my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Jasonic on tour...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jasonic on tour...
Seb YB1
VoivodFan
Member # 129

posted October 14, 2002 15:05     Profile for Seb YB1   Email Seb YB1     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
According to BlabberMouth :

JASON NEWSTED: I Will Tour With VOIVOD - Oct. 14, 2002

Former METALLICA and current VOIVOD bassist Jason Newsted has confirmed plans to tour with the latter outfit following the release of the band's next album, The Multiverse, tentatively due in early March.

"We plan to tour together... the original members and myself," Newsted wrote in an Oct. 11 post on the official Chophouse Records message board. "We're all excited and kicking your collective ass!"

"VOIVOD will be touring next year following the album release," he added in another post dated last Friday, once again implying that the group's participation in the upcoming North American trek headlined by NILE is less than 100% confirmed (a suggestion that has been rejected as false by the tour's booking agent).

The Multiverse is currently being recorded at The Plant in Sausalito, California under the watchful eye of Newsted and co-producer Brian Joseph Dobbs (ECHOBRAIN, MANMADEGOD). The 13-song effort, which is expected to surface through Newsted-owned Chophouse (in association with Surfdog Records), will mark the group's first since the return of original frontman Snake (a.k.a. Denis Belanger) last year.

|  IP: Logged
Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted October 14, 2002 16:40     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 14, 2002 19:56     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BTW Jason played a couple of shows with GOVT MULE recently, which was probably why VOIVOD didn't have anything happening at Chophouse. Newsted contributed some great bass to the new Govt Mule cd Deep End Vol. 2, and I must say he did a fine job.
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 14, 2002 21:09     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of the "Lamest" things I can think of now that "Jasonic" is touring with the VOD, is that now you'll have all of the "flambouyantly-gay-metallica-hicks" checking the out the show just because of him, without truly giving deserved attention to Voivod's music!!!
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 15, 2002 08:53     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackcloud of Deicide:
One of the "Lamest" things I can think of ...now you'll have all of the "flambouyantly-gay-metallica-hicks" checking the out the show just because of him...

This notion has plagued me since hearing of Jason's "possible" involvement over a year ago. The thought that I might have to stand shoulder to shoulder with Metalli-mouthbreathers in allegiance to Voivod was killing me. Since then I've realized that the Beavis & Buttheads that follow Metallica will be briefly interested, but won't stay because:

1. "That dude don't sound tough like Hetfield".
2. Away doesn't draw like Pushead.
3. Voivod shows don't include heavy pyro use (a key element to holding the attention of the easily amused.)
4. "The Multi-what?"

I've been feeling better about it lately. We may have a brief influx of lowbrows checking out the landscape, but it'll be temporary.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 15, 2002 09:01     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys are too PARANOID!

Jason will be GREAT with Voivod!

I Welcome ANYONE who wants to check out Voivod...no matter what theyre reasons.

Lighten-up, will ya?

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 15, 2002 09:07     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 15, 2002 09:14     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahaha! You crazy nut, you.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 15, 2002 10:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
...We may have a brief influx of lowbrows checking out the landscape, but it'll be temporary.

lol! The way I look at it is that I wanna see Voivod live. Snake, Piggy and Away is as close to perfect as it's gonna be. Whoever is playing bass won't matter to me. And if the band can make a few extra bucks from curious metallica fans, then good luck to them. No one deserves more exposure than Voivod. When I was listening to 'Ride The Lightning' I had never heard of Voivod. Now I haven't heard anything metallica's done in years, and I'm not really interested. There will be some genuine new fans out there, who will see the light and never go back to live amongst the lowbrows!!!
Let's just wait and see how it sounds. As long as I like it, I don't give a fuck who else does.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 15, 2002 12:23     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey now fellas... let's not forget where we all come from here! I know my first introductions to Voivod were sitting around a dirty coffee-table with a bong in front of me... and listening to RRROOOAAARRR squeezed in between Metallica's "Ride The Lightning" and Iron Maiden's "Live After Death".

Newsted's trying to do what all us of do all the time! Expose Voivod to more people! I see no problems with that! In addition, I don't mind sharing the floor with some people who have never seen the mighty VOD before! I doubt the jock/butt-rock type dudes are gonna bother checking out a show after hearing anything Voivod has already released anyways! Ya'll are having an Overreaction!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 15, 2002 12:27     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agreed hexonxonx. All should be, and are welcome. I gotta admit that nothingface's terminology tickles me though. I've never seen an influx of lowbrows! It paints some inanely daft images in my head though! I'm guessing that was the intent of the post - humour rather than aggression.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 15, 2002 12:37     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lol X-D, I remember that coffee table...
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 15, 2002 13:30     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Voivod may be a bit to technical and progressive for some Metallica fans, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of new listeners will become Voivod fans after this exposure, and this could mean a possible revitaization of the past catalog if enough people start purchasing the earlier cds. As far as I'm concerned this is a win win situation for the band. It's not bad to sell a lot of albums and make money, if you're doing it without compromising your ideas and ethics, and I doubt Voivod would start doing that.

I loved the CUNNING STUNTS dvd...killer show whith cool theatrics thrown in...nothing wrong with that. I do think Metallica has gone down hill since the early days and they lost some sight of their vision and music...but shit, things get different when your a multi millionaire and you're probably not as pissed off at the world as you were when you were trying to sell enough tickets to fill a small club so you can cover the beer tab.

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted October 15, 2002 14:17     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, looky here...
we're having a thread about the commercial aesthetics of voivod (3/4), already

it's so very pleasant that you're welcoming the whole world to join in peace and harmony w/ the "voivod" experience

but, you just wait till you're slapped in the face w/ the grim reality (so grim, so true, so real) that there is a metalliqueer on stage, when it's burping and farting into the microphone and doing that iguana neck-swivel freaky ass thing it does while it's playing its instrument, which you can't fucking hear in the first place!!!!!!

HA!!!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 15, 2002 15:05     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 15, 2002 15:12     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Mr. Paranoid has been Traumatized
somewhere in his past.

Voivod are NOT turning into Slipknot, ok?

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted October 15, 2002 15:23     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think if the bass hadn't been removed from the mix, "And Justice For All" would be the greatest progressive metal album ever.

Metallica fans are totally prepared for Voivod. It makes sense to me. I'm excited.

Just don't let him write any more lyrics!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 15, 2002 16:44     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Noitall Posted:
Lol X-D, I remember that coffee table...

LOL! Don't forget "Randy" either... you remember, that guy named Randy who lived down the street from you (and all of us), in his parents basement (whom you never saw), had a moustache, walls covered with posters of Bon Scott, The Scorpions, and Judas Priest. Ahh, the memories of weed, cheap beer, Black Sabbath, and the dirty coffee table. He'd play me some Dio, and in return I'd try and share some Celtic Frost (which he had problems with because he couldn't understand the lyrics ) The Dokken vs. Metallica debates could sometimes continue late into the evenings. Good times were always had, until Randy got that job working on the fishing boats up in Alaska... my friends and I never heard from him again.

X-D, Having a beer for the dude named "Randy" from all of our youths!

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted October 15, 2002 16:56     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah, and i'm the one who was traumatized....

i hate to tell you this xd, but "randy" was eaten by an orca, then the orca puked him back out mullet and all (i'm psychic)

i think "voivod" should name the new album "the coffee table", not "the multiverse"
maybe?

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 15, 2002 17:25     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are in rare form today Mr. Phobia! With respect, I bow to you!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 15, 2002 18:20     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah! Cheers to Mr. Phobia!
Has me crackin-up!
LOL!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 16, 2002 06:17     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There are coffee tables just like that all over the world.... *sigh... glazed far away look overcomes me as I am lost in fond memory*....
I'll be rolling up on one the day the new Voivod cd comes out, and I'll be chuffed as fuck.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan