my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivodfan Covers!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voivodfan Covers!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 18, 2002 17:11     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right, finally, here it is:
http://www.noisebastard.com/hypercube.htm

Someone let me know whether or not this works (on a 'does it make a noise' level rather than artistic merit).

This is going onto the Voivodfan mp3.com page, but it will take about a month to 'go live'.

If anyone has a Voivod song they've covered, or feels like doing one now, let me know and we'll put it on the mp3.com site. Any style, any form, recording quality is immaterial - just get it on!

Cheers,
Emlyn K Helicopter

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 18, 2002 17:39     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah, your cover absolutely rules. It's got a certain swing to it
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 18, 2002 18:26     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HEY!
Very cool, my man.
I love the creative approach you brought to this.
The Proggy-Frippy guitar runs,
the blending of styles, the nice interpretaion of Snake's Vox,
(which I am sure was quite difficult)
...all of it very cool.
Did you play all of the instruments?
I would like to hear more. It was fun.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 18, 2002 20:25     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fucking awesome man!!!!!! Killer rendition. I love that break you do with the wah pedal. Nice guitar lines in the beginning. That must have been hard as hell to play. And the guitar solo with(how many different guitar effects???)Killer ending too..... My congrats to you for a great cover!!!!!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 19, 2002 02:48     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, cheers everybody! That was my mate Clive singing - we did Psychic Vacuum as well and he said Hypercube was hard as hell to sing (it was about the sixth take from two sessions). He nailed Psychic Vacuum in two goes.

The solo is 50/50 clean 'twang guitar' and Rrroooaaarrrriiinnnggg Hammond. The clean rhythm guitars were partly dictated by the fact that I can't do justice to Piggys guitar sound, and partly because I can't play those lines anyway :` .

The bass part I didn't fuck with at all. Some things are sacred!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 19, 2002 07:16     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jazz funk lounge core Voivod! I even hear stuff that reminds me of Fun Boy 3 in there for some reason!! Must be the spooky keyboard parts! A job well done mate. Any more?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 19, 2002 08:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Jazz funk lounge core Voivod! I even hear stuff that reminds me of Fun Boy 3 in there for some reason!! Must be the spooky keyboard parts! A job well done mate. Any more?

couldn't have summed it up any better than the 'H-Man'.
Brilliant interpretation

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 19, 2002 14:35     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fun Boy 3?!?!! Is that your way of getting me back over that whole Gommorah T-shirt thing, h?

Cheers, Corpse! Here's a quick list on what I used, for the trainspotters out there:

Behringer 24:4:2 mixer, red Tannoy 'Reveal' monitors & a WAMIRACK 8out PC/Rack thing -

Shitty P2/300 PC running Sonar 2 (just about!), Soundforge 6 and (most important for full-on metal mix!) T-racks mastering software.

Drums are from a sample CD that came on a magazine cover - about 30 phrases pieced together and tempo-matched - this took me a day! - then strung together in Soundforge with extra bits thrown in from a Roland R-5 drum machine.

Roland JV1080 synth for the two Organ sounds, Alesis S-4 Quadrasynth for the Cello & Strings.

Squire P-Bass & Hamer Diablo guitar, through a Rocktron Chameleon preamp/FX with Behringer footpedal board. Some other guitars might be in there, I dunno.

Audio Technica AT4035 mic, big and shinny, via a Joemeek VC3 pre-amp, which Clive still managed to distort with his big and powerful voice.

Finally, the bass & vox were put through an Alesis 3630 compressor/gate (on inserts to make 'em pump) and most of the mix went through a Behringer Duelfex exciter, also some Alesis Quadraverb on the vox & Organ.

This was my 4th attempt, the first 3 being far mellower and orchestral, but the drums just weren't happening.

Next, Psychic Vacuum! I've got the vox recorded, will start on it tonight.

manipulator
VoivodFan
Member # 12

posted November 19, 2002 23:40     Profile for manipulator   Email manipulator     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
excellent! more, more ! (clap clap clap whistle)
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted November 21, 2002 23:07     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks EK, that had a very nice funky sound.
I like the way it turned out. Seriously, it’s cool to be able to cover something but keep your own originality as an artist at the same time.
This made me want to hear more cover versions of VV song by other Band/Artists. Can't wait!!!
Merci!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 22, 2002 07:19     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Merci, mon ami!

You heard the man - get covering!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan