my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Voivod should open for Tool

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voivod should open for Tool
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted October 15, 2002 20:23     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tool has been taking excellent support acts like The Melvins, King Crimson, Tomahawk, and Meshuggah.

I think the timing is right for them to take Voivod to the masses.

|  IP: Logged
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 15, 2002 22:10     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Given the fact that it would be kinda cool to see Voivod on a huge stage, I would rather see them more "up close and personal"

The last time I had an opportunity to see the VOD was when they toured with Neurosis, in a small bar...and not "headlining" for that matter!

But nevertheless, it was cool just to actually "watch" them play without having someone slam into you.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 15, 2002 22:51     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that Voivod is many years overdue for some huge exposure. I have noticed lately that Tool owes much of its signature sound to Jonquiere's finest, but I'd almost dread seeing Voivod open for them.

A few years ago, Pearl Jam tried getting that same mass exposure for the Ramones. I don't believe that it paid off and I feel the Ramones' integrity was left to pay the tab.

However, Tool fans are more likely to "get" Voivod's sound than PJ fans would be to identify with the Ramones, so as much as it makes me squirm to fathom it perhaps it would be a good move.

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted October 16, 2002 05:52     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I will always prefer seeing my favorite bands in a small club. It just seems like it would also be cool to hear instellar prog metal at arena volumes.

And with the cool light show.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 16, 2002 06:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I prefer seeing bands in a small venue also but if you want to get new fans you need to open for bigger acts that draw people.

TOOL would be great for Voivod, they helped King Crimson get new fans that otherwise would have never heard them.

Pearl Jam has always brought along friends to open in hopes to get them more exposure..

Porcupine Tree is opening for YES for the next few months and also playing headliners in smaller clubs on off days...GREAT IDEA...I hope to get to one of the small club shows so I can stand at the stage again!!!

Any exposure to new ears is always a plus for any band.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 16, 2002 13:04     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that's a cool ideam but having just seen Meshuggah with Tool, I gotta lean towards the smaller venues.

The Tool/Crimson tour was especially cool because they played mid-size venues such as theatres and playhouses... bigger than clubs, but not so massive that you get that "arena" sound. Unfortunately, tickets for these shows sold out in minutes.

Actually, the first time I saw Voivod was in Seattle's Moore Theatre (with Soundgarden) and the sound and performance were fuckin' flawless! It'd be easier for me to give up the club intamacy for that more so than the arena tour.

tattooedsean777
VoivodFan
Member # 128

posted October 17, 2002 01:08     Profile for tattooedsean777   Email tattooedsean777     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would say that it would be a good idea after voivod did a few medium size/ club type tours to start building up steam then get on just the right big tour if they think that is the only way to gather those new fans that just won't go to the club shows.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted October 17, 2002 06:03     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod open for Tool? Surely the other way around in the ideal universe?

I wonder if Sonic Youth asked them to play at that ATP event they organised?

Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted October 17, 2002 08:41     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
VOIVOD SHOULD OPEN FOR NO ONE EXCEPT VOIVOD

If Jasonic brings a bit of exposure - so be it and gladly welcomed it would be too - but to open for TOOL ??? You gotta be kidding me ! I have nowt against TOOL at all, but for hatross' sake, this is the chance we have all been waiting for since W+P - VOIVOD coming to the front.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan