my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Before we had cred........ (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: Before we had cred........
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted November 01, 2002 14:18     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm. On the subject of 'concert firsts'...

First concert - Judas Priest, March 1984. Defenders of the Faith tour. AWESOME first show, even though Great White was the opening act. So technically, the first band I ever saw live was Great White. You may throw your tomatoes now.

Best concerts

- Voivod/Vio-lence at the Channel in Boston, November 1988. I don't think I need to explain to YOU guys why this show was great. Schroeder, I see you have a tape of this show in your trades collection. I'll have to arrange a trade with you someday soon - I'd LOVE to hear that show again!

- Voivod/Soundgarden/Faith No More at the Paradise in Boston in 1990. Again, no explanation necessary. Note to Blacky - you rule for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that you had about 5 hot goth girls giving you the eye on your side of the stage. I was the chubby kid on Piggy's side of the stage, NOT getting the eye from the hot goth girls. Actually, I did have Snake drip armpit sweat into my eye. For real.

- Sabbath at the Fleet Center in Boston, 2000. All in all a great show, though I could have slept through Deftones and Pantera. Sorry, Pantera fans. It's lost on me. Sabbath was ALMOST flawless. The one ding in the armor of this show was the fact that Ozzy mooned the camera and I was looking right at the video monitor. I think Ozzy's ringpiece is still burned into the darkest corner of my brain. Pwahh!

Lots of other memorable shows. Death Angel, Death/Carcass double bill, Metallica on the Puppets tour and getting to see Cliff banging away only months before he died, Kiss reunion, Motorhead/Slayer/Overkill in 1988 (literally almost went deaf!). One of the greatest club shows I ever saw was the Amazing Royal Crowns. I can't do them justice - any of yous guys ever heard them?

|  IP: Logged
Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted November 01, 2002 18:40     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First concert: Black Oak Arkansas in
July '76...the next one was a biggie:
Kiss, Blue Oyster Cult, Johnny & Edgar
Winter, Bob Seger & .38 Special at the
Braves Stadium, Labor Day Weekend '76.
Over the years I have seen nearly every
performer I've had a desire to see. Never
saw Zeppelin (saw Plant/Page though),
UFO, or Ritchie Blackmore in any band (a
major void for me)...I've seen all the thrash
bands at least once (I'll include Death/Carcass
with them)...The Voivod/Soundgarden/Big F
show in Atlanta was a fantastic experience.
The best performance I ever saw was AC/DC
in 1978 on the POWERAGE tour. When I saw
Angus on Bon Scott's shoulders coming
back through the crowd banging away on
that wireless SG, I thought to myself "This
band is going to be popular one day".

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted November 02, 2002 00:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
Originally posted by Noitall:
I don't think I can answer this question, lol. It's the "before we were cool metalheads" part I get stuck on...
The more interesting question is what "after we were cool metalheads"?

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted November 03, 2002 17:24     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I grew up on music I heard from my parents. They played anything back then. Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, ELO, Beatles, Queen, Black Sabbath, Cliff Richard, Kate Bush, Grease. Name it. Until I became 11 years old I had peace with that. I enjoyed Elvis, Doe Maar, Michael Jackson and The Rolling Stones. Then I met some guy in my neighborhood who liked Metal. I heard Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Loudness, Manowar, Dio and such stuff. Fell in love with it immediately. Became fan of more technical metal later on. Fates Warning, Queensryche and so on. My friends liked Death Metal. I thought it all sounded the same. Until I heard Morbid Angel. I was impressed.

And so, I began collecting new and older death/thrash albums, mainly 80s stuff (that sounded somehow more natural to me). While watching TV one day, there suddenly was this video 'Astronmy Domine' by a band some of you might know very well. All blood disappeared from my brain. THIS WAS IT! Had no money back then to buy albums. Shit.

When I finally had money 'The Outer Limits' had just been released. Bought it. Liked it.

Became ProgRock addict soon afterwards (got periodically fed up with metal, shame). I became increasingly King Crimson fan. After a while my Metal roots surfaced from my subconscious...again. Voices in my head told me to buy 'Dimension Hatross' and 'Killing Technology'. I was flabbergasted after hearing those. This was the music I always was looking for. The other albums followed VERY soon.

The rest is/was history.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan