my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » MindFuck Music

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MindFuck Music
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 02, 2002 09:27     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, the following was ripped from my post about car stickers, but I wanted it to be seen by all of you:

quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Negativeland is a band. http://www.negativland.com/

'Negativwho?
What is Negativland? As a group (Mark Hosler, Chris Grigg, Don Joyce, David Wills, and Richard Lyons), they do create music, but calling Negativland a mere "band" doesn't do them justice. On their recordings, they appropriate, dissect, juxtapose, scramble, reassemble, and regurgitate sonic material culled from a variety of sources--anything from network and shortwave broadcasts to private phone conversations and family recordings made in the kitchen. They mix this with an equally eclectic variety of instruments--keyboards, guitars, effects boxes, samplers, tape loops, squeeze toys, and so on. The end result is incredibly funny, often making a wry social comment; but it also has a strange coherence among its myriad layers, unparalleled by similar efforts of other groups.

I am glad you brought up Negativeland.
For you and anyone else who is interested in this kind of 'Music', I have two excellent suggestions.

1. Severed Heads - Especially the early stuff.
They are similar to NL, but much more abstract and mind-bending.
Recommended titles (to start) -
'Clifford Darling, Please Don't Live In the Past' or 'Blubberknife'.
The later stuff is more techno but just as good.
I have a feature on S.H. here:

Severed Heads Feature

Trust me, you will never be the same.
Also, don't miss Tom Ellard's side project called 'Co Kla Coma' which continues in the earlier S.H. vein.
All the info is there.

The next one is a newer, much more obscure artist.
This one is even more similar to NL, but probably the weirdest of all.

2. Amphibifudd - This shit is Prime Mindfuck. Do not let it slip by.
I have a feature and a brand new interview with the mastermind behind this madness here:

Amphibifudd Feature

Amphibifudd Interview (guess who's a Voivod Fan?)

Both of these artists provide plenty of samples of their wares and downloadables for the taking.

I hope you enjoy this stuff.

|  IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 02, 2002 11:01     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, Negativland! Wasn't this the band sued into the ground by U2?

(not actually U2, they liked the 'treatment', but the evil record company!)

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted December 02, 2002 12:11     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Violence And The Sacred was a "group" that my high school buddies and I found on Brave New Waves (CBC Radio). Very fucked up, trippy, disturbing stuff. Here is a website about them: http://www.indegraph.com/hotel/viosac/
I actually recorded a full 90 min cassette worth of my own brand of "experimental noise music" some years ago. I have been meaning to digitize or redo some of it, but haven't gotten around to it. I called the project Cachexia and the cassette (which features the other guys from the band I was in at the time and some friends) is called Auditory Insanity. The basic jist: Too much LSD, weed and Beer.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 04, 2002 20:19     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Violence And The Sacred was a "group" that my high school buddies and I found on Brave New Waves (CBC Radio). Very fucked up, trippy, disturbing stuff. Here is a website about them: http://www.indegraph.com/hotel/viosac/
I actually recorded a full 90 min cassette worth of my own brand of "experimental noise music" some years ago. I have been meaning to digitize or redo some of it, but haven't gotten around to it. I called the project Cachexia and the cassette (which features the other guys from the band I was in at the time and some friends) is called Auditory Insanity. The basic jist: Too much LSD, weed and Beer.

I went to the site, but the sound samples were not functional.
That's a pity, because they sound interesting -
("Throbbing Gristle enthusiasts"? -gotta love that)

If you ever digitize your stuff, please keep me informed.
napalmzappa@astound.net

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted December 05, 2002 04:58     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Ah, Negativland! Wasn't this the band sued into the ground by U2?

(not actually U2, they liked the 'treatment', but the evil record company!)

Yep, they got sued along with their record company. They both lost and it collapsed the record company which almost took Negativland with them.
Apparantly there was all kinds of fall-out beyond this event which kept the band from doing much at all for years.
Their stuff used to be rare as gold dust in the UK, but now you can download a lot of the albums from emusic.com (for a price, obviously.)

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan