my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Before we had cred........ (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Before we had cred........
Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted October 29, 2002 04:49     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So, I can see that there are some older metalheads in here.

I'm curious to see what we were before we were cool metalheads. I fell into metal as a result of my Bro bringing home Status Quo's "Hello" album (a pre-cursor to Spinal Tap's and Metallica's plain black cd covers?). Before that I had no direction. I seem to remember catching the back end of punk and the influx of new romantics before I saw the light.

I do remember buying "Landscape's Einstein a go-go" single before I bought my 1st metal record - AC/DC if you want blood. 1st gig was Y+T supported by Rock Goddess at Edinburgh playhouse and 1st festie was the Marillion garden party at Milton Keynes bowl with Jethro Tull amongst others !!! I then did the early 80's Motley Crue / Kiss / Ratt era before discovering Metallica on a music for nations compilation that had metal militia as the last track - from there - never looked back.

So, own up - what dark secrets haunt your past before you saw the light and how did you end up a thrasher?

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 29, 2002 07:12     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My house was devoid of all riffs as a kid! My pa thought that the beatles were noisy, fer fucks sake! So it was opera & classics or what the shitty bbc radio were feeding me. I got into some Tears for Fears and Duran Duran before hearing Queen do a live version of "We Will Rock You" on the b-side of "Don't Stop Me Now" 7" (I think). It was super fast and covered in squeeling guitars (nothing like the album version which sucks) and I was blown away. From there it was onto Quo, Maiden (cool album sleeves - I wonder what they sound like?!!), Sabbath, Zeppelin etc.. Then at school one day, a friend played me a new album he bought called "Ride The Lightning" by some fuckers called Metallica, and that they were playing a gig nearby the next week. I don't remmeber much after that, apart from that I can't stop grinning when I hear the opening seconds of Back In Black!!!
Oh... and being passed a cassette of some unknown canadians in 1986 that completely twisted my mind!
Voi fucking Vod, man.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 29, 2002 07:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was a NEW WAVE Dick before finding METAL. I listened to all the stupid shit on eMpTyV wore thin ties and was a fuckin' music GEEK...there I said it, and it didn't cost the $200.00 an hour that a therapist would have charged. I had all kinds of new wave albums, Duran Duran, the Cars (they're kinda cool), Spandeau Ballet (vomit), yadda yadda yadda, luckily I've forgotten most of them.

To my credit; however, I was also into some heavy & prog rock, like YES, KANSAS, QUEEN, STYX?, and maybe a couple DEEP PURPLE album.

Then one day MTV got cool and started playing some IRON MAIDEN and JUDAS PRIEST videos and it was music that I never expreienced before!!! It was angry, it told stories, it was heavy and ugly, and it was for me. I soon devoured all the metal vinyl I could get my hands on, becoming an insane Maiden fan and collecting everything (including and original version of the Soundhouse Tapes 7"...which I sold a few years ago for $250.00...Blaze ruined my devotion for Maiden).

I learned that GILLAN and DIO were the 2 best singers in the world, with Dickinson a proud student. Then I got into Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Testament, right when the entire Metal explosion started.

It's cool because I was there at the beginnig of the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, and then for the Speed Metal...which was a further extention of the scene, but with more GUTS. I learned about the classics like Budgie, Led Zep, Sabbath...and now mixed with my love of metal and prog rock...I have one sick huge collection of vinyl and cd, and videos, and dvds...and i shit load of great memories.

cool topic...is my hour finish doctor?

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted October 29, 2002 07:51     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, all started when at the age of 13 my brother before sleep start to listen some songs of Iron Maiden (the number of the beast) and I say to Him to shut down that noise, before that I listened to local radio (so it was pop commercial music) but after listening to Franky goes to Hollywood I realized that I need more Heaviness and speed and I start to appreciate that maiden's songs...
After some year with Acdc, Saxon, Dio (that I don't really liked very much) it comes to me the tapes of Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood and the need of speed begin to raise (I swicthed to the thrash, anthrax, megadeth etc.).
But the real change was when at the age of 17 during my holydays I knew a Metalheads (who I am very thankfull to: Fabio from Spotorno) who give me the tapes of Celtic Frost (into The Pandemonium), Carnivore, Destruction, Kreator and KILLING TECHNOLOGY!!!!! (From the first listen it has blew my mind away)
From that event I was totally captured from Voivod but also I continued with black, death, Hc and some grind...
Then after some years (If I remember correctly when I was about 22-23, in 1992) the grind and death become more repetitive and boring to my ears so I stopped to follow the metal scene (except the mighty Voivod and few others) and except some recent good band I usually listen the the old true metal of the 80's.
First concert : Iron MAiden with Wasp (Somewhere in time) - Milano
Last Concert : Voivod (phobos) Milano

Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted October 29, 2002 07:53     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It all started with Kiss in '75 as a four year-old (that's probably the suitable age group for those lyrics ). Moved on to Aerosmith and Cheap Trick (who are still one of the best live acts anywhere), leading into the metal years. My brother brought home Metallica when no one had heard of them (at least in my neck of the woods) and got me into them. But it wasn't until he picked up Killing Technology in '86 and popped it on until I was TRULY englightened.
Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted October 29, 2002 08:28     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(...Blaze ruined my devotion for Maiden).

I actually supported wolfsbane with my band "no such luck" - well nice to see one of us got famous !!! Got a mention in Kerrang as a newcomer though. Ahhhh the noteriety

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted October 29, 2002 08:54     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a child, I used to ... hear (!!) the same music as my parents (I grew on Beau Dommage, Paul Piché, you get the point....)

Then, boom, I heard the self-titled Suicidal Tendencies album. I was hooked!!! The first record I ever bought was DRI's "dealing with it" . Closely followed by Discharge's "Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing", Crass's "Feeding of the 5000"...

... and....

you guessed right, ( ) "War and Pain" Roooaaarrr" and "Killing Technology". (All 3 the same day.)

-----------------------------------------------

Obituaries | Québec Metal bands 1982-2002

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted October 29, 2002 09:01     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I picked up DRI's dealing with it and it still lists in my top 20 of all time. I bought a "best of" tendencies cd recently (prime cuts) and the new versions of institutionalised and I saw your mommy sucked, compared to the originals off "self titled". I have heard that the 1st offering has been re-released. If it's still as raw, I'll hunt it down.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 29, 2002 13:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
pup wrote: I bought a "best of" tendencies cd recently (prime cuts) and the new versions of institutionalised and I saw your mommy sucked, compared to the originals off "self titled"

I agree, nothing compares to the originals of those tracks, but aside for that Prime Cuts is an excellent cd!

My first concert (I think) was DIO and Accept at Merriweather Post Pavillion...cool shows and many many more followed...NOVEMBER 7th 2002 PORCUPINE TREE in Baltimore FUCK YEAH

guidon
VoivodFan
Member # 137

posted October 29, 2002 14:17     Profile for guidon   Email guidon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Started listening to metal when I was 13 or 14. First tape I ever had was : Side A:Tesla - SideB:Skid Row. Moved to thrash and punkrock real soon. Dead Kennedys, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament,Dead Kennedys...and of course Voivod. The first song I ever heard of those guys was 'Korgull the Exterminator'. Hooked ever since.

Oh yeah, before that I was into regular 80's stuff. Madonna, DuranDuran,Doe Maar...

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted October 29, 2002 16:32     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great topic.Here's my story. I listened to
the radio regular as an elementary school
student in Rhein-Main, Germany. The
station may have been armed forces
radio for all I know. No particular genre
of music really stood out. Some of my
favorite tunes of this era were "Black Dog"
by Zeppelin, "Nights in White Satin" by the
Moody Blues, "Under My Wheels" by Alice
Cooper, definitely rock. I think I was
attracted to that typed of music because
of the backpackers w/long hair you would
see walking outside the fence w/bluejean
jackets on & stuff (I should say that our
apartment over there was on military
post & it was next to the autobahn, by the
"fence"). Anyway, the hippies were real
cool & gave us kids candy. My mom use
to say not to eat the candy because it
had drugs in it, but we didn't listen. So,
the bluejean jacket w/patches look had
made a positive impact on me all the way
back to the early 70s. I preferred rock
music but didn't really prefer a category
of music......until KISS ALIVE came out
in 1975, my 7th grade year. I wanted
nothing but metal from then on. Kiss was
the greatest for me until about LOVE
GUN, then I moved onto Aerosmith, Nugent,
and Mahogany Rush (are there any fans
who remember this phenomenal band?).
Then in 1980, after reading an article
about the NWOBHM, I picked up IRON
MAIDEN & this was the best shit ever.
Three years later I bought KILL EM ALL
& the whole thrash movement began.
I saw Voivod for the first time on the
Celtic Frost tour in '86. Everything from
that point is fairly similar with the rest
of you I would think. Since I've got a
wife & 4 kids I don't go to near the gigs
I used to go to (maybe 2-3 a year vs.
at least once a month in the 80s), nor
buy CDs like I used to. I still love this
scene as much as I ever did, went to the
Kreator-Destruction gig a couple weeks
ago in Atlanta. Will always be this way
until my hearing goes for good, which
will definitely happen as I have bad
tinnitis already. I'll enjoy it while I can.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 29, 2002 19:02     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know what I was into prior to finding metal. Oh yeah, I know, comic books(loved the Punisher)! But then I became friends with one of the cool guys in my high school and he was telling me about this sick band called Slayer. He said they had a really wretched sound that would definitely freak me out. I happened to have GNR's Appetite tape I'd just gotten from a friend so we traded cause he liked showing everyone the gruesome cover. It was over for me by that point. What really attracted me to metal was the fact that thrash(which was big at this time) had this incredible power to it that just blew me away. It was also the only rebellious stuff to listen to compared with what was on the radio. And I didn't know anyone else other than Royce who was listening to it. Royce eventually got kicked out of school but I managed to keep the metal spirit alive by writing the names of all my favorite bands on my tennis shoes. Boy, was I cool.
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted October 29, 2002 21:52     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, the first concert I saw was Huey Lewis and the News... And I honestly wasn't too impressed even at age 12.

But I think Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" doomed me to be a metalhead from age 5 to the present.

First metal show I saw was Neurosis on their first tour. Although we didn't call it metal then.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 29, 2002 23:06     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool topic guys.
I wasn't into music very much as a kid. I liked soundtracks like Star Wars, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and such. I had a few records, mostly K-tel joke songs albums (some of which I still have like Goofy Greats and Dumb Ditties). My Dad liked The Animals, The Beatles, The Zombies, The Ventures, but didn't play it all that much. We listened to lots of Elvis though. My Mom likes the Irish Rovers and Burl Ives. And Elvis of course. The car radio was almost always on a talk station, but when it wasn't it was playing old country music from the 50's to the '70's.
I have 3 cousins (all girls) who were older than me and listened to REO Speedwagon, Styx, Supertramp, and the like. I wasn't too interested in that. In 1982 (when I was 12) the only rock I liked was Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds and some Rush songs I had heard.
Then I heard Judas Priest on the radio and the world stopped.
The Hellion/Electric Eye kicked my ass so bad I went down to the record shop to buy it the next day and I didn't even know what the band was called! I told the guy I wanted a song I thought was called "Eye In The Sky". I think you can see what happened. After the Alan Parsons Project failed to deliver that song I wanted so desperately, I took the album back and told him it was the wrong one. The girl behind the counter asked what the song sounded like and I said "Loud. Lots of guitars.". She knew what I was looking for. She put the stores copy of Screaming For Vengeance on and my face lit up. That was it. Metal had taken my soul. The summer of '83 (between grade 6 & 7) I got quite the haul for my birthday. Iron Maiden's Killers and Def Leppard's Pyromania. After that I spent all of my paper route money on records by Priest, Maiden & Sabbath. Then with the help of magazines like Hit Parader, Rip and others I found more and more bands. First concert was around this time but my memory is playing tricks on me. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe Maiden on the World Piece Tour but to be honest, I'm not sure if I was really there or not. I definetly saw them on the Powerslave tour though. And Priest on the Defenders Of The Faith tour rules as my fave show ever.
I got a guitar for my next birthday and me and a buddy would spend our cash at Records On Wheels buying albums we saw in magazines or that had cool covers.
That's where I found War And Pain. Holy shit. I was blown away. I got right into thrash at that time. While the other "metal" kids were into Ozzy, Def Leppard, and AC/DC, I was rockin' out to Venom, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Celtic Frost and of corse Voivod. Life was good.
High school came along in 1986 and with it came a new flavour of music - Punk. SNFU, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Cro-Mags, JFA, and more. Now there were lots of shows to go to. God, I saw a lot of bands. Circle Jerks, Seven Seconds, UK Subs, The Accused, JFA, SNFU, D.R.I., Dayglo Abortions, Forgotten Rebels, Gang Green, etc. The metal and punk fans were pretty cool with each other here too. I had long hair, jeans, Venom jacket patch, army boots, the whole thing and my girl friend at the time had a mohawk, ripped nylons and doc martens. The crossover couple some called us.
Ah, the good old days...
I'm still metal as fuck, preaching the Gospel Of Steel everywhere I go even though I cut my hair, work in a computer lab, have a wife, daughter, mortgage, etc. I still write music on my PC and spend WAY too much cash on CDs. Haven't been to many shows lately. There haven't really been any. Saw Kataklysm a few weeks ago. Metal is really my first love now that I think about it. My first real passion. It keeps me going through shitty times and makes the good ones even better.
So right nw, I'm gonna crank up some fuckin' metal (perhaps some Opeth or Megadeth?) and have a beer. Cheers to all the metal heads like me on this board. May your steel always be strong. \m/

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 30, 2002 09:00     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool topic indeed!

I wasn't really into music as a kid, as some of you. I listened to the occasional radio songs, while having lunch, watched the occasional Michael Jackson "Thriller" video-clip and so on. First thing I remember is, when I was nine, Kiss played a huge concert in São Paulo, late 1982, it was one of the last (if not the last) gigs of theirs with make up, and also one of the last with Vinnie Vincent in the band. "I love it loud" surely comes to mind as a reminder of those days.

Jump to July or August, '84. The artists to an upcoming big festival were being anounced. The list was enourmous, the festival was the first "Rock In Rio", among others there were AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Ozzy and Def Leppard, who were later replaced by Whitesnake (with Coverdale, Sykes, Murray, Powell and Airey!), due to Rick Allen's accident. That music really inspired me, so I went to a local shop, looking for some of this "heavy metal".

Mind you, I went off the store with two albums: "Defenders Of The Faith" and "Iron Fist", by... uh, you know who.

From that single moment on, I was infected...

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 30, 2002 16:52     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What I want to know is at what point did Kula stop listening to country music and get into metal. C'mon KKS, time to fess up!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 31, 2002 08:41     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Country??? Are you crazy?
I have always hated Country my whole life.
(With the exception of 2 or 3 Conway Twitty songs, but dont tell anyone.)

I liked most anything MTV played up till that BULLSHIT 'Yo! MTV Raps' crap started.

I grew up listening mostly to Rock.

Styx...was a BIG fan! First Concert i ever went to! Stopped listening to them when they went 'Adult Contempoary Top-40.'
That song 'Babe' SUCKS!

The Who. Was hooked on them too.

Rush...was a VERY BIG fan till the 'Grace under Pressure' Album killed them off.
That and Neil's Political Lyrics started to piss me off. I have seen Rush in Concert more than anyone else.

Jethro Tull...Had every album they released.
Went to every Concert i could.

Hawkwind...I have more CD's, Albums and Videos of them than anyone. A friend of Dave Brock gave me coppies of Dave's personal Videos.

Tangerine Dream...Very big on them. Have a lot of rare TD Vinyl.

Electric Light Orchestra...Love that Band.
Jeff Lynn is GOD! lol!

Duran Duran, ABC, Split Endz, Missing Persons, et all...
Yes...i was a fan...and i'm not ashamed to say i still am. Something about all those Poofy Pirate Shirts of the Day.

Due to certain circumstances in my life involving the lies of Christianity and Churches...i missed a lot of the 80's Metal scene. I did discover VOIVOD though.
Thanks to BLACKY and that killer Bass!
Nothingface was my first Voivod CD.
Then after being such a big Terry Brown fan (Rush)...i saw that he Produced Angel Rat.
Fell in love with that album!
Only to later have my love smashed to pieces by Warcorpse. lol!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 31, 2002 17:06     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When I was five years old, or possibly four, my Dad would sit me down next to the record player, stick the giant headphones on and put on Oxygen, Tubular Bells or Hergust Ridge. 'Head' albums.

Then, age 6, my Uncle turned me onto Pink Floyd (DSOTM), age 7 it was The Wall (also my first record, as I asked for my own copy that Christmas) - then age 8 he fucked my mind up completely by lending me Pink Floyds 'The Final Cut'. Say what you like about Roger Waters - those lyrics are genius but not really what an 8 year old boy should sit and listen to every day for a year!

Age ten, it was Queen, 13 it was Motorhead, 14 - Napalm Death & The Stupids, 15 Anthrax, Metallica & Rush. And aged 16, 1989, the day Nothingface came out, Voivod.

17, it was Voivod and only Voivod. Maybe some Loop now and again, but mainly Voivod. If I wanted a change, I'd put a different Voivod album on.

Then, aged 18 came Killing Joke, Skinny Puppy and LSD and things become convoluted and cloudy. It also coincided with Death Metal and Thrash becoming a tired old shitty joke. I hope this might explain my five year Gary Numan addiction...

So, Pup me old Ketamine-scared friend/fiend, I always had cred, right from the time I could speak. It was 'between' my metal fixations that I lost it in a BIG way.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted October 31, 2002 19:54     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I started off at 10 when i came home to a friend and found him in the basement trying to fix his crappy moped. He had an old radio that was playing Immigrant song with the mighty Zeppelin. Shortly after i bought Paranoid with Sabbath followed with all their other albums til Ozzy quit. Then came Motörhead and Metallica. But in 85 I learned that music should be death-heavy with Celtic Frosts Dethroned Emperor and ultra fast with some help by Destruction.
My first encounter with VoiVod was when I saw the video of Tribal Conviction, bought the record same week, think it was 88 or 89 and it’s still awesome.
A short favelist.
Sabbath: Spiral architect
Zeppelin: Kashmir
Rush: Tom Sawyer
Primus: Jerry was a racecardriver
Motorhead: Back at the funny farm, saw them first in 82, was deaf for 3 days
Venom: Welcome to hell, mean stuff
Celtic frost: Dethroned Emperor
VoiVod: Macrosolutions to Megaproblems. The best of them all
Fear Factory: Self bias resistor
Tool: Parabola
Napalm death: The infiltrator
And last another favorite: Confessor: Condemned, a break every ten seconds
Now I’m 36 and happy as hell that VV are coming back in a big way.

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted November 01, 2002 04:21     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I too am a Primus admirer

how ever oysterhead and frog brigade both royally suck

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 01, 2002 05:19     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Vroomfondel - did you ever hear the EP Confessor made? It had a cover of Trouble's 'Last Judgement' and an AMAZING instrumental called 'Endtime'.
Listening to Condemned right now. Those boys rocked. Saw them live a few times in the UK around '92. Can't believe how much they were able to leap around going nuts and still hold that crazy music together. Genius.
"For Me There's No Beautiful - Only Shades Of Black". Fucking excellent.

vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted November 01, 2002 07:58     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi h. Good to see that there are others that know about Confessor, yes i have both the Ep and the Cd at home. They changed name to Flymachine when someone in the band left. They have two songs for download at their website: http://www.flymachine.com/sounds/
It seems as if they buried that band too, but the links for the songs still works.
Cheers...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted November 01, 2002 08:08     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cheers, I have the Fly Machine stuff already. I didn't really get into it, cause it wasn't crazy enough. I wanna hear drum patterns like the begining of 'Condemned'! Fly Machine is a bit too straight forward.
vroomfondel
VoivodFan
Member # 139

posted November 01, 2002 08:28     Profile for vroomfondel   Email vroomfondel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You read my mind brother. They are best at their weirdest. Time to get downtown to buy some clean clothes and some beer,party tonight. and tomorrow too + getting 5 litres of prime swedish moonshine delivered later...
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted November 01, 2002 13:14     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think I can answer this question, lol. It's the "before we were cool metalheads" part I get stuck on...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan