my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Metallica search for Bass player

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Metallica search for Bass player
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted December 05, 2002 11:50     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah...so what.
But here is the story anyway.
From Blabbermouth.

:::

METALLICA Launch Bassist Search: 'The Vibe Is The Most Important Thing' - Dec. 4, 2002

METALLICA's search to replace bassist Jason Newsted officially got underway last week, the group have announced via their web site (www.metallica.com).

The band, who split with Newsted in January 2001 following disagreements over Jason's then-side project ECHOBRAIN, had previously maintained that they would wait until they had finished the recordings for their new album before they started looking for Newsted's replacement. However, as drummer Lars Ulrich explained in the latest video update posted in the "Jump In The Studio" section of the group's web site, the Bay Area-based band's original plan had to be abandoned in order to avoid the possibility of a lengthy lag between the album's completion and the kick-off date of the group's subsequent world tour.

"We ain't gonna do a lot of touring without a proper bass player, and we kind of realized that if we were going to not start the bass player thing until the record was done, we might end up in a situation like we usually do where there's three weeks between the end of a record and the beginning of a tour, and then we might end up in a really stupid, pressure situation, trying to get some guy and we don't have a lot of time," Ulrich said. "And that's why we started [auditioning bassists]."

Unlike the last time the band held bassist auditions (in 1986, following Cliff Burton's tragic death), METALLICA have opted to try out candidates by invitation only — with all of the hopefuls being well-known musicians who have the necessary skills and experience to get the job done.

"We are excited jamming with people, getting a vibe with them," guitarist/vocalist James Hetfield explained. "The vibe is [the] most important [thing]. We know the people we've got on our list can play. And it's very important that our personalities vibe, and that this person is going to be around for a long time. We don't want just someone coming in and then being gone – we don't like the revolving door syndrome."

"We don't want rent-a-bass-player, we don't want mercenaries, we want someone that we can be proud to say to [the fans] and the rest of the universe that this guy is in METALLICA, he's a brother, and he's part of the team," Ulrich added. "And also somebody who can give us some strength."

"Someone who can add a dimension – not just someone who can hang out," Hetfield clarified.

METALLICA, who have thus far jammed with one candidate, will have another hopeful coming in on Thursday (Dec. 5), and will try out several more applicants over the course of the next couple of months. However, out of respect for the musicians seeking to fill the slot, they will not be revealing any of the candidates' identities.

"It's not right and it's not fair for any of us to disclose who any of those bass players are, because that puts undue pressure on them, somehow, in some way," guitarist Kirk Hammett explained. "And also, we don't wanna give more fuel to the rumor mill, because I'm sure that anyone we name will be seen as a reflection on us and what we are doing at this moment."

Hetfield, Ulrich and Hammett have thus far completed seven tracks with producer Bob Rock for inclusion on the band's as-yet-untitled new CD, tentatively due in late spring/early summer through Elektra Records. Rock has played the basslines for the current album, but the band have said he will not join them on the road.

|  IP: Logged
manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted December 05, 2002 13:24     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
J-Y, you should apply; bet the pay is good

and it would be very funny

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted December 06, 2002 04:54     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well I suppose I could help them out, but they'd need to ask me first. I dont just sign up to any old band these days

A mature musician such as myself must maintain a state of pride

JasonsAngel
VoivodFan
Member # 144

posted December 06, 2002 11:13     Profile for JasonsAngel   Email JasonsAngel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bob Rock isn't the band's official and permanent bassist. He is just doing the bass tracks for the recording. Bob and the guys from the Metallica camp did tell everyone that Bob is NOT their actual bassist...two reasons being is that Bob is Metallica's producer and is busy enough with all his cutsie little producing duties and does not like the exhaustive tours that Metallica always does. It would be so f'n hillarious to see Bob up on the stage though! The band would have to stop after every song so Bob could get a snack lmao! I just had to give Bob a hard time there hehe...he's so fun to mess with. I have nothing against Metallica....never have or ever will, but Bob is annoying and whines all the time
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted December 06, 2002 11:53     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I should join, that would be funny!
or maybe just sad

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted December 06, 2002 13:24     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blacky:
I think I should join, that would be funny!
or maybe just sad

I think it would be an Improvement for Metallica!
I would have to see that!

Go for it, J-Y!

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted December 06, 2002 14:14     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
no no , not sad hilarious
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted December 06, 2002 14:16     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
manipulator you just want to go on tour again as a road ho, don't you?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 06, 2002 22:03     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Iw ould aggere with this stahtemnent cause I nkeo Blacky can play hti instryment he's very googd playerhn on the bass gueithear and hthat the ryhtrryyytge c IUncan feel m y fingers on theis khjeybosard
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted December 06, 2002 23:08     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
playing for metallica could be a retirement plan, sign me up for my 401K
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 07, 2002 19:06     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rumors are circulating Mike Inez is going to join them on bass. I hope not. He did a great job with AIC. He's too talented to join Gaytallica. Maybe Ron McGovney wants to rejoin. Or they should place a X-mass tree on stage instead of a bass player. Bass players are not THAT important (BUT ARE IMPOTENT) in MetallicASS.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted December 07, 2002 20:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm thinking it might be one of the folling:
Dave Ellefson (actually,Mustaine even stated this would be a wise choice)
Joey Vera
or Mike Inez

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 08, 2002 02:52     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blacky:
playing for metallica could be a retirement plan, sign me up for my 401K

Do you know something we don't?

*hint* *hint*

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan