my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Get over it (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: Get over it
Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey
VoivodFan
Member # 65

posted October 15, 2002 13:17     Profile for Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey   Email Delightful Little Capuchin Monkey     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay, so Jason Newsted is playing bass in Voivod. Voivod is back together with Snake for the first time in 9 years. Cool. They're about to release the first album with Snake on Vocals since The Outer Limits and go on tour. Very cool. And why am I not surprised that there still exists this lame chorus of douche-nozzles spouting off about how awful Metallica and their fanbase is. If you belong to the above-mentioned group of whining retards, I have to make a suggestion: GET OVER IT. You'll feel so much better. If you had been like me and listened to the Black Album back in '91 and thought "Wow, I'm not into this. Oh well." and moved on and found other cool new bands to listen to, you wouldn't find yourselves 11 YEARS after the fact going onto thought-provoking forums for a great band like Voivod and continuing to bitch about how Metallica 'sold out'. Me? I like listening to Master of Puppets and Justice and Ride the Lightning and enjoy them as much as I did back when I bought them. Now Jason joins Voivod and they're going to get some extra press attention. They might even *gasp* get some new fans along the way. If there were ever a group of musicians who deserved to reap the rewards for their art, it's Voivod. Why the FUCK would any of you begrudge them that? The music is the same whether 100 poeple hear it or 10 million. So, some guy who goes to the Voivod show to see what Jason's up to now decides "hey - Voivod is REALLY GOOD" and picks up Killing Technology, Dimension, Nothingface, RRROOOARR or whatever. Boy, that would be a shame. *sarcasm*

All I can say is this - bring on the Rolling Stone review of the new album. Bring on the write ups on MTV.com. Maybe now the general public will understand why bands like Sonic Youth, Metallica, Soundgarden, the Ramones, Sepultura et al. always talked about how good Voivod is. This is something we here all knew from the get-go, but don't you remember how completely mind-blowing it was the first time you heard them? I envy all those unsuspecting kids out there who are going to hear Dimension Hatross for the first time.

|  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 15, 2002 13:42     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted October 15, 2002 14:22     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
success is the kiss of death for artistic creativity...

it's a fact!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 15, 2002 14:30     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Success can be measured by many different yardsticks. (And those with little financial success have also bottomed out creatively, it's just not as widely publicized)

And once again on voivodfan we can all agree to disagree. That's the great thing about this forum, a variety of opinions can be heard. Btw, I'm not pro or anti JN (although I have to admit I wish he had gone for the 'Backy' nic. heh).

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 15, 2002 14:31     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are 100's of Bands who have done just fine after finding Success, Mr. Paranoid!

Your persuit of an Unsuccessfull Voivod
is downright TREASON!

You shall be shot at Sunrise.

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted October 15, 2002 15:30     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i just want them to be all that they can be, as evidenced by what they once were...
is that so wrong?

there is only one way for that to happen...
a lobotomy for the skunk and...
DEATH TO THE POODLE!!!!!!

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted October 15, 2002 16:31     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
to hex on the x (x2):
wrong, wrong, are you wrong?
unhappy=creative
happy=dipshit

the only way to become pure is to enter the abyss
you've got to go crazy
walk into the fire and see if anything is left

when things are stagnant, meaning no storm, bacteria grows and things become unpure, eaten through, and turned to shit
i hate where the slime live (but, i like the song)

we need contrasting parts to create energy

success makes you happy and the quest is dead

he who dares, wins

of course, some people hate material wealth, and are tortured by it

in conclusion, read the lyrics to mind on fire by KREATOR

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 15, 2002 17:41     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mr. Phobia, are you drawing the conclusion that because of Newsted's involvement that Voivod are somehow going to become a huge financial success? And that because of this, the band will lose...

Aw fuck it.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 15, 2002 18:14     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey! This is great!
I'm having a good-ol-time reading all this!

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 15, 2002 18:16     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I feel somehow the same way... As I said in other thread, it doesn't sound like a "true from the heart" feeling from Jason... Like Dana posted in the "Greetings from the Chophouse" thread, it says; "...are so glad that he escaped to clutches of Metallica to play the music he truely loves...", what???, he was in a band "forced" to play music??? Why would you do that for??? Money??? RIGHT!!!! And now he says that is playing what he truly loves...mmmmmmm, I don't know man...
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 15, 2002 18:39     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think when Jason joined Metallica he was joining a band that he loved and playing tunes that were great! It wasn't until the albums beginning with and following the Black Album that the band evolved into an uninspired tour 'de crap that they are now.

One can hardly blame Newsted for the decline of Metallica considering the limited capacity in which he was allowed to contribute towards songwriting... I give the guy credit for leaving the cash cow/creative void that is now Metallica and hooking up with one of the most underappreciated, creativly signifigant, and relevant metal bands ever!

Schroeder said it best in the other thread, this is a WIN/WIN situation for Voivod! The 90's were very hard on these guys and they fully deserve any press, propaganda, financial gain, or historical credit they can get!

One final note: You guys who are saying Voivod are gonna get all huge from this are giving the general public way too much credit! A band like Voivod is too weird and heady for mass consumption! Any marked growth in their fanbase is most likely gonna be a bunch more music-freaks like us who just haven't had the opportunity to experience the mighty VOD!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 15, 2002 19:14     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey guys...
There aint NOTHIN wrong with "Paying your Dues" and building-up some Wealth so that later...
You can go back and support what you really love!

Jasonic is on the Bass Tracks that they are Probably layin-down RIGHT NOW.

Just give it a Chance, you paranoid crazies!

I say:

VIVA LE VOIVOD!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 15, 2002 19:16     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Y'know, this is all just a bunch of bullshit.

I remember a couple years ago when the rumors started about Jason joining Voivod and immediatly a couple of people started to get all bent outta shape about "Oh, my little Voivod band is being taken away, it's not my secret little thing anymore"....

BAH!

So typical. I hate dumbass metalheads.

It's not like they're gonna be plastered all over MTV and playin' the fucking Tonight Show anytime soon!

For a band that has been around for so long, they most definately deserve their time in the sun. They have most indubitably paid their dues.

And as for success, while they may have never achieved commercial success, they were able to make a name for themselves all over the world, and that's success to me.

And to think that they'll become bland if they indeed become sucessful commercially, is a slap in the face of the whole band.

We should just be grateful that they could stick it out that long, and we should be thankful that they got Snake back, and we should be thankful that they're recording a new record for US ALL instead of worrying about trivial fuckin' shit like that. If you're afraid to see them scoop a few more fans and sell a couple more albums from curious "metallihicks", you probably were never a fan anyway. Who would want them to fail?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 15, 2002 20:19     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Skullhed=No Bullshit!

Agreed! Voivod's making a new album! It's finally happening. Fuckin' enjoy it already!

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted October 16, 2002 05:46     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
It's not like they're gonna be plastered all over MTV and playin' the fucking Tonight Show anytime soon!

Now that would be a sight indeed! "The number one hit of the US R'n'B Top 20 for fifth week in a row: Multiverse (Voivod feat. Jayzon) Yeah!"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 16, 2002 06:06     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's funny how people will hate to see a band they love achive sucess and fortune...why do you think they make music in the first place? They hope they can create something on their terms , in their unique way, and the public will buy it and they can make a good living doing their art, and not have to do the 9 to 5 job!!!

You don't put out records in hopes to sell only 1500 copies, tour to empty clubs and loose you small lifes savings.

It seems some people here would be happy if if Voivod weren't sucessful, and that's just stupid, and that doesn't make you a true fan, or a friend of those you admire in the first place.

Do you think Away and Snake and Piggy sit around hoping all their fans loose their jobs, so they can't make money, and can't be successful...give it up or move on!!!

It would be great to see bands like Voivod, & King Crimson be embraced by the general public for what they create and sell platinum...but until the general public changes, it's good to see these bands stick it out for all these years and continue to release records.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 16, 2002 06:23     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
You don't put out records in hopes to sell only 1500 copies, tour to empty clubs and loose you small lifes savings.

You don't....? oh shit!! I've been doing it wrong all these years !!!

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 16, 2002 10:04     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The discussion has gone slightly off course. It started out discussing how "lowbrows" will take to Voivod's sound and has somehow morphed into a discussion that assumes Jason's involvement will suddenly land them untold riches and cameos in Ja-Rule videos.

What has started out as a humorously elitist topic, now drips with accusations of treason.

satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted October 16, 2002 10:16     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All persons responsible for Voivod Treason...
shall be SHOT at Sunrise!

hehehehe!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 16, 2002 17:05     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nothingface's post is classic! I have seldom seen topics around here ever stay remotely on course as intended. This forum is is indeed full of lunatics. Gotta love it!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 16, 2002 18:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahahahahahahah
heheheheheheh
hohohohohohohohoh

giggle giggle giggle

wooooooooo

schro the lunatic

Dana
VoivodFan
Member # 130

posted October 16, 2002 20:19     Profile for Dana   Email Dana     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Gerfat...

I said what I said in the "Greetings from the Chophouse" thread regarding Jason escaping the clutches of Metallica... because this was a band that he was just the bass player for, he was not part of the song writing, arranging, etc... Jason paid his dues in this band, playing what he was told to with little to no input into the bands songs or direction because we all know that it was always about what Lars and James wanted... He was smart to ride the wave until the wave started consuming the band and he then had the smarts to get out... Did he make a huge pile of cash??? Hell yeah he did!!! What would you have done in his situation??? Walked away??? Yeah right!!!
You pay your dues, you make your contacts, you make your money and then you have the power to control your career... He can now play what he wants, with whoever he wants, and I give him a hell of alot of credit for doing it...
I am the first person that will admit that I am tried of debating the Jason/Metallica thing, but I felt that it needed to be said here because I dont think that alot of people truely understood how mistreated and disrespected Jason was by Lars and James...

Jason has always poured his heart and soul into everything that he has ever been a part of, and I see know reason why any Voivod fan should think that he would give any less...

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 16, 2002 21:38     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always liked Jason's playing. Flotsam And Jetsam's No Place For Disgrace gets frequent play in my house. I'm glad he's in Voivod. At first I thought maybe he wasn't 100% into it, treating it like a side project. That would have been terrible for the band. They would have been back at square one after the album was recorded - without a bass player. But I knew he was good friends with the guys and wouldn't fuck them around so his official induction into the greatest metal band of all time was good news to me. it means the Voivod machine is in high gear, ready to tear us all a new one. \m/
Dana is right about Metallica, Jason was a hired gun and I feel bad for him that he didn't get to express his creative ideas with them. After all, he was the most metal out of all of them as far as I'm concerned. If he'd been allowed some input, I bet the Load and Re-Load albums wouldn't suck as bad as they do. But, in the end Voivod is all that really matters anyway and things are looking good!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 16, 2002 22:27     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yah... but that was Troy Gregory on that record, though. Jason played on Doomsday for the Deceiver, 'member? Loved his bass tone on there, too... Huge.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 16, 2002 23:02     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Yah... but that was Troy Gregory on that record, though. Jason played on Doomsday for the Deceiver, 'member? Loved his bass tone on there, too... Huge.

Must have been Troy on bass, but Jason (co)wrote almost every song on that album (this must include bass lines, correct me if I'm wrong ).

Anyway, Jason is on a position right now where he could do anything he wanted in life. I mean, every musician in the world (including James and Lars) would love to have him around playin' bass. And he chose Voïvod. See, as a permanent member, unlike the other few bands he played in after leaving Metallica.

Some of you guys aren't dumbass metalheads, of course, BUT you are being unfair with the guy...

BTW, as we can't have Blacky back in the band, Jason is the best second choice anyone could dream of!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan