my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » The "Doors" are open?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "Doors" are open?
BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 10, 2002 21:13     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone told me that The Doors are re-uniting as a new band with Ian Astbury on vox, and Stewart Copeland on drums. I guess John Densmore has some "arthritic" condition, so he can't do the drum duties? Also, according to Ray Manzarek, this isn't going to be some kind of "Door's" tribute band, and that they plan on releasing new material! WTF??? I admit that Ian sounds a lot like Jim, but this is kinda "pushing" the envelope just a tad bit don't ya think? So does anyone Know if all of this is true or not? I didn't really find anything on their official site about this.
 |  IP: Logged
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted October 10, 2002 22:42     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I heard about Ian singing but I havent heard anything about Stuart. Ive no idea why they are doing this and to top it all off, new material under the name, "The Doors"??? The Doors ended when Morrison died in my opinion, let it rest. I can understand wanting to make new Music but at least pick a new name or something. About a year or so ago the living members of The Doors did something on TV with a few singers and that guy from creed (the absolute worst band in history) sang a song with them and I refused to watch it but I am sure it just totally sucked, Id bet my life on it. I happen to love The Doors and think they are one of the greatest bands ever but this whole "The Doors" touring thing is just silly. Let it rest and move on.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 10, 2002 23:00     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here ya go fellas... from Blabbermouth.net....
quote:
THE CULT Frontman Named 'Permanent' Member Of THE DOORS - Sep. 10, 2002

THE CULT frontman Ian Astbury and former POLICE drummer Stewart Copeland have "permanently" joined THE DOORS and will record new music with the group during 2003, keyboardist Ray Manzarek told Billboard.com. "Stewart is drumming from here on out. Ian is singing from here on out. We're not doing a TV show. We're playing live music. This is the new DOORS lineup for the 21st century," Manzarek said.
A North American/European tour is also in the works for next year, and while Manzarek says it is too early to predict how extensive the jaunt may be, he promises it "will definitely not be 60 cities." THE DOORS will perform at Molson Park in Barrie, Ontario, just outside of Toronto, on September 29th.

Another legacy about to become soiled! I'm with you Imran! They should at least change the name! And what the hell is Stuart Copeland doing?

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 11, 2002 08:45     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes. I agree with Imran as well!

Pick a different Name!!

BTW...Good to see you back Imran!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 11, 2002 10:00     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry guys, but I don't like the Doors at all, they were always second-rate for me. Morrison's death was the luckiest thing that could have ever happened to them. Anyway, I totally agree with you guys, they should let their small legacy untouched.

At least the member picks are interesting... I heard they were planning on having Eddie Veder on vocals. Imagine that... Stewart is/was/will always be a drum master. Luck for them!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 11, 2002 21:29     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really enjoyed the VH1 Doors special, and I thought it was great to hear the different singers jam with the living legends. I'm not a Creed fan but Stapp sounded good, the guy from Days of the New was awesome...but noone touched the performance Eddie Vedder put in when the played for their induction to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame...that my friends was like Eddie channeling Morrison and was INCREDIBLE.

The Doors continuing without Morrison is like Sabbath continuing without Ozzy or Deep Purple without Gillan or Voivod without Snake or Iron Maiden without Dickenson

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 11, 2002 23:41     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Schroeder poseted:
The Doors continuing without Morrison is like Sabbath continuing without Ozzy or Deep Purple without Gillan or Voivod without Snake or Iron Maiden without Dickenson

I agree! But this is even worse! Black Sabbath managed to put out some decent material with Dio and I even like the Born Again album! In addition both Deep Purple & Iron Maiden did some excellent work before Gillian and Dickinson come into the bands, respectively...

Although The Doors were a great band, Morrison was the binding force that gave them focus, a purpose if you will, much through the power of his personality and energy! Something, whatever it was, is gone now and I will take no part in this 'reunion' if that what it is to be.

Blah blah blah! I sound like a fuckin' music critic! I hate talking about The Doors!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 12, 2002 00:01     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by X-D:

Although The Doors were a great band, Morrison was the binding force that gave them focus, a purpose if you will, much through the power of his personality and energy!

Hey X-D!!!

I totally agree with you 100%, but to add something else onto that...IMHO...if you were to take "any" of the original members away from the doors...it wouldn't work. They were a quartet that so rarely "clicked" as much as they did when they "jammed" together...simply MESMERIZING at times!!! Otherwise, they would've been just another mediocre band.

Ray Manzarek is a fucking nut!!! Ill never understand his "left hand-right hand" coordination!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 12, 2002 12:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was just kinda joking about the other bands continuing on with different singers, since they weren't like the DOORS in the fact that Morrison was such a focal point in the band abd the bands I listed were more of a group than people behind the singer. I am curious to hear what the new DOORS sound like...could be interesting.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 12, 2002 13:47     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree Shroeder. Has anyone ever heard any of Krieger's solo work. I've read good reviews on them.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 12, 2002 18:03     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Black Sabbath - Born Again album is my Favorite one!
Ian Gilliam was GREAT with Sabbath!
That song 'Trashed' is actually about BTCC Racing at the Brands Hatch Circuit in England. I think i will add that song to the LOUD Thread.

Doors without 2 of the Doors is only a half-a-Door!
It just aint right!

BlackCloud
VoivodFan
Member # 122

posted October 13, 2002 01:32     Profile for BlackCloud   Email BlackCloud     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula Shaker:
Doors without 2 of the Doors is only a half-a-Door!
It just aint right!

Agreed!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 13, 2002 06:00     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I LOVED SABBATH WITH GILLAN, but than again GILLAN is just a GOD with every band he's been in. The only Gillan stuff that I don't enjoy too much is some of his newer solo work that sounds like 'island vacation music'. The Ian Gillan Band was great, GILLAN put out lots of great albums, DEEP PURPLE should not be Deep Purple without Gillan (even though they started out without him, Gillan and Glover are more DP than Blackmore...IMHO)

Without Densmore and Morrison, it should not be called The Doors, but then look what Iommi did with Sabbath!!!! I guess Manzerek feels the name is is his, since he started the band.

I have one of Krieger's cds, he's a damn good player but I'm not sure if a lot of people from this forum would enjoy it, besides you Mezcal, I don't paly it very often...maybe today!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 14, 2002 09:32     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The winner of the English 'pop idol' tv show had a number 1 hit with a fucking unholy cover of that song. That makes me sick.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan