my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » How does one transfer songs to mp3 format..

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How does one transfer songs to mp3 format..
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 07, 2002 22:11     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
..for downloads? I had originally asked this on Hatrossrig's "plugging my own band" thread, but I'm not really "grasping" the concept of it.

Could anybody here actually take the time to explain "my dumb-ass" on how to do this, step by step? I would really appreciate it immensely!

Like I had mentioned before, I'd like to share some of my demo shit that I've done over the years just like some of the rest of you already have.

Infact, Warcorpse, what would you think of a section here on this site strictly for Voivodfan members to post their own original music for downloads? Has this already been attempted before?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 07, 2002 22:14     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
P.S. speaking of mp3's, I wouldn't mind hearing that one song of Warcorpse's again. The one he had originally on Voivod.com's bbs. awhile back!
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 08, 2002 05:09     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Or get a Mac, put a cd in it and press the 'convert to mp3' button on itunes.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 08, 2002 13:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you'd be surprised.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 08, 2002 15:20     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The only suprise you'd get is on your credit card bill.

Macs suck wide-ones.

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted November 08, 2002 17:11     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blackcloud (and h!), if you're on a mac, go with iTunes, but have a look at the options:
I think you can choose which encoder/codec you want to use, make sure you select LAME then choose your settings for quality.

if you're on windows, hex speaks the Truth !
get CDex, ExactAudioCopy, audiograbber or any other cd-ripper, they have options for using an external mp3 encoder (LAME, of course)

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 09, 2002 02:41     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx guys, especially "Hex", that was too cool to sit there and type all of that..

I'll try to attempt "this task" asap.

I'm sure this would be so fricken' easy if someone were actually here to "show" me..but nevertheless..I will try and cut through the usual "mumbo-jumbo" red-tape!

cheers.

"thanx for the tunes 'Corpse!!"

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 14, 2002 02:18     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
If you have your stuff on CD, use CDex to transfer it to MP3 (it uses LAME for compression).
Then upload it to wherever site you choose.
Hope that helps.

o.k. I'm back! And with some other dumb-ass questions: which program do I download from cdex? I have windows xp, so is that going to be a problem as well? It seems like it kinda is, unless I'm doing something wrong, which I'm sure that I am anyway. I couldn't get any "encoders" from LAME to download successfully. And then if I get past all of this "down-load" crap, How in the hell do I transfer my songs from CD to mp3 using cdex? Obviously I'm "way" confused. And finally: the stupidest of stupid questions.."how do I "upload" the finished mp3 to this site?"

AAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
I NEED MY MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've lost my mind.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 14, 2002 05:33     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As far as the windows thing goes, you'll have to talk to one of the other guys. Me and pc's don't get on .
Once you have made the mp3 you'll need to get your own webspace to upload it onto, and then put a link from this page. There's a million site's out there offering free web space, all of which will be fine for the purpose of storing your sounds. Some are probably better than others though, just have a look around. Most of these sites will give you full instructions on how to upload your stuff. If they don't, find on that does! Once it's uploaded you just type in a link here that'll look something like this: http://www.yourfreewebspace.com/yoursite/yoursong.mp3
if you see what I mean. If this makes no sense, it will once you get yourself some webspace and learn how it works. Any free site will be able to help. I'll suggest this one (I don't use them, but they seem to be good): http://www.bravenet.com
Good luck!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted November 14, 2002 07:25     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
http://www.yourfreewebspace.com/yoursite/yoursong.mp3

Hey h, the link you posted is broken!!!

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted November 14, 2002 08:43     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
download this one (version 1.40, english)
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/cdexos/cdex_140_enu.exe
then install it

in cdex's menu: Options > Settings (or click the "setup" button), brings up the encoder settings page.
LAME is already selected, just set it to better quality, for example:
1. "Bitrate Min: 128 kbps", change it to 192 kbps
or
2. "VBR Method": set it to "VBR default"

... then put your cd in, select track(s) and hit the mp3 button

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 14, 2002 10:15     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
Hey h, the link you posted is broken!!!

It's not my link that's broken - it's the whole damn innnernet supa information cul-de-sac, or whatever it's called. All this gosh-darn technology and I still can't find a decent cup o' tea! Bah!

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted November 14, 2002 10:53     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
...and I still can't find a decent cup o' tea! Bah!

tea??? are you kidding me???

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 14, 2002 12:14     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
tea??? are you kidding me???

Well, I've got plenty of quality alcohol. Doesn't go so well with Sunday morning marijuana though!!

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted November 14, 2002 12:24     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree, but this "VBR Method" menu is for the VBR algorithm or something like this: VBR disabled, VBR default, VBR-new, VBR-old, VBR-MTRH, VBR-ABR

I don't know which method is best...

"VBR-Default: currently set to VBR-MTRH: a merger of old and new VBR routine"

(ABR is Average Bit Rate, the encoder tries to match the bitrate you want)

I'm using the lame.exe with "-V 0 -m j" options (VBR 0, force joint-stereo)

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 14, 2002 16:45     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Joint stereo? NEVER!
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted November 14, 2002 16:59     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
why not?

it doesn't kill the stereo, it's only a more efficient way of compression..
The Fraunhofer joint stereo has a huge bug, but it's ok with LAME

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 14, 2002 19:47     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm not too anal when it comes to making mp3s.. 192/stereo. Good enough. Unless it's a vinyl rip and i'd like to keep a better archive copy, then it's either 224 or 256.. I certainly can hear a difference in the high-end frequencies. Anyways..

I'd also like to say that i've quite enjoyed your tunes, 'Corpse! It gave me a little bit of motivation to show you people the kind of stuff i do, too. I dont have a porta-studio or great rig (in fact, it's fuckin' pathetic), but i got tons of ideas that i'll record soon. Either that or i'm just gonna post some of the garbage i've managed to record in the last few years whenever i had the chance. I dont mind the humiliation (dont even get me started on the first demo i ever did with a friend of mine, using his brother's Hitachi boombox and bullshit drumpads from Sears... still is a pretty evil sounding recording).

Besides, after suffering thru the absolute suckage that was Ashes of Eden/Horfixion last weekend, it motivates me even more

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 15, 2002 00:43     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GODDAMMIT!!! you guys must be tired of my sorry ass!! But I do appreciate the help..one day this "computer-lingo" will make sense to me!!

hopefully..

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan