my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Who is the baddest drummer in metal today?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who is the baddest drummer in metal today?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 30, 2002 14:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Two keywords here: METAL and TODAY

So I don't want to hear about Peart and Bonham.

Ok, well, I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to go ahead and answer this question myself.

The baddest mofo out there is

BRANN DAILOR formerly of Lethargyand now in the mighty Mastadon

He is the end all, be all of metal drumming eating the rest of the bastards out there for lunch.

I dare you people to challenge this answer!!!

|  IP: Logged
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted November 30, 2002 14:41     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok he's a real mofo, but there's an obvious challenger:

Flo Mounier of Cryptopsy

And (in a different style) Mikkey Dee of Motorhead is one of the best!

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted November 30, 2002 17:51     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pete Sandoval of Morbid Angel, or Mick Harris in his Napalm Death days. Both animals behind the drumkit...
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 30, 2002 18:46     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That dude from Nevermore is pretty good. Hellhammer (Mayhem, Arcturus, Kovenant, any other band) is supreme. Sean Reinert (what's up with this guy today, his work in Aghora ruled) is still one of my favs...
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted December 02, 2002 03:11     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He, last time i saw KISS in 2000, utrecht Holland.
PETER CRISS was drumming then. I heard a lot of drumming noises but he almost didn't move at all. The drumsolo made me laugh (sorry).
I went to the toilet till it was over...

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted December 02, 2002 08:48     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, the guy from Disturbed is pretty fucking mediocre. Not as bad as Lars.

No. Lars wasn't a bad drummer, just a bad person. A cunt, let's say.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 02, 2002 08:56     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As I'm unable to just picking one, I'll go for Hellhammer, Nick Barker (both in Dimmu and Lock Up), the more than obvious Pete Sandoval, Doc from Vader, the Mastodon guy, Brann Dailor, Mikkey Dee (good one, Neutrino!) and Raymond Herrera (some of you guys may not like FF, but he is a monster).
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 03, 2002 20:45     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
Raymond Herrera (some of you guys may not like FF, but he is a monster).

Just like a "well-oiled" MACHINE !!! No-one can deny the fact that the fucker has FEET not of this earth! I would say as far as rythym..he's perfect 4/4 time, usually keeping time with his hats and snare while his feet are all over the goddamned place!

Ventor from Kreator should also be mentioned, he has definitely evolved into a worthy "skins-man", especially if you compare his skills nowadays to the album "Endless Pain!"

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted December 03, 2002 23:25     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Charlie Watts
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 04, 2002 06:05     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
BRANN DAILOR formerly of Lethargyand now in the mighty Mastadon

Gotta agree with you there. Love what he's doing on Remission.

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted December 05, 2002 01:04     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What about that guy from Discordance Axis?
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 05, 2002 07:21     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. Gene 'The Machine' Hoglan of SYL, Death, Dark Angel, etc
(Better known as 'Girth Brooks'):
speed, size and aggression mix well.

2. Josh Sinder of The Accused and The Hot Rod Lunatics:
feet FAST AS FUCK, (NO TRIGGERS!) and incredibly precise and consistent.

3. Danny Hererra of Napalm Death:
Will this man EVER get the props he deserves?

...well those 3 were the first to come to mind; there are so many.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 05, 2002 08:21     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
3. Danny Hererra of Napalm Death:
Will this man EVER get the props he deserves?

This may sound sacrilege, but I always found him to be WAAAAY better than Mick Harris. And he is surely missing in my above list. Thanks for reminding me, Tangento.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 05, 2002 13:37     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention Dennis The Menace from Macabre.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 05, 2002 14:14     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nate Carson:
What about that guy from Discordance Axis?

Yeah, how did I forget about him?

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted December 05, 2002 15:22     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
This may sound sacrilege, but I always found him to be WAAAAY better than Mick Harris. And he is surely missing in my above list. Thanks for reminding me, Tangento.

I agree pretty much, but "The Human Tornado" could unleash furious blast beat-insanity like no other.

It just seems that Danny is a more well-rounded drummer,
and this is very evident in the increased musical and rhythmic
technicality and complexity of ND's last few releases.

Mick sure was fun to watch, though.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 05, 2002 17:15     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As the self-appointed judge of this little contest I've yet to see a real contender who could defeat the almighty BRANN. Except for maybe Flo. The ND guys???? Huhhhhhh????? Mickey Dee?????

C'mon people!!!

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted December 05, 2002 17:47     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. Danny Hererra, ND
2. Stephen shelton, Confessor
3. Dave Lombardo

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted December 06, 2002 00:52     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
1. Gene 'The Machine' Hoglan of Dark Angel.

I just thought of something incredibly funny: Remember the vid "Ultimate Revenge 2" during Dark Angel's set when the camera suddenly and predictably "pans down" to show Gene's legs as he goes into some double-bass?

Talk about Jello in a fricken' earthquake!!!

But the fucker still could FLY!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 06, 2002 08:49     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Mickey Dee?????

Lemme tell you a story about him. Have you heard King Diamond's Conspiracy album? Good drumming, don't you think? In case you never heard it, check it out.

Thing is, Mikkey played ALL the drum tracks with a metronome. ONLY a metronome, no other instrument as a guide. Can he play drums or what?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 06, 2002 09:39     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcloud of Deicide:
I just thought of something incredibly funny: Remember the vid "Ultimate Revenge 2" during Dark Angel's set when the camera suddenly and predictably "pans down" to show Gene's legs as he goes into some double-bass?

Talk about Jello in a fricken' earthquake!!!

But the fucker still could FLY!

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!! YES! The two things I remember about that vid(hadn't seen it in over 7 years)are the fantastic performance by Forbidden and and Geno's legs. Thanks for reminding me Blackcloud!

Cthon
Member # 156

posted December 10, 2002 21:06     Profile for Cthon   Email Cthon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. Dave Lombardo
2. Away
3. Bill from ALL/Descendents/Black Flag
4. and fuck, Dave Grohl is a BAD motherfucker on the new QOTSA.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan