my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Today is the Day

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Today is the Day
pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 19, 2002 15:38     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, everybody.
Today is the day has a new one out called Sadness will prevail. Has anyone heard this one?

I saw them play before Voivod back in 96 and they blew me away. he album must be crazy and lasts 145 minutes they say.
They speak about a sadomastichistic Rock opera.........

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 19, 2002 16:59     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I was interested in this band too because of the Mastadon connection, but then I read this review from Blistering.com. Course this guy may be full of shit, who knows:

"I've heard Today Is the Day being referred to as everything from grindcore, to sludge, to "experimental", to noise, to progressive and everything in between, but after having finally heard them with this double album, the only label I can place on them is "pretentious crap". It's unfortunate, really, since there are some strokes of brilliance scattered across these two CDs, but the band just can't seem to develop any kind of consistency or momentum, which ultimately renders this 2-hours-plus of music extremely boring.

It's really not at all unfathomable that Mastodon, an incredibly and consistently fun band, was spun off from Today Is The Day. After all, a lot of the more progressive riffing heard on Sadness Will Prevail very closely echoes that on Lifesblood and Remission. But unlike Mastodon, TISD can't keep up a good thing, often having these riffs trail off into incongruous pieces of experimental/noise/sludge/whatever. Likewise, just when the band seems like they're developing some type of convincingly grim atmosphere during the Khanate/Burning Witch-esque portions that they'll sustain, they curtail that passage in favor of starting up more momentum-killing nonsense. This continues in a vicious cycle throughout both discs and is topped off by some of the most annoying vocals I've ever been subjected to. Two hours is simply FAR too long to be subjected to something as tedious as this... I mean, I'm all for getting more bang for the buck where music is concerned, but this is just overkill.

To add insult to injury, the packaging is an abomination. The 2CD case is one of those that opens from the right, rather than the left [I &^%#ing HATE that] and refuses to securely hold the discs in place; the insert contains no lyrics, liner notes that are very difficult to read and really poor quality individual shorts of the band members; and the tracklist on the back needs to be deciphered painstakingly to figure out which track is which and where one disc ends and the next begins. Relapse really dropped the ball on this one, unless it was intentional, in which case it's just in very poor taste. Thumbs down. "

By: R. Temin

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted November 22, 2002 02:14     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well it is sold out af www.large.nl wich is the biggest rock/metal shop in Holland.

Anyone else ???

Syl Disjonk
VoivodFan
Member # 148

posted November 22, 2002 12:59     Profile for Syl Disjonk   Email Syl Disjonk     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sadness will prevail is a hell of a piece of insanity. The album cover sum it all, it's not a party album. There is a mix of experimental and more guitar stuff that blend perfectly. This band is hitting on the darkess part of the subconsious and left you wondering why ........ The first time I listened to this album I watched the movie The Stendhal Syndrome from Dario Argento the same night, I never felt twisted like that for a while. Away did wear a Today is the Day T-shirt the last time I saw them played with Eric. It was the Temple of the Morning Star tour shirt ... Temple of the Morning Star is my favorite record from this band, it's a little more accessible than Sadness will previail that sometime goes over the top of madness, I'm listening to it right now and I'm losing my mind. If you want to hear some song go to : www.todayistheday.org

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan