my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod covers (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Voivod covers
2scared2scream
VoivodFan
Member # 77

posted November 04, 2002 18:03     Profile for 2scared2scream   Email 2scared2scream     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Has anyone heard Agoraphobic Nosebleed covering Forgotten in Space on their split LP with Cattlepress? Its only half the song, but its a pretty good version. Also some lame-o emo band called Dahlia Seed covered Missing Sequences (MY FAVOURITE TRACK!!) on a 7" tour-only release...just thought ya'll would be interested.
 |  IP: Logged
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted November 05, 2002 04:47     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think someone posted a link to a mp3 of that Dahlia Seed cover on voivod.com about a year ago or so...It was a pretty cool version! Haven't heard the AN cover though (interesting band name ) But why only half of the song? Did they forget the missing sequences in space?
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 05, 2002 09:10     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard that Agoraphobic Nosebleed cover.. it was ok, except for what's already been said (it's not the entire song)... But the best voivod cover award goes to Order from Chaos for their "War & Pain" cover. It's got that same "nuclear wasteland" vibe that the original had. And it's musically identical. Recently Deceased recorded another cover (they did "Voivod" in the past"). They just released a full album of covers and "Blower" is on it. It's truer to the original than their other cover (at least King Fowley tries to sound like early Snake on this one).
neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted April 26, 2004 17:44     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Already posted in the "new CDs" thread but I think it belongs here...

Nothingface by Natron
www.natron.it

Natron_-_Nothingface.mp3

nunoPT
VoivodFan
Member # 379

posted April 26, 2004 20:40     Profile for nunoPT   Email nunoPT     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is not a cover but the guitars sound familiar...

HERE
real player

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted April 27, 2004 23:25     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HOLY SHIT, that Natron cover is fuckin awsome! Well I like it!

--------------------

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 28, 2004 13:17     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whats the point of covering a song if you're going to sound as near to the original as possible?

--------------------

Der der der-der DER! Der der der-der DER! DER!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted April 28, 2004 15:26     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Heliplopter:
Whats the point of covering a song if you're going to sound as near to the original as possible?

Hee hee. Y'know, ever since MP3.com went down, I've been kinda missing that cover of yours, Emlyn. *nudge nudge*

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 28, 2004 15:38     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Heliplopter:

To prove you could play it?

--------------------

ummm.....I got nothin' today :-(

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 29, 2004 15:17     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MadMeg:
To prove you could play it?

Bah! Actually I couldn't even begin to work out what Piggy was playing on Hypercube, apart from the solo. And I played that on the Hammond Organ.

wink wink

--------------------

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted April 29, 2004 15:47     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the link doesn't work?

--------------------

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted April 29, 2004 18:58     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was about to comment that the best VV cover I'd ever heard was by Mr. Helicopter's band. But then he had to go jump in and toot his own horn first.
Spaceman Spiff
VoivodFan
Member # 440

posted April 30, 2004 05:23     Profile for Spaceman Spiff   Email Spaceman Spiff     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like that Dahlia Seed cover a lot. They pulled it off very well, even with a female singer.

link:
http://www.dahliaseed.com/mp3s/03_missingsequences.mp3

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 30, 2004 14:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
heh heh, toot fuckin toot

--------------------

Megz
VoivodFan
Member # 367

posted May 01, 2004 00:29     Profile for Megz   Email Megz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Emlyn, are you toying with me? Does the link work for anybody else? Am I doing something wrong?

--------------------

neutrino
VoivodFan
Member # 22

posted May 01, 2004 02:25     Profile for neutrino   Email neutrino     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
looks like that link is dead

well, Mr Plopter's version is great, get it here:

Mentaller_Kopf-Fick_-_Into_My_Hypercube.mp3

(old voivodfan covers thread here )

Emlyn, almost every Voivod cover I've heard sound as near to the original as possible compared to yours!
and yeah it's a pity... i'd love to hear more weird Voivod covers!

LyKcantropen
VoivodFan
Member # 162

posted May 01, 2004 04:08     Profile for LyKcantropen   Email LyKcantropen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh, at last! Cheers to neutrino, and of course the mental head-fuck themselves.

Worth the wait. Voivod sounds rather good as a funk/reggae/jazz... thing.

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted May 01, 2004 09:44     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
5 songs or so more and I got a whole Nothingface cover album here

--------------------

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted May 01, 2004 10:15     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The funny thing about E-Plopter's version of 'Hypercube' is that it's sounds like the "original" version of it as recorded by some proggy 1973-ish bellbottom Moog band like Eloy or ELP that Voivod ended up covering on Nothingface. Seriously. That's a good cover.

I'm going to record Captain & Tennille's 1976 take on Tornado someday.

KnickerZohnonnof
VoivodFan
Member # 272

posted May 01, 2004 11:48     Profile for KnickerZohnonnof   Email KnickerZohnonnof     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Dolly Parton should do a cover of Thrashing Rage...

--------------------

Hail Santa...

Ne0rC
VoivodFan
Member # 163

posted May 01, 2004 12:15     Profile for Ne0rC   Email Ne0rC     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Slayer should cover Fix my Heart

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 03, 2004 08:20     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blackguards is Slayer material!

Anyway, there was a talk about a Voivod tribute album, featuring Sepultura, Primus and Mr. Bungle. Unfortunatly, it never happened.

I would have loved to hear ol'Chuck Schuldiner do Forgotten in Space...

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 03, 2004 17:17     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See, my point is that getting even Death or Slayer to cover a VV song would be pointless - both bands (and I love Death) would blunt the edges and make, at best, mediocre renditions. They'd add nothing, just take away.

Like on the 'Democracy' CD single from Killing Joke, with a cover of the song by Carcass. It was a bad song to begin with, Carcass simply made it sound like the strained passing of an awkward poo.

So, any VV tribute album worth buying would have to have The Cardigans, The White Stripes, REM, Eurasure, some big fucking orchestra not conducted by that cunt who did S&M, Motley Crue (with T-bone, natch), Will Young, Burt Bacherach and maybe Charlotte Church or something.

Make it interesting, in other words. Criminally awful and misguided, sure, but a Talking Point For Years To Come (TM, QVC Shopping Channel 2004).

Oh aye, ta very much for nice words 'bout my cover. Now I got my studio fully operational I might have another crack at Psychic Vacuum Cleaner, just got to find some convincing seagull samples for the bit beofre it goes "fffffft...GO! du du..du! du! du! du! du, du-du nothing-can-stop. the. psy-kick. va-cuum cleaner....

--------------------

Maldororz
VoivodFan
Member # 186

posted May 04, 2004 08:13     Profile for Maldororz   Email Maldororz     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How about Tom Waits doing a nice lounge version of Psychic Vac, now that would be sweet!

Hi-hat: Tss, ts ts ts, ts ts ts, ts ts ts
Still twisting (oh yeah, let's twist!)
and suggesting *snaps fingers*
some passengers (ba-boum-doo-wap!)
play with my nerve
*pump organ*
It paralyses *brass* TA-DA!
Dexterity *brass* TA-DA!
Inculcating *brass* TA-DA!
Anxiety *brass* TA-DA-DA-DA-DA-DAAAHH!

(ok enough with my big band transcription, I'm gonna go chill at the Voivodbar with a Martini)

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted May 04, 2004 14:12     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
[QUOTE]Just have a decency and stay away from insulting the dead, will you?

Sorry Hex, I shall not.

I called him such a word because, least we forget, he left the world Everything I Do (I do it forrrr you).

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan