my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Completely Useless Trainspotters Voivod Fact #1 (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Completely Useless Trainspotters Voivod Fact #1
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 28, 2002 19:12     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Having had to learn various VV songs for a covers project (it's almost half done now, Corpse!) I've noticed that Voivod play slightly out of tune.

Not with each other, of course, but collectively a few cents sharp. Blacky has already said that they tuned a half-tone lower to E flat (a revelation that made the job of learning the songs a shitload easier for me!) but putting the tracks directly over my own attempts proves the originals were VERY sharp. It's not my attempt thats out, either, since it's all to an A-440 tuned piano.

This means that, either:

a: Piggys guitar tuner was broken for all those years

b: They were too stoned to play fast and had to speed up the tape before Snake sang on it.

C: They deliberatly notched up the tuning a bit to give it some life and energy, which is a fairly common trick of the trade, or;

d: my record player is fucked.

Anyway, this sharp-tuning is true of Nothingface, Rrroooaaarrr!!! and, to not so great a degree, DH. I haven't tried KT yet because even I, musical genius that I am, wouldn't even begin to attempt a crack at that madness!

Just thought I'd share that with you. Plus, I'm on a first aid course tomorrow, so I get to see lots of pictures of fucked-up mangled arms and shit. The Carcass fan in me rises to the surface!

ekh

(...then again, Lost In Space might make a nice operatta

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 28, 2002 22:51     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Having had to learn various VV songs for a covers project (it's almost half done now, Corpse!) I've noticed that Voivod play slightly out of tune.

Not with each other, of course, but collectively a few cents sharp. Blacky has already said that they tuned a half-tone lower to E flat (a revelation that made the job of learning the songs a shitload easier for me!) but putting the tracks directly over my own attempts proves the originals were VERY sharp. It's not my attempt thats out, either, since it's all to an A-440 tuned piano.

This means that, either:

a: Piggys guitar tuner was broken for all those years

b: They were too stoned to play fast and had to speed up the tape before Snake sang on it.

C: They deliberatly notched up the tuning a bit to give it some life and energy, which is a fairly common trick of the trade, or;

d: my record player is fucked.

Anyway, this sharp-tuning is true of Nothingface, Rrroooaaarrr!!! and, to not so great a degree, DH. I haven't tried KT yet because even I, musical genius that I am, wouldn't even begin to attempt a crack at that madness!

Just thought I'd share that with you. Plus, I'm on a first aid course tomorrow, so I get to see lots of pictures of fucked-up mangled arms and shit. The Carcass fan in me rises to the surface!

ekh

(...then again, Lost In Space might make a nice operatta

Actually the original Lost in Space theme by John Williams was made into a little rock tune by a band called Bedlam, and it was REALLY fucking cool. It is a rarity of the highest form, but one of my bros back in Cali might have it. I am gonna check on that.
There is also the Movie version end titles done by Apollo 440 which fucking rawks.

As far as this tuning thing, I am going to check this against a CD. I will return with a report. This brings me to...
I need a tab for "Tornado" Anyone know of one?

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 29, 2002 03:01     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I need a tab for "Tornado" Anyone know of one?"

'Corpse tackled this one, a braver man than I! I'd suggest you learn it from the bassline, then guitar. Do your musical ears good, sir!

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted October 29, 2002 04:27     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always though the intro bars from "forgotten in space" reminded me of the music from Mad Max 2

"you, you can run, but you cant hide !!!"

Regards from the dazed and confused zone !

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted October 29, 2002 07:49     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

I always though the intro bars from "forgotten in space" reminded me of the music from Mad Max 2

It IS from Mad Max - the first one - , as Piggy confirmed it sometime ago in interview (I wish I had a link or something... ). We can hear a few other musical clin d'oeil in Voïvod, as well...

------------------------------------------------------

Obituaries | Québec Metal bands 1982-2002

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted October 29, 2002 08:23     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well I never knew that - but always suspected it !!!!
Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted October 29, 2002 08:45     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, with Piggy (AND Blacky, as well!!!!) playing rich chords (often 3th/root, or 4th/root, more than the ...ahem.. standard 5th/root), - everything fully distorted - , you have to pay close attention to what's going on.... We're talking harmony here!!!

-----------------------------------------------------

Obituaries | Québec Metal Bands 1982-2002

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted October 29, 2002 08:57     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maatkk:
Well, with Piggy (AND Blacky, as well!!!!) playing rich chords (often 3th/root, or 4th/root, more than the ...ahem.. standard 5th/root), - everything fully distorted - , you have to pay close attention to what's going on.... We're talking harmony here!!!

Exactly... That's why you may think you get it sometimes but no... there's always this little *something* missing, that makes you sound rather close but not right in the end.

Practicing guitar along Piggy's musical textures is a true challenging task, but boy what do we learn...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 29, 2002 09:49     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I would pay a lot more for a Piggy written tab book then an Away art book.

I dunno about this one man... part of me likes to keep the mystery alive! Trying to work out piggy riffs has helped me to stumble onto other sounds I would never have found if it had been straight from a book.

Jeffrey
VoivodFan
Member # 132

posted October 29, 2002 12:37     Profile for Jeffrey   Email Jeffrey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi everybody!

I remember , a few years ago, I have seen a tablature book for NothingFace at Archambault music store in Montreal. Anybody has seen that?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 29, 2002 13:39     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the Nothingface tab book, and I'm sure a few others on the forum do also.
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted October 30, 2002 16:41     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The tuning is 435, not really half-tone, so you must find a tuner that can go there. All albums before and including Angel Rat were done that way, of course you still need to figure out the chords, which isn't easy. There is no slowing down the tapes or anything like that, which could have been good after Away did his tracks on Roar since it was too fast and Piggy couldn’t play all the notes that he had planned for some of his solos.

As far as tabs go, you could ask Dan Mongrain, the guitarist of Martyr . He is the only one I know that can write tabs correctly. I have seen lots of them in the past and listened to some, but none of them are totally accurate, which is very interesting to hear. The Forgotten in Space intro is from Road Warrior, the second Mad Max movie, with the soundtrack by Brian May.

One other part in that song is from an second song of the same movie, here are the songs.
Confrontation
Marauder's Massacre

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted October 30, 2002 18:47     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:

The Forgotten in Space intro is from Road Warrior, the second Mad Max movie, with the soundtrack by Brian May.

Oups! I always thought it was from the first one... My mistake! I guess I'll have to rent it again sometime...

Thanks for the ... ahem... clarification!!

----------------------------------------------------

Obituaries | Québec Metal Bands 1982-2002

St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted October 30, 2002 18:57     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
God I love Killing Technology!
Still can't get enough of the album....
'Forgotten In Space' Still rules!
ThanX for the details guys!

-St. Michael.........

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted October 31, 2002 03:51     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blacky:
There is no slowing down the tapes or anything like that, which could have been good after Away did his tracks on Roar since it was too fast and Piggy couldn’t play all the notes that he had planned for some of his solos.

ROTFL!!!

so there, the Piggy had to cut short a lot of notes there... is it the *too fast* version we get to hear on the album or did you guys force Away to re-record his parts so that all the notes in Piggy's solos could fit in???

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 31, 2002 04:15     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"The tuning is 435, not really half-tone, so you must find a tuner that can go there. "

A-ha! Typical French-Canadian to be so awkward!

I'll just have to adjust all my synths, or pretend that you played in tune. Are you sure you guys weren't too stoned?

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted October 31, 2002 04:56     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This explains why the band never played Forgotten In Space live I guess.

It's still one of my favorites.

So is Mad Max.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted October 31, 2002 07:05     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nate Carson:
This explains why the band never played Forgotten In Space live I guess.
It's still one of my favorites.
So is Mad Max.

Hmmm... well, they did!
at least once in Westland, MI 5/14/87.

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted October 31, 2002 17:04     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Strange. Piggy told me they never played it...
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 31, 2002 17:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe he Forgot.
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted November 01, 2002 00:34     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Piggy was right, it was also a very difficult song to play live, to play it well.
I can't be sure when, but yes we did play it, as to when, you got me on that one. Outcast do you have the recording of it? Westland, MI 5/14/87, that's Killing Tech-Tornado tour with Kreator. Looking back at that tour, the first show in Quebec city, one guy tried to get in with a shot gun, the first five row of seats were demolished, a stage diver almost killed himself by jumping in the orchestral pit during Kreator...that was the warm up gig.

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted November 05, 2002 10:46     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blacky, I have shot you an email!
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted November 05, 2002 11:42     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thanks, got it Outdy! btw Piggy had to cut some notes, just few, we didn't have much money at the time to re-record songs. At the end it all fit very nicely.
so yep we did play forgotten in space.

prozak
unregistered

posted November 06, 2002 12:54       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Martyr is also a killer band.
http://www.anus.com/metal/martyr.html

Hope no one minds the URL instead of me re-typing lavish analysis of one of the few remaining interesting metal bands.

IP: Logged
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted November 11, 2002 18:20     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aw well now I'm totally confused! The open guitar strings at the start of Hypercube are B and E, which mean Piggy at least is tuned to E, only a few cents too high, making it sound brighter and my strings that bit tighter.

As a result, my fingertips are completely fucked after spending an hour nailing the solo. I haven't had calluses like this since I was bloody 15! That tricky bastard does a lot of bending, and like Blacky he completly chucks the rule book away.

I thought his rhythm was hard - you try learning his solos!

So anyway, I've just got to get my Telecaster re-wired (wanted to do it on the Clarinet but its too fuckin' hard in that key!) and my first Voivodfan cover is done.

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan