my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » More Probot news......

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Probot news......
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 20, 2002 09:00     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From Blistering:

Foo Fighters mainman Dave Grohl contemplated approaching Unleashed frontman Johnny Hedlund to contribute lead vocals to one of the songs for his upcoming metal project, Probot, but changed his mind after learning of the Swedish death metal vocalist's rumored Nazi leanings, Grohl revealed in an interview with Sweden's Close-Up magazine.

"I love Unleashed's music — it's fucking cool," Grohl told the magazine. "[But] one of the guys involved [in putting the Probot record together], Matt Sweeney [who is credited as being the album's executive producer and 'riff consultant'—ed.], pointed out that [Johnny] wouldn't be appropriate for this."

Probot, the much-anticipated project recently described by Grohl as "the most kick-ass death metal compilation ever", remains unreleased despite having been in the works for much of the last three years. While RCA Records are said to have been interested in issuing the album (via Grohl's Roswell imprint), no release date has yet been announced, even though the album has been done for over a year.

"On the Queens Of The Stone Age tour, a 55-year-old mother of two came up to me and asked, 'When is Probot coming out?'," Grohl recalled. "I gave her a strange look and said, 'Ehhh… I don't think you're gonna like it.' [And she was like] 'Yes, I just went out and bought Voivod's first three records, and they're great.' [And I was like] 'What, you like 'War And Pain'? You're an old mother and everything.' I didn't even like 'War And Pain'. 'Rrroooaaarrr', that's a different story."

As previously reported, Probot's upcoming CD will include a dozen-or-so tracks featuring some of metal's most celebrated and respected vocalists, including Lemmy (Motorhead), Cronos (Venom), King Diamond (Mercyful Fate, King Diamond), Tom G. Fischer (ex-Celtic Frost), Snake (Voivod), Eric Wagner (Trouble), Max Cavalera (Soulfly, ex-Sepultura), Mike Dean (C.O.C.), Wino (ex-The Obsessed) and Lee Dorrian (Cathedral).

Among the tracks that are set to appear on the effort are the following:

01. Dictatorsaurus (feat. Snake) 02. Centuries Of Sin (feat. Cronos) 03. Access Babylon (feat. Mike Dean) 04. Sweet Dreams (feat. King Diamond) 05. Ice Cold Man (feat. Lee Dorrian) 06. My Tortured Soul (feat. Eric Wagner) 07. Big Sky (feat. Tom G. Fischer) 08. Emerald Lies (feat. Wino) 09. Shake Your Blood (feat. Lemmy)

In a recent interview with Canada's Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, Grohl explained how the idea for the project came about.

"It started out as a project in my basement," Dave stated. "At first I was just recording a bunch of instrumentals for fun and I had no intention of releasing it and I had no intention of having anyone else sing on it. And then after recording the first seven songs, I thought it would be kind of funny to almost make fun of that SANTANA record that had come out recently, with a different vocalist on every song. And then I played on the Tony Iommi [self-titled solo] record that is kind of the same concept, and I thought wow, maybe this will work. But instead of having the mainstream or more popular singers, I decided to restrict it to this genre of underground metal from 1982 to 1989. So we started calling people and I wasn't sure everyone would be cooperative, just because it was kind of out of left field that a guy from Nirvana would be calling people, like Cronos from Venom or Tom G. Warrior or Lee Dorrian. And everybody was really, really excited to do it. And from there it was a really simple process of simply calling up and saying, 'Would you like to be a part of it.' And if they agreed, I would send them a copy of the song that I thought they should sing on, they would call me back and either say yes or no and everybody said yes. And then we would just send them the master tape, give them money for the studio, then they would sing on it and they just sent them back. And one by one, they started coming back and they were just fucking awesome! Every one of them was just... I just waited for them to come in the mail."

|  IP: Logged
Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted October 20, 2002 14:20     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First time i hear about this project, but hey, this sounds really cool! Grohl writing death metal? Snake and T. G. Warrior on vocals? Hope it will be released soon...
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 20, 2002 16:44     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"...but changed his mind after learning of the Swedish death metal vocalist's rumored Nazi leanings"

Er..sorry, but what the fuck has that got to do with anything? "Rumored Nazi leanings"?!? Utter snob-headed bollocks.

Sieg Hi-yaaa!

satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted October 20, 2002 17:01     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EKH....You crazy nut you! lol!

I would have to agree that it's a pretty lame excuse. To Politicise this project is just wrong. But then again, it's Dave's and he can do whatever he wants.
By no means am i a Nazi...but as a firm believer in FREEDOM OF SPEECH...then even Viewpoints i Hate, must be able to have theyre say.
Christ! I sound like a "Patriotic American!"
Uggg. Sorry about that.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 21, 2002 11:12     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read somewhere that "Nazi tendencies" kept him from recording with Black Metal guys from Norway. Gotta agree with you guys, that's pretty lame...
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 21, 2002 12:34     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That smacks a little of McCarthyism, eh?
Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted October 22, 2002 09:44     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lame excuse? He doesn't like Nazis, or peole with "Nazi leaning" (what the fuck does that mean anyway, ha?), so he doesn't want to work with one. It's his choice, after all.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 22, 2002 18:18     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, but then a statement along the lines of:

"I love Unleashed's music — it's fucking cool, but I spoke to the guy in question and since we have hugely different political views he won't be involved"

..is a bit better to swallow than:

"I love Unleashed's music — it's fucking cool, but my mate who's never met them reckons that he heard once from somewhere that they might be, y'know...Nazis! I hate to think that someone who might conceivably be a Nazi (or might not, dunno, never met him) would affect my watery pop records in that it might offend some cunt somewhere..."

Grohl then wasted several Thrash legend's time by getting them to record vocals over some death metal he had recorded in his own house, but then didn't release it ever.

Not that I dislike the guy or his music - saw him at Reading and he was great - love his videos - tollorate his watery pop when my wife puts it on in her car.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 22, 2002 18:33     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well said EKH.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 23, 2002 08:22     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kinda smacks of personal preference too, which I am in total favor of.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 23, 2002 08:27     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personal prefrence based on askewed thought?
(did i spell that right? lol!)

I would still like to hear this project.
Hopefully it will be released before i am dead.

Cockroach
VoivodFan
Member # 115

posted October 23, 2002 17:51     Profile for Cockroach   Email Cockroach     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Yeah, but then a statement along the lines of:

"I love Unleashed's music — it's fucking cool, but I spoke to the guy in question and since we have hugely different political views he won't be involved"

..is a bit better to swallow than:

"I love Unleashed's music — it's fucking cool, but my mate who's never met them reckons that he heard once from somewhere that they might be, y'know...Nazis! I hate to think that someone who might conceivably be a Nazi (or might not, dunno, never met him) would affect my watery pop records in that it might offend some cunt somewhere..."

Grohl then wasted several Thrash legend's time by getting them to record vocals over some death metal he had recorded in his own house, but then didn't release it ever.

Ok, you're right, maybe the phrasing wasn't very lucky, but i don't think that his decision was based on this affecting his watery pop records (lol, this is funny). And most certainly the whole issue has nothing to do with the record not being released (sorry if my grammar is damnable)

Not that i'm a big fan of him...

Oh and yes, i would like to hear it too, in this life of mine

Jestas
Junior VoivodFan
Member # 295

posted April 26, 2003 01:11     Profile for Jestas   Email Jestas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Any news on this? Months have passed, I hope it won't be wasted away BTW, has Snake mentioned this little appearance in any interview? I'm really looking forward to it!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted April 28, 2003 08:26     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dunno, man. Seeing as Grohl is in Killing Joke, QOTSA and the Foos I doubt he has time to wipe his own arse, let alone release Probot.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan