my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » News Flash - say hi to The Multiverse! (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Author Topic: News Flash - say hi to The Multiverse!
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 08, 2002 21:06     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This's from Blabbermouth...

VOIVOD To Issue 'The Multiverse' In March - Oct. 8, 2002

VOIVOD have set The Multiverse as the title of their 13th studio album, which is scheduled to be recorded and mixed at The Plant in Sausalito, CA from October 13 through November 13, 2002.

Former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted has officially confirmed his role as the group's latest addition alongside original VOIVOD vocalist Snake (a.k.a. Denis Belanger), guitarist Piggy (a.k.a. Denis D'Amour), and drummer Away (a.k.a. Michel Langevin). Jasonic (Newsted's new given moniker) will also serve as producer for the metal legends' upcoming release on the Chophouse Records label (in association with Surfdog Records).

Longtime friends and pioneers of metal music, the four musicians first began working together at Newsted's Chophouse studio in 1995, intent on keeping the music alive between busy touring schedules. However, with his recent departure from METALLICA in January 2001, Newsted was free to work on a myriad of projects, which could now be more than just hobbies.

Commented Newsted: "Those who know VOIVOD respect VOIVOD around the globe! This is the new beginning for all of us. We're the same age, raised on the same music. We've been through a lot of similar situations. All four of us are having such a good time writing our metal music together, in one room — bashing it out, it's real again!!"

The Multiverse is tentatively due to be issued on March 4th, 2003.

In other news, contrary to previous reports, VOIVOD will NOT be touring North America during January/February as part of a five-band package also featuring NILE, NAPALM DEATH, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD and THE BERZERKER. Instead, the quartet are planning on embarking on a headlining tour of the U.S. and Europe shortly following the album's release.
-------------------------------------

Did i just read that they dropped off the tour? (or werent in it in the first place, same difference) I really shouldve started to take bets when i said they'd drop off the tour soon (tho Notiall did put a 10$ down i think, did you, dear?). Sorry for you guys in the states who wanted to see them in january. I just knew it was too good to be true. I hate to say "told ya so", but, i told ya so.

|  IP: Logged
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 08, 2002 23:43     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Multiverse? Cool. Reminds me of the Micronauts.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 09, 2002 05:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd rather see a Voivod headline show anyway. And besides, that tour was coming nowhere near me!!!
Thanks for the news, Skul.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 09, 2002 05:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In other news, contrary to previous reports, VOIVOD will NOT be touring North America during January/February as part of a five-band package also featuring NILE, NAPALM DEATH, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD and THE BERZERKER.

ONCE AGAIN NO IT ALLHAD THE INSIDE STORY ON THIS AND TOLD EVERYONE THAT VOIVOD WOULD NOT BE PLAYING THIS TOUR!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 09, 2002 06:14     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, we should have seen this coming. Well, some of us did. Multiverse, hmmm...has to do with universe perhaps...I wonder about this concept...Should be interesting....
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted October 09, 2002 06:50     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the newsflash, Skul! I wonder if this is going to come up on the "official" site before the CD is out?

Somehow I get a tickling feeling about the new record...I think it's close to what I felt as a kid when I was waiting for Santa! I sure hope all goes well with the future tours, CD sales etc. No more car accidents, tumors, disastrous internal conflicts etc. please!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 09, 2002 08:13     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No Jan tour???

*King Kula sits in shock*

(How dare i question the lovely Noitall.)

Its 7:am and i already need a beer.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 09, 2002 08:57     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, Skul...thanks for posting that News.

You da Man!

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 09, 2002 09:31     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yah, definately, the biggest news is that Jason's now an official member. And please dont thank me for the news... both Chophouse and Blabbermouth have that story up, it's not like I wrote that press release, y'know.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 09, 2002 09:33     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think you hit the nail on the head there 'Corpse. That's exactly what I thought when I read it. The only thing I didn't like about Jason joining was the kinda part-time idea. It sounds like they've decided all or nothing, which can only be better for the band. I continue to look forward to what should be an amazing album.
Pup
VoivodFan
Member # 124

posted October 09, 2002 09:53     Profile for Pup   Email Pup     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
time will tell, that's all I'm saying.

I really hope it's a return to the grind rather than the existential.

Jason, you were good in Flotsam, you kicked ass in 'Tallica, and I'm sure you'll be bitchin in 'vod.

Good luck man - cant wait

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 09, 2002 10:54     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You said bitchin. heh.

Schroeder I don't have an inside scoop, just using the grey matter between my ears.

Va¢ärmeS
VoivodFan
Member # 47

posted October 09, 2002 11:31     Profile for Va¢ärmeS   Email Va¢ärmeS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I'm not sure it's a good move for Voivod to release the album on Chophouse Records label in association with Surfdog Records.
I'd expect a real metal label with major distribution like Century Media or else. But Surfdog!!!
What kind of distribution and promotion can we expect? Does anyone already hear about them?, their roster?
The futur will tell...

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 09, 2002 11:42     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent point! On the flip side, maybe this is a better deal. At least with a small label they control the content and production and receive more of the profits.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 09, 2002 13:12     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, this is interesting news indeed! I suppose it makes more sense with them touring later rather than sooner, at a time when you think they'd be putting the finishing touches on the album. I too would much rather see Voivod as a headlining act rather than squeezed between a bunch of death metal. A Voivod headlining tour similiar to what Kreator has been pulling off would be most excellent! Pick one more old school thrash band and a hot new band (MASTODON!), and hit the road!

So, this announcement means Newsted is a permanent member now? Wow, that's an eyebrow raiser! That must mean that the chemistry during pre-production sessions was good! Which is obviously good for all of us! My anticipation grows!

Don't know much about the Surfdog connection except that it seems to be Newsted's distro hookup as he used them for the Echobrain release... which is everywhere! I notice the Butthole Surfers are on their roster too, which isn't a bad sign.

I think Hexonxonx is right on the money about these ever growing metal labels such as Century Media. I've been hearing fucked up stories about band's dealings with Century Media, Earache, Sanctuary, and Roadrunner... all labels that are starting to see dollar signs as a driving force instead of artistic integrity.
Voivod just needs good distrubution, publicity, and tour support! No artistic or directional guidence needed!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 10, 2002 06:29     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought this was great. Made the top new stories in Rolling Stone:
Newsted Joins Voivod

Former Metallica bassist lands new gig

Metalman

Add to Favorites!

Email this story
Printer friendly version

Former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted has officially joined Canadian metal stalwarts Voivod and will play on and produce the band's next record.
Since leaving Metallica in January 2001 for "private and personal reasons, and the physical damage I've done to myself over the years while playing the music I love," Newsted has busied himself with an array of projects including EchoBrain, a group that began performing in 2001 and released a self-titled album earlier this year. He also produced Second Sight, the third album by Texas hard rockers, Speedealer. Newsted's relationship with Voivod started in 1995, and he had done some writing for the band previously.

After fourteen years as the "new guy" in Metallica, Newsted has already earned his Voivod nickname -- "Jasonic" -- joining singer Denis "Snake" Belanger, guitarist Denis "Piggy" D'Amour and drummer Michael "Away" Langevin. The group has pulled together an unlucky thirteen tracks to record for their thirteenth album, The Multiverse, which they will begin recording next week and into November. A spring 2003 release is planned on Newsted's Chophouse Records (through Surfdog Records).

"This is the new beginning for all of us," Newsted said. "We're the same age, raised on the same music. We've been through a lot of similar situations. All four of us are having such a good time writing our metal music together, in one room -- bashing it out, it's real again!"

ANDREW DANSBY

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted October 10, 2002 08:15     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"It's real again"...

These few words grow my anticipation for the new record like never before.

To me, "real again" refers to the glorious era of KT and DH.

Whaddia'll say?

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted October 10, 2002 08:23     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think by "It's real again" he just means he doenst have to go thru lawyers to know if he has to play an E or a G.
heh.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 10, 2002 08:46     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another classic Skulhed one-liner!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 10, 2002 13:01     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gonna have to say it's always been real for Voivod. As for Newsted, I imagine he was feeling more than a little disapointed with his situation in Metallica. For him, this has gotta feel great!
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted October 10, 2002 13:09     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm happy that the band is comfortable enough with him to make him a permanant menber, as I think they really need the cohesion to put forth an album that will exceed even their own expectations, but I guess I'm still stuck in the past. The news of Jason's permanancy has closed a door I was hoping was still slightly ajar...
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted October 10, 2002 13:28     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's cool that Newsted is now a permanent member of voivod . Away , Snake and Piggy must know what is REALLY good for em , IMO they don't like selfish peoples ( oh oh ! ) , that's why they took Jason i guess but ...

But yes , i admit that i would have like to see Vince Peake ( from the band Groovy Aardvark ) instead of Jason , so the band would have been 100% from Quebec . Vince is a VERY good composer and bassist , this would have been cool to hear the results but looks like Away , Snake and Piggy are pissed off to be unknown ( and poor ) with all the talent they have .

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 10, 2002 15:26     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Am I the only one wondering if JN's permanent status really means this is the last record?
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted October 10, 2002 15:43     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IMO , i don't think so Noitall . you're too much pessimist
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 10, 2002 15:57     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
Am I the only one wondering if JN's permanent status really means this is the last record?

What???

Why?

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan