my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Early gigs...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early gigs...
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted December 02, 2002 06:41     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was just reading this interview where Blacky says that Voivod opening for Venom at the Ritz was their 25th show, so I figured I'd start building a list of Voivod's early gigs, starting from gig number 1 (6/25/83) to number 25 (4/5/86).
Any additional info/correction is welcome. Please note that dates are converted in your silly american notation standard (m/d/y)

1. 6/25/83* Jonquière, QC (Anachronism demo)
==========================================
11/9/83 Jonquière, QC (opening for Exciter)
11/11/83 Rimouski, QC (opening for Exciter)
1/29/84 Jonquière, QC
4/17/84* Montreal, QC
7/11/84* The Spectrum, Montreal, QC
12/21/84 Montreal, QC
12/22/84* Montreal, QC (Morgöth Invasion demo)
--/--/85 Salon de la jeunesse, Montreal, QC
4/29/85 Polyvalente St-Henry, Montreal, QC
--/--/85* Polyvalente, Jonquière, QC
--/--/85* Québec City, QC
--/--/85 High School(s) shows in Québec (7 dates)
11/30/85* WW3, Montreal, QC
2/7/86* location unknown (date unsure)
==========================================
25. 4/5/86* The Ritz

I'm missing 5 or 6 to match the aforementioned 25. The * after dates indicates that a recording exists.

Any help much welcome! Maybe from Blacky himself, especially about the 7 high-school shows.

|  IP: Logged
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 14, 2003 04:51     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey people, my feelings are a little hurt that no one even responded to this topic...

anyone has any more information?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 14, 2003 05:00     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry mate! I haven't got a clue on this. Anyone else?
Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted January 14, 2003 06:31     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In 1986 i was 6 years old, listening to nursery tales tapes ... sorry, can't help
But i got my first metal casette in 1989, it was an Iron Maiden best of, compiled by my cousin especially for me I really liked it.

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 14, 2003 10:12     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I seem to remember this being around that time? 85 / 86

I beleive this was the Vod's first visit to the UK?
http://www.voivodfan.com/img/sp09-9.jpg

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted January 14, 2003 10:16     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, let me clarify that - this was NEARLY Voi-vod's first trip to the UK

Something about Belgian customs as I remember?

Fireface
VoivodFan
Member # 51

posted January 14, 2003 10:32     Profile for Fireface   Email Fireface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
wow, I was 20 in 1986, I'm old. Wonder when I'm going to grow up and stop listening to thrash and death metal? I'll probably hang on to my old Exodus and Slayer tours shirts, they will probably fit better when I get in the retirement home and eat mushy foods.

Holy shit warcorpse!! You're as old as I am: 36. Ouch!! Born in '66! Nice ring to it, eh?

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted January 14, 2003 10:34     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks very much for the link to the flyer, Pup... I was actually looking for that one but couldn't remember where I'd seen it...

and I may be wrong, but Voïvod's first visit to the UK has to have taken place at the Electric Ballroom, London on Nov 24th 1986, when they first toured Europe with Deathrow and Possessed...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted January 14, 2003 11:50     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're right there Outcast. They played over here before the megadeth show that never was. Unfortunately I missed it, and thought I'd see them on the next tour. I did, but I didn't think I'd have to wait 7 years for it to happen (TOL tour)! I've only missed 1 London show since (that was the Phobos tour and I was out of the country at the time!)
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 09, 2003 07:39     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
in the light of Voivod's first gig recent 20th anniversary and Blacky's priceless comments along with Neutronboy's excellent *early biography*, I'll seize the opportunity to bring this fucker to the top (again)...

any further info would be much appreciated, the 2/7/86 show is in fact the show from 7/2/86 in Québec City... I'd still like to know a bit more...

Blacky, are you there?

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 11, 2003 05:02     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hey, some interest in Voivod's earlier stuff... cool! check out Spectrum 11/7/84 too, that's when they opened for Mercyful Fate...

btw, I'd like to thank the Blackened One for his feedback... interesting answers to my questions...

LivingEvil
unregistered

posted August 11, 2003 12:06       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod & Exciter,now there's a show i would love to have seen.Two of Canada's Best!!!!
and it just happens to be two of my 3 number 1 bands.

IP: Logged
neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted August 12, 2003 19:44     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello Outcast...
This is Neutron responding with "loud echoes from the end.." to explain my delay. Personal/work chaos has been very distracting-I'll elaborate in a seperate email.I'm still working on your tapes(I haven't forgot) and they'll be out sometime next week.I know someone out there on this sphere called Earth has to have some early Voivod gigs w/Sword,Exciter,Slaughter somewhere.Make yourselves "aware" to this forum and correspond!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted August 13, 2003 04:13     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neutronboy2000:
Hello Outcast...
This is Neutron responding with "loud echoes from the end.." to explain my delay. Personal/work chaos has been very distracting-I'll elaborate in a seperate email.I'm still working on your tapes(I haven't forgot) and they'll be out sometime next week.I know someone out there on this sphere called Earth has to have some early Voivod gigs w/Sword,Exciter,Slaughter somewhere.Make yourselves "aware" to this forum and correspond!

okay then...
I'll stay well behaved, waiting for the mail...
they opened for Exciter on 11/09/83 in Jonquière and on 11/11/83 in Rimouski... they played with Sword (and DDT) on 6/29/85... yeah that would be cool to lay down hands on such early recordings...

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted December 07, 2003 22:46     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
I figured I'd start building a list of Voivod's early gigs, starting from gig number 1 (6/25/83) to number 25 (4/5/86)

good idea, makes me think if anyone knows how many shows VoiVod has played since the first ? that would be the "master list"

possably a hunt down of a recording for each also.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted December 08, 2003 03:56     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hatröss:
possably a hunt down of a recording for each also.

well, I have 460+ records between 6/25/83 and 8/28/03... I have to add about 20 dates from the TOL US tour and I'm still missing a lot of dates for 90 and 95-99...
that would make at least 500+ from the beginning, if you do the math this is only about 25 shows a year but they have had more than a quiet period since 1991...
look below and read as follows:
year...played / recorded (possibly recorded)
83....5 / 2
84....5 / 3
85...13 / 3
86...43 / 20 (5)
87...51 / 24 (8)
88...32 / 11 (2)
89....2 / 1
90...30 / 15 (4)
91....2 / 1 (1)
92....3 / 2
93...42 / 11
94....9 / 4 (4)
95....9 / 3 (1)
96...39 / 28 (1)
97...15 / 9
98....8 / 5 (1)
99...45 / 10 (2)
00...29 / 2 (2)
01....1 / 1
02....5 / 2 (2)
03...61 / 11

years 83-89 and 01-03 are complete.
total played 459+
total recorded 167
total possibly recorded 33 (yet to unveil)

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted December 09, 2003 07:21     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
among the 33 that were most possibly recorded and which are yet to find out, the following are included:
Metro, Chicago, IL 5/31/86 1st of tour
Edifice (?), Québec City, QC 4/19/87 or 4/20 1st of tour
Spectrum, Montreal, QC 4/21/87
St.Andrews Hall, Detroit, MI 1/13/90 1st of tour
Backstreets, Montreal, QC ?/91 LAST BLACKY
Huxley's, Berlin, Ger 11/95 featd. on Kronik
Québec City, QC 7/13/99 opening for Maiden
Montreal, QC 7/14/99 opening for Maiden
Montreal, QC 4/28/02 opening for Motörhead

c'mon, let the quest begin!!!

--------------------

I hear the things you say but tell me...
what do you mean?

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan