my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Best concert expirience

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best concert expirience
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted November 01, 2002 20:12     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Up here in Sweden we have a rock festival called Hultsfredsfestivalen, and one year at about one a clock at day i was standing a few meters from the stage waiting for a swedish band called Dismember to start blasting my socks off. Already in good form with some help of my good ol' friend Heineken i noticed that i forgot to bring my cigarettes. So i looked around and noticed a tall thin guy, all dressed in black leather, black hair and with a skin white as snow smoking his socks off. I aproached him and asked if i could "leand" one. He looked at me, standing there, with shortcut hair, shorts and a Primus frizzle & fry T-shirt on my thin drunk little body. The guy became a bit suspicuos and asked me what i liked about heavy metal I said that i was into bands like Celtic frost, VoiVod and early Venom. he was so impressed with the fact that a "on the surface, civilized guy" could have such a morbid taste that he gave me the whole pack of smokes he had . Great concert, and after the mayhem a guy offered me 60$ for my Primus T-shirt, i refused him by saying: I understand fashion, you don't and money can't help you
I ended up wrecking my arm while practising stagediving of a stone in a nearby lake so i couldn't work for two weeks. The same weekend i learned that playing Confessor real loud at our tent was a great method to meet weird people. Great party... By the way. This forum must be the coolest out there on the freaking internet, let's turn the man into pope or something.

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 01, 2002 21:18     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're damn right on that Vroom!! Corpse is the man!!! This is the best place for VOIVODIA for sure. And anything else muzak related.

Let's see, my best concert experience... Hmmm...well recently it would have to be the Mastadon show in Atlanta. An incredible thirty minutes moshing with all kinds of freaks. Almost got crushed by some big lesbian. Didn't I tell this story before? Yeah, think so. Other than that, I would have to say the Clash of the Titans with Slayer where I got thrown over the barricade into the arms of some security gaurd. Killer show. Did anyone see them when they came through. Alice in Chains opened, then Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, and someone else I believe. Fantastic metal experience...

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted November 01, 2002 22:37     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah Mezcal...1991 it was. The thing
about that Clash of the Titans tour was
that you never knew who the headliner
would be cuz they rotated. The only
thing that stayed the same was the
opening slot that was filled by Alice in
Chains. In Atlanta, Slayer headlined,
the perfect outcome. Shortly after, there
was a small venue tour called The New
Titans on the Block: Sepultura, Sacred
Reich, Napalm Death, and Sick of it All.
Everybody remember?

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted November 01, 2002 22:44     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
You're damn right on that Vroom!! Corpse is the man!!! This is the best place for VOIVODIA for sure. And anything else muzak related.

Let's see, my best concert experience... Hmmm...well recently it would have to be the Mastadon show in Atlanta. An incredible thirty minutes moshing with all kinds of freaks. Almost got crushed by some big lesbian. Didn't I tell this story before? Yeah, think so. Other than that, I would have to say the Clash of the Titans with Slayer where I got thrown over the barricade into the arms of some security gaurd. Killer show. Did anyone see them when they came through. Alice in Chains opened, then Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, and someone else I believe. Fantastic metal experience...

Big lesbian??? sounds interesting

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted November 02, 2002 03:44     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vroomfondel..since you're from Sweden, do you like Marduk at all?

I actually got to see them finally when they were opening for Deicide awhile back. I was really impressed with there stage presence and atmosphere. I believe black-metal should be hypnotizing, and theirs definitely was! And it was great to finally see a "true" black-metal band that was from over there, and not some "wannebe's" from over here in the U.S.

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted November 02, 2002 05:07     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That Clash of the Titans-tour was great. Only here in Europe the line-up was : Slayer, Megadeth, Testament and Suicidal Tendencies.

The best gigs I've seen are probably:

Sepultura on the Arise-tour.

Napalm Death - everytime I saw them

Atari Teenage Riot - saw them on a festival when they released 'Future of War', not metal but one the heaviest and noisiest concerts I've ever seen

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted November 02, 2002 06:12     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw the CLASH OF THE TITANS tour also...GRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!

Best shows technically would be a toss up between KING CRIMSON and PORCUPINE TREE...all the guys are masters of their instruments, and just amazing to experience such greatness.

Best full blown metal mayhem show would probably be SLAYER with OVERKILL and even being 8 seats back at the Warner Theater in DC there was so much slamming, I only got to see Slayer when I stage diver wiped out the first 6 rows of people all standing on their theater seats...fucking insane!!! Needless to say after all the damage to the theater Slayer was NOT invited back.

I've seen SO MANY incredible bands it would be hard to really pick the best metal show, but that one stands out in my mind. FISHBONE always blew me away and got people mooooving, and jumping. PEARL JAM are always incredible and totally connect to the audience no matter how many people are there, you still feel like it was personal. FATES WARNING were great, METAL CHURCH kicked ass. ANTHRAX at Hammerjacks where Belladonna got lost in the crowd after stage diving was fun. DREAM THEATER, GALACTIC COWBOYS was amazing. DEATH ANGEL grooved like no other metal band and I saw the every year they came around when they started, and they never failed to impress me.

cool topic

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted November 02, 2002 12:35     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
some of the best shows i can recall attending are:

-i saw SLAYER earlier this year and that was hands down the heaviest and most energetic thing i've ever seen. who says their old? sure don't play like they are. cool light show too.

-one year on the Canadian Edgefest summer tour i saw FOO FIGHTERS and A PERFECT CIRCLE among others and those were good shows.

-i just saw GWAR a few days ago and that was a hugely fun show. everybody seemed to have a good time whether they knew the songs or not, they had mike tyson and saddam hussein destoyed as part of their act. good times!

- i saw TOOL recently too and haven't been to a show like that before. it was just as much like watching a weird movie and seeing a concert all meshed into one.

-hopefully VOIVOD will be added to this list sometime next year.

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted November 03, 2002 08:05     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
THE best show ? Pink Floyd . Next show i would like to see : Dream teather .
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted November 03, 2002 12:17     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The first Lolapaloosa Festival.
When Ice-T started that song 'Cop Killer'...
the whole place erupted into a giant Moshpit
with me unexpectedly caught in the middle!
Also seeing Perry Farrell of Janes Addiction strip down to nothing on stage is an image that i'm still trying to remove from my memory!
Rollins Band were killer as were the Butthole Surfers and Siouxsie and the Banshees!

Took me a Month to recover from that event.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 04, 2002 05:32     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really love the festival experience. I don't give a fuck who's playing, I just love the whole pot and ale drenched atmosphere. That's why Voivod should play Reading or Dynamo in 2003. That would fucking rule.
Best gigs for me have to be:
The Atomic Bitchwax - London Underworld 2002
Carcass, Cathedral, Confessor & Entombed -London Astoria 1992 (what a fucking line up!)
Black Crowes - acoustic afternoon show (sooo much dope it was beautiful!)
and of course....
Voivod -London Marquee Outer Limits tour. Genius.

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted November 04, 2002 06:04     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Boy what a question? Festie's are cool but I have some categories:

best pit : Metallica / Anthrax - lightning tour with Cliff - Newcastle mayfair

best funky chicken dancing : Primus / Jane's addiction - Newcastle mayfair

best widdle : Joe Satrianni's bass player Stu Hamm's solo on the Crystal Planet tour Fairfax hall - Croydon

best "we're not worthy" - 'vod Negatron tour
, meeting the guys (totally blanking Eric Forest)

best mellow gig - Cranberries acoustic set on No need to argue tour

best cheesy gig - W.A.S.P. electric circus (although Alice Cooper is coming up real soon)

Best waste of time - Cinderella and Dog's D'mour (I really fancied the girl who had the tickets - a small sacrifice all considered)

Best crossover gig - Senser / The Mission / The Prodigy / PWEI - student "fresher's week" Newcastle University - what a week

Best all round experience - Bad News at Castle Donnington !!!!!!!!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 04, 2002 08:33     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best gigs are ones where I've been on stage, although I imagine those watching me might think differently. Otherwise, best gigs in order:

Voivod - London Marquee 1993. Moshed at front, under the mighty Snake...who remarked on my Blacky head-shave. Shame about the non-Blacky bassist, but otherwise perfect.

Gary Numan - London Forum, 2000. As near a religious experience as I've ever had.

Killing Joke - London Astoria 1994. Fucking Fire Breathing, Maori dancing, nude bizarre cavorting shows, Jaz Colemans satanic stare! Plus some Spanish birds in the pit who only started to move about when they played stuff from 'Nighttime'.

Rush - NEC & Wembley, 1992. Giant Dancing Bunnies etc.

Rolf Harris - Marquee, 1995. Family Fun from everyone's favourite uncle.

Alec Empire - Reading 2002 - fuck me that was loud & heavy!

Anthrax - Hammersmith Odeon, 1989. My first gig. Tarzan Ropes, pre-Rap Bullshit wank band.

Cardiacs - multiple times, always worthy of Lordation.

Worst Gig:
Andrew WK - Reading 2002. Stupid Useless Cunt.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted November 04, 2002 09:09     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw a bunch of shows but those that stand out are: (in no particular order except for KISS)

1. KISS - Molson Centre, Montreal 08/03/96

Holy shit! I've been a KISS fan since i was 5 and that show made me feel like a kid all over again. Fuckin' brilliant. Definately the biggest show i've ever seen. It pretty much closed the book on my KISS trip, i guess.

2. Type O Negative (opening for Pantera) - Colisée de Québec, 03/03/95

I had just smoked a huge joint right before they got on, so for their entire set i was glued to my seat in awe. Since they were opening for Pantera their set was mostly made of their faster tunes. Fuckin' awesome. Pantera more or less sucked.

3. Death - Rimouski, 06/20/95

I had no idea they were playing there. I was on my way back to Gaspé from Quebec City and stopped at RImouski for gas, and i saw a flyer. I immediatly went to look for the venue and scored a ticket. Holy shit what a show! The only letdown was that i had cut my lower back lenght hair to a buzzcut a week earlier. BAH!!

4. Anthrax - Pollywog Festival (Mont St-Anne), Quebec - 08/98

Best 4$ i ever spent! I missed most of the bands at the fest (only caught Banlieu Rouge and Anthrax). Great outdoor show, at a ski resort. They had just released Volume 8 but the set was mostly all the good old tunes. Incredible, i never thought it'd be this good.

5. Voivod / Dio - Agora, Quebec City 07/04/2002

You guys probably saw what i wrote about that show already. It was neat, except for the rain towards the end of Voivod's set.

6. S.O.D. - Foufounes Electriques, Montreal 11/28/99

To steal a phrase from Exodus, Good Friendly Violent Fun! I just knew it was going to be a good show when i just INHALED that pitcher of beer right before they went on. Most intense mosh pit ever. They were amazing, period. I couldnt walk properly for 3 days after that.

There's a bunch of others good shows but those ones stand out the most. Seeing the Misfits was fun, seeing King Diamond was fun too, Overkill twice, the Dayglo Abortions were insane, etc etc etc.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan