my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Football (soccer?) season!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Football (soccer?) season!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 11, 2002 10:21     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Since there are surely many fans of football (soccer, for the US people) here, and the World Cup thread let me not lie alone, this is an attempt on challenging the infamous (and often visited, I must admit) hockey thread!

So, we have all the European Championships startin', the Brazilian Championship is on the first half. Any highlights?

Real Madrid is a serious contender in Europe, with their megastellar team of Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo, Figo, Zidane, Raul... Damn!

Here in Brazil, my glorious São Paulo F.C. is always on the top of the list, even more now that we have some World Cup Champions with us (Kaká, Ricardinho, Rogério Ceni...). Heading for Tokyo! Real Madrid, wait for us!

Make your bets! Football (soccer?) season is open!

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 11, 2002 10:30     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh good-grief!

I bet H will jump all over this one!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 11, 2002 10:45     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fucking right I will! The beautiful game. Ahhh... small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts, nutmeg? I should co-co. Bobby dancing? It's coming home, you know.
Unfortuately I think Arsenal are gonna walk away with the English title this year. They'll make the semi-final's in Europe too... beyond that, if they're in top gear, they'll win the fucking lot. Bastards! They look unstopable right now.
As for my boys.... well, I inherited the joy of being a Newcastle United supporter from my auld fella, and our European dream is on it's last legs! Oh well... there's always beer.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 11, 2002 10:47     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh - and thanks Brazil for stuffing the Germans! Just don't mention the quarter final!
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 11, 2002 10:57     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Oh - and thanks Brazil for stuffing the Germans! Just don't mention the quarter final!

You're welcome. On the other hand, I wonder why you would not like me to mention the quarter finals...

Take it in a positive way: at least Beckham had the opportunity of keeping Ronaldo's shirt! Imagine the value of a champion's shirt in the future!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 11, 2002 11:45     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Are you suggesting that he'll never have one of his own?
Yeah... good point!

Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted October 11, 2002 20:12     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My son Charlie has 6 goals so far for
the red team in the local 4-5-6 year old
league. Personally, I've learned a lot
about the game from watching the little
ones this season. I think I will have a
shot at watching the big boys when I
can find it on TV. Hopefully it comes
on when hockey isn't on because I
always watch the Thrashers.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 12, 2002 12:05     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Layla's Dad:
My son Charlie has 6 goals so far for
the red team in the local 4-5-6 year old
league. Personally, I've learned a lot
about the game from watching the little
ones this season. I think I will have a
shot at watching the big boys when I
can find it on TV. Hopefully it comes
on when hockey isn't on because I
always watch the Thrashers.

After you see a football (soccer?) match, you will regret your wasted time on hockey...

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 12, 2002 18:11     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slaytanic :
After you see a football (soccer?) match, you will regret your wasted time on hockey...

WTF!????

I would like to see YOU on the Ice, Slaytanic!
Time for a King-sized Kula Cross-Check into the Wall with you as the Target!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 14, 2002 05:09     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
With all that padding and a helmet? Piece of piss mate! Now let's see you out on the freezing boggy marshes on a sunday morning in a pair of shorts (like Away's red one's *still shudders*) avoiding the 2-footed challenges of leg snapping doom!
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted October 14, 2002 05:41     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAHAHAHaah! You got a point there h!

...but hockey's still number one for me!! It's fun to watch a good soccer game (esp the World Cup), but nothing beats the excitement of a good hockey game!

BTW, my view of the world is very Canadian. Finland is also "a country of hockey and booze" as someone once said of Canada!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 16, 2002 23:20     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula Shaker:
WTF!????

I would like to see YOU on the Ice, Slaytanic!
Time for a King-sized Kula Cross-Check into the Wall with you as the Target!

I would like to see YOU, Kula, in the middle of a Brazilian match of, say, Grêmio vs. Flamengo.

"Kick that ball away!!!"
"But... But the ball is already unreachable!"
"Well... Kick that leg away then!!!"

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 16, 2002 23:31     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, even the football fans are tough, let alone the players. If you want a gruesome book to read pick up Bill Buford's "Among the Thugs" (one of my favourites actually). And I just read that two English fans were shot in Slovakia at the Euro 2004 match.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 17, 2002 05:28     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, that whole Slovakia thing was a bit nuts. There was loads of crowd trouble and a big fuss has been made about racist abuse being hurled at the black England players. All fucking stupid shit really.
But I don't wanna talk about football this morning. Last night England drew with.. can't bring myself to say it.... arrrgghhhh...... Macedonia. For fucks sake.
I'm gonna go support Wales!!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 17, 2002 10:11     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
Last night England drew with.. can't bring myself to say it.... arrrgghhhh...... Macedonia. For fucks sake.

Yes. Seaman is suffering from a disease we call "the Ronaldinho syndrome" here...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 17, 2002 10:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Hey, even the football fans are tough, let alone the players. If you want a gruesome book to read pick up Bill Buford's "Among the Thugs" (one of my favourites actually). And I just read that two English fans were shot in Slovakia at the Euro 2004 match.

Yes, that's a shame. We have some terrible histories of violence here too, just like the infamous "Pacaembu war", at a Juniors Championship final match, São Paulo vs. Palmeiras. The thing is, I was watching the game at home and, all of a sudden, that terrible riot started. It reminded me of that famous hooligan riot at a UEFA Champions League final, I think. Juventus vs. I don't remember which English team, I think it was Arsenal, or something.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan