my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Do Canadians really sleep with their doors unlocked?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do Canadians really sleep with their doors unlocked?
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 30, 2002 22:13     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I caught a program the other night with the director of the upcoming movie "Bowling for Columbine", amongst other issues, he was talking about how in Canada, people have no need really to lock their doors at night, due to such a "low" national crime rate. On the other hand, the U.S. (where I live in WA state) has a crime rate that is way over the top of Canada's. The director, although I forget his name, really had some good examples to show on comparing our two economies. One point he made, was if the majority of american citizens had equal "liveable" wages to earn, in most cases that would probably detour one's neighbor from "ripping" the other off...if each were more financially secure.

Which brings me to a couple of questions for my "Canadian neighbors"

1. Does the general population of Canada have a "more than adequate" minimum wage to live on? Is everyone there satisfied in general with what they make financially?

2. Is it true that your government covers each of its citizen's healthcare, regardless if they are employed or not?

Cheers.

|  IP: Logged
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 30, 2002 22:30     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
1. a) no b) no

Minimum Wage in Canada by Province

Alberta $5.90 (3.76 USD)
BC $8.00 (5.10 USD)
Manitoba $6.50 (4.15 USD)
New Brunswick $5.90 (3.76 USD)
Newfoundland $5.50 (3.50 USD)
NWT $6.50 (4.15 USD)
Nova Scotia $5.80 (3.70 USD)
Nunavut $6.50 (4.15 USD)
Ontario $6.85 (4.37 USD)
PEI $6.00 (3.82 USD)
Quebec $7.30 (4.65 USD)
Saskatchewan $6.35 (4.05 USD)
Yukon $7.20 (4.60 USD)

2. there is limited basic health care. this does not include prescriptions.

"Canada has a predominantly publicly-financed, privately-delivered health care system known to Canadians as Medicare. It provides access to universal, comprehensive coverage for medically necessary hospital, in-patient and out-patient physician services." http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/medicare/home.htm

What kind of a moron leaves their door unlocked?

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted October 31, 2002 01:52     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think it matters if the door is locked or not, if they want to get in there they'll find a way. Two years ago our deadbolted front door was rammed open by some half-wits in broad daylight. They apparantly got scared off somehow because they didn't steal anything, but I keep thinking to myself "If I was there when this happened" (grin on face expanding to evil proportions)...let's just say I'm glad we have tile in the front room and wouldn't have to replace it.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 31, 2002 21:56     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
1. What kind of a moron leaves their door unlocked?

I think the city was Montreal, where this author/director went door to door to see if this was true, the doors that he went to were infact: unlocked

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 31, 2002 21:59     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcloud of Deicide:

I think the city was Montreal, where this author/director went door to door to see if this was true, the doors that he went to were infact: unlocked

oh yeah, and it was nighttime btw.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted November 01, 2002 13:11     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd be the last person to say there weren't any morons in Montreal. I wonder which part of the city it was. Probably not Westmount (just because people there have more to lose, not because there aren't morons-a-plenty there too).

It's true that it doesn't matter how many locks you have, if someone wants in they'll get in. I asked my brother once if he was ever nervous because he lives alone. He just stared at me like I was an idiot and said that if someone broke into his place they'd really better be prepared to kill him.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted November 02, 2002 07:58     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I never lock my doors at night. Sometimes I'll lock them during the day. Sometimes not. Course it helps when you've got a pitbull wandering around your property.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan