than you do with the new bands. No 8 million dollar videos...let the music sell itself. Great bands don't need multi million dollar videos to sell their music.

I've enjoyed many "reunion" bands: Maiden (thank god they got Bruce back) Metal Church, the original Black Sabbath, Kansas,etc.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 11, 2002 07:12     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YES! This has got to be the best news of this year, along with the good things happening in the Voivod camp! I also managed to miss DA on stage while they were active, so this is a second chance for me. And after seeing the 'new' Destruction live, I can't say I'm not excited of all these reunions. I really really want to hear what Pepa and his company have come up with this time. It's been a seemingly endless time waiting for the follow-up to Act III...
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 11, 2002 07:36     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
what if lametalica produces a real comeback album, as I heard they're going to?

Don't worry. Sometime ago blabbermouth posted a link to a song called "Dead Kennedy Rolls". Crappy as they are now used to be.

On the other hand, some of these reunions are worth seeing. Destruction now, v.g., is a much tighter band than before.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 11, 2002 19:35     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was fortunate enough to see DA the first 3 years they toured, and met them on their van during the Ultra Violence tour where I had them sign their cd booklet, which they didn't even know the album was released on cd.

Rob Cavestany wrote "Death Angel on compact disc! Thanks for the support!"

Dennis wrote "Puke ya guts out"

Andy wrote "Hope you like this cd! Baltimore kills"

Mark wrote "Yeah!!!! The C.D. Thanx rage on eternally"

Gus was nowhere to be found. This was when they played Hammerjacks in 1986...thanks for the memories.

They never failed to impress me and each year got better, tighter, and more mature in their writting.

Voivod and Death Angel tour WOULD FUCKIN' RULE.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 11, 2002 22:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ohhh, don't even go there. What a fantasy. Think DA could have an album together by March? Fuck, why did they wait so long?
tattooedsean777
VoivodFan
Member # 128

posted December 12, 2002 00:46     Profile for tattooedsean777   Email tattooedsean777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
vio-lence,exodus,dark angel, death angel and the mighty voivod!!!

Plus I get to see Opeth live!!

This upcoming year is looking very good!!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 12, 2002 06:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Ohhh, don't even go there. What a fantasy. Think DA could have an album together by March? Fuck, why did they wait so long?

Most of the guys have been playing and touring as SWARM. They did a lot of shows with Jerry Cantrell, so it's not like they have been doing nothing. It sounds like there might have been some problems between members of the band, but I guess they put it behind them. I going to check out what happened to the SWARM web site.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 12, 2002 10:28     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Man, nothing is going on over there. Absolutely nothing. I guess the Swarm experiment failed. About all this reunion talk, have you noticed how all these bands are saying they want to go back to their early metal sound. I think this is because they know a lot of people out there are sick of the deluge of nu-metal bullshit in the mainstream. There is a serious need of an alternative. Now Hex is right. There are some good groups. But not enough. And I think these older bands are responding to this. And Schroed made an excellent point in that Cavestany and company never went away. They've been plugging along this whole time. 2003 is gonna be a great year for metalheads.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 12, 2002 11:14     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
About all this reunion talk, have you noticed how all these bands are saying they want to go back to their early metal sound. I think this is because they know a lot of people out there are sick of the deluge of nu-metal bullshit in the mainstream. There is a serious need of an alternative. Now Hex is right. There are some good groups. But not enough. And I think these older bands are responding to this.

Correct, but let's not forget that metal is huge again, especially in Europe and South America. Hope, though, all the$e comeback$ are only idealistic...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 12, 2002 19:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Cavestany has been one of the most overlooked guitarist, musician, writer, in metal. He's always 'moving onward' and I doubt the new DA album will sound like a rehashed version of "The Ultra Violence". Everything he (and the others) have done was a step in a differnt direction They were never affraid to challenge their audience (like Voivod) and try something different. they were never 'straight ahead metal'. SWARM was great ... but I think DA will be more marketable and will get picked up quickly by a lable like Sanctuary (fuck, they sign King Crimson...so I my book DA would be a perfect addition).

Yeah the SWARM site is the same as when I looked at it a few months ago, and there is no official DA site site (soon I hope)...but there are still 3 cool songs to download, for anyone who wants to hear them. SWARM

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan