my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Jasonic bass solo

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jasonic bass solo
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 10, 2002 15:49     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jason Newsted To Record Bass Solo For New Voivod CD

Source: Blabbermouth.net

Voivod's forthcoming album, "The Multiverse", will feature a bass solo by the group's newest addition, former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted (a.k.a. Jasonic).

The following is Newsted's latest "Voivod Studio Diary" entry as it appears on the Chophouse Records web site:

"Big day for me today. Lots of loud cool bass...full on distortion tones on every song! And... [Guitarist] Piggy asked me to do a bass solo on one track too! F**king amazing! I've been looking for that for a long time! [Vocalist] Snake headed out today, after doing an outstanding job of singing. This Voivod fan is happy. Keep It Metal, Jasonic."

"The Multiverse" is tentatively set to surface on Mar. 4, 2003 through Chophouse in association with Surfdog Records.

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 11, 2002 00:25     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well..Cliff had is moment on "Kill em' all".....so I guess it was only a matter of time until Jasonic got his.

Too bad he didn't "get it" when he was still with Metal-licka.

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 11, 2002 00:27     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just joking guys..

I really don't give a flying fuck either way

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 11, 2002 08:22     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, this is no news for Jasonic, since there is a killer bass solo on the first Flotsam album, on that "Metalshock" song, I think (can't remember for sure).

Hope this one comes as good!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 11, 2002 08:31     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a Drummer...i'm wondering why anyone needs a Bass Solo anyways!

hahahaha! ...Just kidding.

I look forward to it!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 11, 2002 08:55     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lord knows the world needs another bass solo.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 11, 2002 11:09     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it sounds as killer as Cliff Burton's Anasthesia, then I'll be amazed. With all due respect to Mr Newstead, I don't think anyone can pull something that cool out of four strings again. I saw Jason on his first tour with Metallica and they gave him a little solo spot. The crowd were booing the fuck out of him, just cause it wasn't Cliff. A bit unfair seeing as he played really well. It wasn't anywhere near the genius of Mr Burton's stuff, but who could be?
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted November 11, 2002 11:12     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
It wasn't anywhere near the genius of Mr Burton's stuff, but who could be?

well, no one, basically...

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 11, 2002 11:28     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
[QB]And Piggy asked me to do a bass solo on one track too! [Vocalist] Snake headed out QB]

I think he means that instead of a guitar solo, the song in question will have a bass solo. That is a kick-ass idea that I wish more bands would do.

Btw, did anybody see how many responses this story got on Blabbermouth? Amazing. There are some real fucktards posting there too.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted November 11, 2002 13:08     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Urghh, a bass solo. I hate solos (no matter who's playing them) unless they're very very short. Like a bar in length...
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 11, 2002 16:50     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I hope it's way better than Joey DeMayo's solo's.

And...by the way: could any of you name at least name 5(FIVE!) cool worthwhile bass solo's (Cliff's 'Anesthesia' included)?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 11, 2002 18:10     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Got the Time (aww, come on! Its great!)
Anything by Primus
Geddy Lee (YYZ is the only one I can think of right now...)
Do the bass fills on the Death track count? First song on side two of Human, before it kicks in?
Um...theres a bass solo in a Gary Numan track from '83 called 'Sister Suprise' thats pretty cool...all slappy...I shut up now.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 12, 2002 08:26     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod should just do a bonus CD of them all doing nothing but Solos.
Then the second-half of that CD could be just song endings!

Thats something my Band always wanted to do.
Just a CD of power-house song endings.
You know...like the end of every Rush song has this big ending.

Da-dadada da-da-daaaaaaaa......da!

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted November 12, 2002 09:45     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhhhhh Jason(ic) bless him, He will always remain in my heart as looking like Toby Jepson !!!

Bass solo's are fine for me, in fact most bass players play better widdle than I can pull off on lead.

Top 5 bass solo's just for the record....

1) Cliff - nuff said
2)Tommy the cat (Primus - Suck on this)
3) Stu Hamm (Satrianni - Live in San Fransisco)
4) The geezer from Raven - Live album (I forget)
5) Johnny Rod (WASP - Electric Circus Tour) He was so wankered, he got his knob out and stuffed it between the strings !!! That's got to look great on the medical insurance report "chafing as a result of a g-string"

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 12, 2002 09:54     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pup:
5) Johnny Rod (WASP - Electric Circus Tour) He was so wankered, he got his knob out and stuffed it between the strings !!! That's got to look great on the medical insurance report "chafing as a result of a g-string"
... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Great story...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 12, 2002 10:33     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula Shaker:
Voivod should just do a bonus CD of them all doing nothing but Solos.

Err... Suppose it's not a new idea. Morbid Angel (i.e. Trey) already did it, on the "Love of Lava" CD, bonus to some versions of Formulas. Only Trey's solos, from Domination and Formulas.

JasonsAngel
VoivodFan
Member # 144

posted November 17, 2002 17:20     Profile for JasonsAngel   Email JasonsAngel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My favorite bass solo that Jason ever did was the one from Cunning Stunts. So F**king Amazing!!!
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 18, 2002 01:10     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Urghh, a bass solo. I hate solos (no matter who's playing them) unless they're very very short. Like a bar in length...

How about the ones in Accept's
"Teach Us To Survive"?
They are some short but wicked little bastards.
Even for "Gay Metal"

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted December 30, 2002 02:56     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelRat:
I hope it's way better than Joey DeMayo's solo's.

And...by the way: could any of you name at least name 5(FIVE!) cool worthwhile bass solo's (Cliff's 'Anesthesia' included)?

The other day I realized Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath) was pretty insane for solos. There's a song called "Bassically" on the first Sabbath album, it leads into "N.I.B.". And then there's EV150 .

Cliff will always be the best though...

Oh yea isn't that Testament song "Urotsukdoji" from LOW a bass song? Fucking intense song at that--Greg Christian was cool.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted December 31, 2002 08:34     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Geezer's indeed one of the coolest mofo's out there. Together with Cliff, Blacky and Lemmy of course. And John Entwhistle. Never heard that Testament song by the way. Have to check that out. Still I'm not really too fond of bass-solo's and long and excessive soloing in general.
LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted December 31, 2002 08:36     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The tapping bass fill on Megadeth's 'Take No Prisoners' is really good... (about 1 minute 38 seconds in, I think?) I don't know if it counts as a bass solo or not...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan