my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Totally new f'n topic! (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Totally new f'n topic!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 26, 2002 11:04     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fav Hockey Players?

Curtis Joseph - Detroit Goalie
Dominique Hasek - Retired (Detroit)
Mike Modano - Dallas
Jason Arnott - Dallas
Tie Domi - Toronto
Andy McKay - Montreal? Columbus?
Scott Stephens - New Jersey

Blah blah blah...

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted November 26, 2002 12:57     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey I've been to North Dakota. And Winnipeg (my Dad is from there). The Hanson Brothers are kee-razy.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 26, 2002 13:28     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
Ahh, the hockey thread's back!

I'm not a Penguins fan (or any other NHL team in particular), but Super Mario is one player I respect. Incredible skills and especially his eye for what's going on in the rink all the time amazes me. It's a blur of colors for most players out there, but not for him. Who's your fave player, KKS, Tangento & rest of the hockey fans?

Lemeiux is unbelievable.
Every time the team has four goals, he has points on at least 3 of them!
If he were to play for as long as Gretzky, he would probably pass him up on many records.

Regardless, my all-time fave is Gretzky.
A once-in a century talent, who did more to spread the word of Hockey in North America than anyone could have ever dreamed.
Do you hear me, Anaheim, Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville, Florida, etc??

As for goons, Bob Probert is probably the most epic gladiator in the history of the game.
Him or Dave 'The Hammer' Schultz' of Philly's 'Broadstreet Bullies' era.
Marty McSorley was one TOUGH mother F-er too.

Goalies? Hasek is the most contortionist, freak of nature goalie EVER. (modern era)
Kelly Hrudey was cool cuz he had long hair and almost helped the Kings to a Stanley Cup.

My current faves are Jason Allison of the Kings, one of the most dominating one-on-one players in the game,
(after Lemeiux, of course)
and John Leclair, (click) who is the the first American-born player to reach the 50-goal mark three times, and reached 40+ goals in 5 consecutive seasons. (awesome)
Leclair is also a class individual,
as are most hockey players, especially compared to other ego-dominated American sports.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 26, 2002 14:02     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Out' my way BEEOTCH

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 27, 2002 00:21     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
Have you ever been up to The Great White North known as Winnipeg?

Actually the farthest north into Canada from ND was the Peace Gardens, in other words..I didn't make it very far!!

Of course now I live in WA state, and the farthest north from here that I've made it is Vancouver, in other words..Also NOT very far!!!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 27, 2002 07:22     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
Leclair is also a class individual,
as are most hockey players, especially compared to other ego-dominated American sports.

That's probably because hockey demands good team spirit. There's no room for anyone's ego on the ice because the game is so fast and success more than often relies on good teamwork, not so much on individual skills alone. One thing I admire in the Canadian and U.S.-born players is the 'fighting spirit', they believe in their team's chances and keep fighting to the end even if the opponent seems near-impossible to beat. And when the loss is unavoidable, they start a big fight

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 27, 2002 08:05     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is strange.

I have never seen a Thread split into Two concurrent and ongoing conversations!

Hockey...and North Dakota...but not North Dakota Hockey! lol!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 27, 2002 10:05     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's splitting into a third now:
Hey Slaytanic, seeing as you and I know diddly shit about hockey, let's talk football players (not the american sort).
Ever heard of Peter Beardsley? Ugliest man alive but in his day he would have run rings round that Ronaldo fella!!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted November 27, 2002 13:17     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's not unusual Kula, especially with a board as full of multiple personalities as this one.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 27, 2002 16:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Hey Slaytanic, seeing as you and I know diddly shit about hockey, let's talk football players (not the american sort).
Ever heard of Peter Beardsley? Ugliest man alive but in his day he would have run rings round that Ronaldo fella!!

Can't say I did. Is he English? But it's no big deal to "run rings" around Ronaldo these days. Check the recent Brazil X South Korea match for evidence...

But one damn good English player I've seen playing (besides Owen, of course) is Lineker. He was a great football player.

BTW, have you ever heard of Dario, aka "Dadá Maravilha"? He was a late contemporary of Pelé, Rivelino, Tostão. The man could barely dominate a ball properly, but he scored 900+ times in his pro career. There is even a (true) story of his from the 1970 World Cup. He was training with the rest of guys (i.e., Pelé, Rivelino, Gerson and the sort). Thing is, Pelé saw his, hummm, "style" of, err..., "playing", came to him and said:

"Man, I wonder what are you doin' here. You can't kick properly, you can't do a corner properly, you can't even control the damn ball, for Christ's sake, and you are HERE, with the best players of our country! YOU are the GENIUS here, not the rest of us!"

Every time he tells this very story, even today, a smile shines on his face...

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 27, 2002 16:43     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sorry, but Ball-Kickers arent allowed in this Thread.

Please see the one called 'Popular Male Bath Houses of the Footballers Federation.'

Just kidding. Please dont kill me.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted November 27, 2002 17:36     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard about Beardsley, didn't he play for Newcastle United?
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 28, 2002 07:44     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've also heard of the man. There was even some kind of a soccer game for the C-64 and maybe Amiga in the 80's that had his name in the title, "Peter Beardsley's Soccer Challenge" or sth like that I've never seen him play, which probably is a shame.
But I bet Lemieux would kick his ass in a celebrity deathmatch!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 03, 2002 08:58     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
15:36. It's pitch dark outside, except for the dim lights coming from the city. There's snow everywhere. The ground is covered with rough ice, and I feel no desire to go out. What should I do? Hmm...maybe I'll check what's going on in the movies. Ah, the new 007. There's a link to the official movie page...cool...what, Finlandia Vodka is one of the sponsors? Let's see where that link leads...
http://www.finlandiavodka.com/icebar/fr_icebar.htm

As you can prolly detect, I need a drink!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 04, 2002 06:40     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great story about Dario, Slaytanic! I heard of the player, but I haven't heard that story before. Lineker was a good player in his day. Got a reputation for being a bit of a 'goal-hanger' though.
Beardsley did play for Newcastle (among others), and he did have his own game on the C64. I never played it though. I was always into Kick-off myself.. and then sensible soccer came along and ruined my social life! Anyway, that Beardsley fella is not only a genius, but he's uglier than any living being too. You'll never catch him in some poncy david beckham gucci dress!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 04, 2002 09:02     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'poncy'...now that's a word I've never heard before! Please h or sb, clear that one up for me!
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 04, 2002 09:12     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Collins English Dictionary has the following entry:
Ponce - n Offensive. Effeminate man; pimp. Ponce around v act stupidly, waste time.
Hope that helps!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 04, 2002 11:37     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe, thank you! Now, shall we learn some Finnish today?
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted December 04, 2002 12:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I hear the Brits speak I wonder how in the hell we're descended from these people. Course I've heard that someone from France can have the same problems understanding someone from Quebec.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted December 04, 2002 12:32     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:
Hehe, thank you! Now, shall we learn some Finnish today?

A few years ago a band I was in toured Europe and we had a bet to see who could get slapped by a young lady in all of the nightclubs after the gigs. No contact was allowed, only verbal approaches. We found that the phrase 'Get in the fucking kitchen' was the most effective, so we learnt it in every different language in order to win the challenge. Childish behaviour, I know, but it led to some very funny encounters. We never went to Finland though, so perhaps you can enlighten me!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 05, 2002 08:50     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahaha! I don't doubt a moment the efficiency of that phrase

Anyway, since my mother tongue is way different from English, I'm going to include a pronunciation help also...here we go: Sun paikkas on vittu keittiössä!

I'm trying phonetic description w/ standard letters [sun paik-kas on vit-tu keit-tioes-sae]

As you might see, Finnish is close to a What-you-see-is-what-you-get language. Almost all letters have only one possible pronunciation regardless of their position in a word. Okay, let's get on with this shit:

Note that there is absolutely no phonetic aspiration in Finnish. So for example the English word "cat" would be pronounced in the same way as "bat" or "dat" , i.e. no noticeable outward breathing happening.

That "oe" means "ö", which is equivalent to the vowel sound in "burn" or the article "a". Finns may say that with more rounded lips, making it a bit stronger.
"ae" means "ä", and is just like the first vowel sound in "animal" or "ass".

Then finally, those double consonants are a bit tricky. They are dealt as two partially interlapping letters (or one very slowly pronounced letter), not just one letter or two separately pronounced letters. So, when you reach the first "t" in the word "vittu", you just hold your tongue against the back of your front teeth for roughly the amount of time it would take to say two "t"'s in a row quickly. Of course there is no sound coming from your mouth while doing that, but that's just the way we speak Then you say the rest of the "t" and add the final "u", making a sound like English "to" but without the aspiration. Just think of the word as two syllables glued together, "vit-tu" and you'll be fine. Same rules apply to "paik-ka" as well.

BTW the translation is very free-form, a direct one would probably only baffle the person it was said to. I can't even be sure if this is near the correct translation, but I'm sure you'll get the message through if you use this

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted December 05, 2002 09:18     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, forgot the double "s" in the end of the final word "keit-ti-ös-sä" (in the kitchen). Just pretend you're a Snake and hiss two s's without breaking once!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted December 05, 2002 11:13     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great HOCKEY game last night...

Dallas 5, Montreal 1.

BOO-YA! Montreal, Quebec Nutheads!

Dallas is #1.

Spawn_of_SATAN_666
VoivodFan
Member # 62

posted December 05, 2002 17:40     Profile for Spawn_of_SATAN_666   Email Spawn_of_SATAN_666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yesterday i took my son to the e.r.(he has asthma)
he was pucking all over the place
it was kool he was like that chick on exorisit expt was orange juice.
he had a really bad weeze, he had bronchictis, when he was asleep in the hospitale I did the hankey pankey in the bathroom w/ my lover and now i am so bye
p.s. king never works out he is a couch potatoe

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted December 06, 2002 08:40     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
We found that the phrase 'Get in the fucking kitchen' was the most effective, so we learnt it in every different language in order to win the challenge.

In case you come to Brazil (or go to Portugal):

Volta pra porra da cozinha!!!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan