my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » LOUD World (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: LOUD World
St. Michael
VoivodFan
Member # 36

posted October 15, 2002 15:31     Profile for St. Michael   Email St. Michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well you know me....
The song that still "Fucks with my head" to this day would be: "Nocturnal Fear" CELTIC FROST - Morbid Tales '84

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 15, 2002 17:41     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Monger: "Horror of Yig by GWAR "
GOOD one!
I saw them play that down in Tijuana once, and it melted my gonads.

And a couple of you opted for
FFWF -Metallica
which still scorches the Earth 18 Years later

My entry for today:
Disconnect Self - OLD
~Beyond all realms; Multi-Dimensional Disturbances are felt

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted October 17, 2002 00:16     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Side 2 of 'Low'from Testament.
I keep forgetting how cool these guys are. SF/Oakland tearing shit up
:::
The blood and honey dripping from their jaws...

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted October 17, 2002 13:42     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tangento:
[QB]Monger: "Horror of Yig by GWAR "
GOOD one!
I saw them play that down in Tijuana once, and it melted my gonads.

Haha! I am seeing them 12 days from now in Calgary. I'll be sure to wear my best clothes and I'll try to get some dirty filthy pictures also.

My pick for today: lets stay on a Voivod theme : Warriors of Ice

killer tune!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 17, 2002 13:52     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, Gwar in Tijunana. That would be cool. After that did you go watch Jai Alai? I love that game, the first time I ever saw it was in Tijuana.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 17, 2002 17:05     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Wow, Gwar in Tijunana. That would be cool. After that did you go watch Jai Alai?

Jai Alai?
That obscure sport was certainly the last thing on my mind.
I was completely inebriated, the girl we were with was covered and stained pink from head to toe with the vile fluids of Oderus. I had to find my way back to my truck, which we wisely parked across the border.
I also had to pray that I hadn't lost my coil wire, which I wisely removed from the distributor to deter theft of my
Killer '89 Dodge Dakota Sport Factory Convertible Pickup.
God, I miss that thing.
Well, we made it out of there and I even got to see Sleazy P. take off his hair, as I peeked backstage from above. He saw that I saw, and actually RAN AWAY! That guy is too fucking funny.
Sorry to ramble.
So is Jai Alai anywhere near as cool as hockey?

Oh yeah, song for the day:
I, Me Mine - Godflesh
If played LOUD enough, your neigbors will pack it up & leave.

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted October 18, 2002 06:20     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Isn't Jai Alai that game which Crocket & Tubbs often went to see in Miami Vice?

I used to think that hockey is the fastest ball game on earth, but then I saw a program about Jai Alai. They said the ball can sometimes move as fast as 140 mph!?! Is that true?

Hey Nuclear I., I also seem to forget Testament! The Gathering is a real killer album! It HAS to be played at over 120dB!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 18, 2002 10:14     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Probably Väinämöinen! Miami has the oldest Jai Alai court in North America. And the court in Tijuana has cheap booze, so getting smashed there is a lot less dangerous than on the streets. You bet on the game (which is quite funny when you're a) loaded and b) you don't know any of the players so your criteria goes along the lines of, 'he's small so he must be fast'), they play singles and doubles and yeah, the ball moves at crazy speeds. (Sorry Tangento, I know I'm totally off your LOUD topic!) About the game:
quote:
Even though more than 400 years has past since the sport first originated, it has changed very little. The game is known for its fast pace and exciting tournaments. The ball, or pelota, has been clocked at speeds of over 180 mph. According to The Guinness Book of World Records, Jose Ramon Areitio threw the fastest ball ever. It was clocked at 188 mph on Friday, August 3, 1979 at Newport Jai Alai in Rhode Island.

Jai alai is a very distinctive sport which requires its own special equipment. The cesta, a Spanish word for basket, is the long, curved basket a player uses to catch and throw the pelota and is hand-woven specifically for each individual player. The wicker basket is made from reeds found exclusively in the Pyrenees Mountain and the frame is made of steam bent Chestnut.

The pelota is the hardest ball of any sport. It is roughly 3/4 the size of a baseball and is harder than a rock. The core consists of Brazilian virgin de pola rubber, is layered with nylon and hand-stitched with two goat skin covers. The pelota, on average, has a court life of about 20 minutes before the cover splits due to the high velocities at which it hits the wall during play.

Jai alai is played on a special court called a cancha. The cancha has three walls that are made out of granite because it is the only material that can withstand the impact of the pelota. Although there is no standard size cancha, most are 172 feet long(about half the length of a football field) 40 feet high and 40 feet wide. The cancha has three walls and a wire screen forms the fourth wall so spectators may safely view the games.

The rules of jai alai are similar to those followed in tennis and raquetball. All games start with a serve which must land in a certain lined area of the cancha (between the 4 and the 7 line). The receiving player must catch the pelota in the air or on the first bounce, then return it to the wall in one continuous motion. The player cannot stop the motion of or hold the pelota. The players continue to volley until the pelota is missed or goes out of bounds. There are three judges, or referees, on the cancha to enforce these rules (One on the 4 line, the senior judge on the 7 line and the other judge on the 11 line).

The quiniela matches have eight post positions where post one and two play against each other every time. The winner of the point stays on the court and the loser goes to the end of the line. After everyone plays their first point (End of the first round), The points are double (each point counts for 2). This round robin scoring format continues until points in the game reach seven. Jai alai has both double and single matches with the rules remaining the same regardless of the type of competition. The partido matches' rules remain the same with the only difference being that their are two teams instead of 8 and the point goal is 25, 30 or 35 instead of seven.

Jai alai is a very difficult sport to master. Training for this sport begins between the ages of eight and ten years old and continues for years before the individual can become a professional jai alai player.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 18, 2002 11:03     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow! It is too early for this deep of a read!
Hey post what you want in here,
but at least end it with a song...
like:

Napalm Death - The Infiltraitor
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

...the neighbors are DEAD

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 18, 2002 11:09     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dead are they? With:

DARKTHRONE - Weakling Avenger

the neighbours will rise from their graves, then pack it up and leave.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 18, 2002 13:07     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tangento, you don't have to read the whole thing, there's no test. But anway, I'm listening to Martyr Extracting the Core -Live 2001 which showed up on my desk this morning. It has some cool multimedia, video and stuff. (this is Dan Mongrain's Martyr - http://welcome.to/martyr - not this Christian Rock Marytr http://www.geocities.com/martyrband/index.html )
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 18, 2002 13:33     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Play this fucker really loud:

Darkane - Innocence Gone

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 18, 2002 15:38     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
Dead are they? With:

DARKTHRONE - Weakling Avenger

the neighbours will rise from their graves, then pack it up and leave.

Oh, man I laughed hard. Good one. Weakling Avenger. ROFLMAO
I picture my scrawny neighbor attempting to rise from the Abyssmal Depths, but his knees are too weak. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
I have never heard this. I will seek it out.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted October 19, 2002 01:13     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Väinämöinen:

Hey Nuclear I., I also seem to forget Testament! The Gathering is a real killer album! It HAS to be played at over 120dB!

...I need a new stereo before I try that! Let's not forget cranking the shit out of really good headphones might not kill the neighbors, but it can definitely kill YOU! DNR-Do Not Resuscitate:Let me fucking DIE!
haha I'm still waiting for Testament's website /SITE/ to get up and running...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 19, 2002 06:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
TESTAMENT: DNR, Apocalyptic City, The Preacher, Ride...I could go on, and on, and on.
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted October 21, 2002 02:52     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
WoW!! 189 mph?!? Thanks for that article, Noitall! I'll have to follow your advice and get to Miami as soon as I stop getting poorer

Hey N. Infusion & schroeder, I went to see Testament on their "Gathering" tour and they were awesome! They played in a club in Helsinki to an audience of about 300-350, and everybody just went nuts The weather was also suitable for the gig, as it was pitch dark, there was hard winds from the north and snow came in as it would never stop! Really apocalyptic \m/

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 21, 2002 08:24     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I missed a day so here are two:

Requiem - Killing Joke -in honor of bassist Raven, who's wife just gave birth to a baby boy, Liam... New KJ is on the WAY, too..
CRANK THAT FUCKER UP WWWHHHOOOOOOAAAA!!!

and what the fuck...

Pre-Ignition - Voi-FUCKING-VOD
AND I mean LOUD!!!!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 21, 2002 11:06     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tangento:
I have never heard (Darkthrone). I will seek it out.

The song is on their "Plaguewielder" album. I must say I always loved the way they mix the well known Norwegian Black Metal with their massive Celtic Frost influences. Anyway, let's cut the crap, the thing smokes!

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted October 21, 2002 13:22     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Today, I'll go with 'LOSS FOR WORDS' by Corrosion of Conformity. Crank It!
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 25, 2002 01:23     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This thread will NOT be buried!

Sepultura's version of the
Dead Kennedys'
DRUG!!! ...ME!!

DESTRUCTION - The Final Curtain
CRANK THE FUCKER!!

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 25, 2002 02:30     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Iced Earth - Desert Rain

Night Of The Stormrider is my fave IE album, followed very closely by Something Wicked This Way Comes, and Burnt Offerings. Great band for those who dig traditional metal/melodic thrash.
Fuckin' crank it up!!!!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan