my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Away's drumming influences?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Away's drumming influences?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 23, 2002 21:38     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was listening to the Sonic Uynon show yesterday and I never realized it before but you can really hear Away's drums on that recording. And I was wondering, there has got to be some punk influence on his style? I mean what is that just straight up Motorhead or somebody else that I'm hearing in his playing? I'm talking about pre-Dimension songs here. Are there other old punk or hardcore groups that have this amazing beat? And don't tell me the Dead Kennedys. I've heard their drums and this ain't it. Exploited perhaps?
 |  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 23, 2002 22:00     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know about his influences, but one thing's for sure:

His "drumming" on Nothingface surpasses anything that he's ever done and probably will ever do. (unfortuanately)

And by no means am I saying that any drum performance he's done before or since Nothingface sucks, it's just that I've always felt that Glen Robinson must have "pushed" him to do his best simply by listening to the disc: FLAWLESS, imho.

Nothingface rules!!! (obviously)

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 24, 2002 04:14     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
I was listening to the Sonic Uynon show yesterday and I never realized it before but you can really hear Away's drums on that recording. And I was wondering, there has got to be some punk influence on his style? I mean what is that just straight up Motorhead or somebody else that I'm hearing in his playing? I'm talking about pre-Dimension songs here. Are there other old punk or hardcore groups that have this amazing beat? And don't tell me the Dead Kennedys. I've heard their drums and this ain't it. Exploited perhaps?

Sorry Mez' upon re-reading your question, I fucked it all up for myself!

Anyone ever "try" those new Jack Daniel's Hard Cola's?

Yeah, I guess I should stop "trying" 'em myself tonight.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 24, 2002 07:21     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcloud of Deicide:
Sorry Mez' upon re-reading your question, I fucked it all up for myself!

Anyone ever "try" those new Jack Daniel's Hard Cola's?

Yeah, I guess I should stop "trying" 'em myself tonight.

Jack Daniels Hard Cola's? Sounds good... I love Jack Daniels Cola, but this one sounds really promising...

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 28, 2002 01:10     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Away in several interviews I can recall has mentioned being influenced by punk music, but has never thrown out any names.

About that Jack Daniel's Hard Cola, it doesn't even have real Jack Daniel's whiskey in it! Just like all that other sugar-laced PISS that has come out in the past two years: Smirnoff Ice, Sky Blue, Slolichnaya Sumthin, Cpt. Morgan's Puke, etc...They're all made with malt liquor, not true spirits.

Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted November 28, 2002 16:50     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Voivod last New Year's eve at Foufounes Électroniques and they were doing a Sex Pistols Tribute. Xavier Caféine was on vocal and Vince from Groovy Aardvark was on bass. It was a great show. I remember 5 years ago, on Musique Plus, there was an interview with Away, Claude Rajotte ask him which album had influenced him the most. There was :
1. Never mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols
2. Ace of Spades - Motorhead
3. ??? - Bauhaus
4. ??? - Von der Graf Generator
5. ??? - Tool

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 29, 2002 03:45     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I can definitely hear Bauhaus in there, and the 'Head.

As for Tool, in his fuckin' dreams maybe!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted November 29, 2002 08:02     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GBH... Discharge...
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 29, 2002 09:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuclear infusion:
About that Jack Daniel's Cola, it doesn't even have real Jack Daniel's whiskey in it! Just like all that other sugar-laced PISS that has come out in the past two years: Smirnoff Ice, Sky Blue, Slolichnaya Sumthin, Cpt. Morgan's Puke, etc...They're all made with malt liquor, not true spirits.

What a shame... Fuck it, I like it anyway!!!

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted November 30, 2002 03:12     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
What a shame... Fuck it, I like it anyway!!!

Hey Slaytanic, I screwed up in my original message, I just now edited it. The Jack Daniel's Cola you like (which has been around for a long time) DOES have real whiskey in it. The new "Hard" Cola is the one with malt liquor. Sorry for the confusion!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 01, 2002 00:04     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
GBH... Discharge...

I think the Outcast got it right. I'll try to listen to the Sonic show tomorrow so I can specifically tell you which song I'm talking about. Wish they'd been running a tape through the soundboard. I love the way Piggy's guitar sounds. Like a brokedown chainsaw spitting out smoke.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan