my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » What bands are you getting into lately? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: What bands are you getting into lately?
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 06, 2002 01:20     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been getting into these bands lately and just had to let everyone here know how good they are!

Sentenced I just downloaded Frozen and Down and I'm blown away. They just plain kick ass. I must go purchase all of their CDs NOW. www.sentenced.org

Oxes My buddy who has the radio show turned me on to these guys. Fucking incredible. http://www.monitorrecords.com/ultimaterebel/index1.html

What about the rest of you?

|  IP: Logged
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 06, 2002 05:06     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know this is off the subject but...It's kinda fun to see Sentenced get loads of new fans worldwide, because nobody would have believed that would happen to them when they started back in the early nineties. They're originally from a tiny village called Muhos, about a hundred miles south of the Arctic Circle...trust me, Jonquiere would probably seem like a huge city compared to that place!!

Be sure to check out their earlier releases too, IMO they're as good as those two you mentioned!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 06, 2002 06:05     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know its funny you say this cause this is something I always try to do is search for new bands. You know to try and recapture that feeling of "holy hell, this is incredible!!!" Well, I don't think I'd ever say that again(until Multi-Verse of course). The latest band to make me really stand up and say DAMN would have to be:

Hasidic New Wave: This tune is one of their more accessible, melodic tunes.(their core sound is klezmer-traditional jewish folk music) Usually they play ten times crazier than this and their guitar player does this wild, freak-out shit. Unfortunately I couldn't find a link to that stuff. But check it out don't be scared 56K peeps, I had no trouble listening to it)

HasidicNW

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 06, 2002 06:08     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just got a release by KATATONIA that I've been listening to seriously lately. One of the better progressive bands, and I might have to buy more.
Black Guard
VoivodFan
Member # 113

posted November 06, 2002 07:48     Profile for Black Guard   Email Black Guard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sentenced
Impaled Nazarene
and various Doom bands, which is no need to mention, nobody will know.

And as Nuclear Vampire said, Sentenced kick ass! I feel sorry for myself that for some years now I ignored this band...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 06, 2002 08:36     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Immortal, can't get enough of their last album, Sons Of Northern Darkness!

Mastodon is also on high rotation, great band!

Also, I got the Limbonic Art CD just yesterday, but it started high on me, and it's growing. Kinda reminds me of Anthems-era Emperor, maybe it's the overall sounding.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 06, 2002 12:22     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
Mastodon is also on high rotation, great band!

Yeah, I gotta say out of all the new stuff I've heard this year this one stands out. Almost as good as the new Isis record. If I had a car, Mastodon would be in it!

prozak
unregistered

posted November 06, 2002 13:03       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Immolation - Unholy Cult (Voivod-influenced technical but "heavy" death metal)

Graveland - Memory & Destiny

Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame

Sentenced: I recommend "North From Here" and not much else

Finnish bands: Beherit, Impaled Nazarene, Demigod, Adramelech...

IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 06, 2002 13:03     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Atomic Bitchwax.

Marilyn Manson

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 08, 2002 17:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, nobody commented on my Hasidic link. My feelings are hurt. Just what I get for trying to push jazz on a metal forum.
Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted November 12, 2002 10:55     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just cant get past the Murderdolls cd at the moment

Yes, I know it's all contrived, but it's like Hanoi Rocks meets the Munsters - I just love it to bits. Havent heard anything so funny since the Cramps, it's soooo mad it's genius.

Pass the lobotomy.........

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 13, 2002 02:12     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have just rediscovered Lawnmower Deth.
This is absolutely intolerable music.
I fucking LOVE these guys.

LD was just a silly, self-mocking British metalcore/ parody band, or so we might have thought.
In reality, these guys pumped out some very memorable jams, diverse influences and ridiculous song titles like
Spook Perv Happenings in the Snooker Hall.
(and Cobwoman of Deth Meets Mr. Smellymop...LOVE that one!)

Hell, these guys even have a bona-fide crust classic in
Sharp Fucka Blades of Hades/ March of the Mods.
At LEAST (try to) find that one on your favorite napster ripper!

I just yesterday found a used copy of Ooh Crikey...
It is BRILLIANT, I tell ya!
I haven't heard it in years, since my CRACK-head half-brother stole my copy for more CRACK back in the mid-90's.

I am sure glad I found it, and I highly recommend you do the same.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted November 13, 2002 09:52     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I'm not just getting in to these bands, its just they two of these bands have out new stuff. Immolation, Hate Eternal, Deeds of Flesh.

"the music of Immolation has moved farther from death, heavy or black metal per se and into its own unique hybrid, with a sense of dissonant chord like Voivod"

http://www.anus.com/music/immolation

I enjoy the review stuff contained at anus.com very much. But their pro-Nazi ideology just makes me sick. Worst of all, the texts are all very, VERY articulate and well written (especially Prozak's), with lots of reference to philosophy (mainly Nietzsche). Sad to see they use their gifted skills for evil purposes...

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 13, 2002 14:45     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhh Anus.
I have been over there doing battle with these "Nitwit Savants" for the last week or so.
They have this discussion going under the heading "Al Queda".
And I have been blistering these Ass-Hats.
Join the fun, if you dare:
http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4

The "Martyrs in Training" thread has the most action.
Fucking Bozos

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 13, 2002 16:13     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hex, I can relate to your angle on this, but for me it serves two purposes:

1. It is fun to see how they react to a dose of their own tactics.

2. I find it highly interesting to get in there and try to understand the motivations and "reasoning" behind this realm of utter disregard for humanity.
I can't ignore it, that is for certain.

The downside is, it is a lesson in futility and is a bit frustrating at times, just to know that these people are probably stuck this way for life.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 14, 2002 05:48     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fuck man, it has gotten ugly over there.
I am taking on the whole fucking board.
And KICKING THEIR Nazi ASSES, I might add.
http://bbs.anus.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4&SUBMIT=Go

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 14, 2002 07:34     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bugger me, thats one negative forum! Having a pop at these people, or Christians for that matter, is just like shooting fish in a barrel, only the fish cannot be killed -they just ignore your bullets.

Anyway, I'm getting into the Who and the Cure right now. Retro-time!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 16, 2002 17:57     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wassup Ya'll.

Aside from the usual metal we all listen to, check some of this awesome music...here are some other bands I've been totally diggin'...

Coldplay - their vocals kick total ass yo.
Sum41 - the most hardcore punk rock I've ever heard.
The Refreshments - "you got the pistols and I've got the pesos" Best lyrics ever.
Justin Timberlake - just in time to ROCK THE WORLD.
The Bacon Brothers - for once the OTHER bacon brother gets some props.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted November 16, 2002 22:23     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Bugger me, thats one negative forum! Having a pop at these people, or Christians for that matter, is just like shooting fish in a barrel, only the fish cannot be killed -they just ignore your bullets.

Anyway, I'm getting into the Who and the Cure right now. Retro-time!

Those Fuckers only ignore you when you have DEFEATED them, which I have done on the thread I started called "Let's dig deeper here".
They are the lowest form of quasi-intellectual, pig-headed ignorant, self-serving hippocritical DUNG-DRIPPINGS on the planet.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 16, 2002 22:53     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WTF??!!?? I DID NOT just fucking post that. I think I know who it is too. Fucking MOSER, that's who. Warcorpse, you may feel free to ban the IP that sent the last one. I don't know how they got my password, but rest assured they're fucking DEAD MEAT.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 17, 2002 09:55     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, Nuc, I was really wondering about that post. That was scary. The Refreshments?????
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted November 17, 2002 13:05     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx 'corpse. It's a guy from work. I sometimes check out this site when it's dead and I thought clearing the History and deleting Cookies would be enough. It seems that unless you actually boot the PC, you stay logged on. The bands he mentioned are ones I despise and frequently rant about the crapiness of to the losers at work that actually do like them.

Just to keep in the spirit of the thread, lately I've been getting into:

Sparta it's basically 3/4 of At The Drive In. They remind me of Fugazi alot. Pretty cool. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/411/sparta_el_paso_tx.html

Spickle this band is from New Orleans. They fuckin' rock! All instrumental and killer! Go here: http://www.spicklemusic.com/media.html

psychoblast
VoivodFan
Member # 110

posted November 23, 2002 13:47     Profile for psychoblast   Email psychoblast     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hm, pretty much into heavy doom like 'Electric wizard' and 'Warhorse'.
l\/letal l\/loser
VoivodFan
Member # 146

posted November 26, 2002 02:40     Profile for l\/letal l\/loser   Email l\/letal l\/loser     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I work with Nuclear Vamp and he plays the following at work:

10)Staind
9)Rage against the machine
8)Perry Farrel
7)Sunny Day RealEstate
6)Avril Lavigne (she's not pre-fab, Opeth is pre-fab)
5)Linkin Park
4)Swollen Members
3)Jamiroquai
2)Bay City Rollers
1)Menudo (early Ricky Martin rockzors!)

p.s. Norwegian Black Metal kicks Swedish Death Metals ass!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 26, 2002 05:58     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hahaha, Moser is really jerking NucV's chain. This is why I never tell my friends about this site.

I'm on a death metal binge lately:

Symbiosis-How did I miss these guys? Unbelievable stuff. They kill.

Acid Death-From Greece I think. Boy, they throw in some weird shit into their music. Too bad they broke up.

Children of Bodom-Holy hell, now this is what you call power metal. Like the vocals too. A bit more distinctive than the rest of the camp.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan