my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Meshuggah

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meshuggah
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 08, 2002 20:11     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey all! What do you guys think of Meshuggah? I saw them last week with Tool and was fairly impressed, although I didn't think they belonged in an arena setting (or Tool either for that matter), but I like weird, dischordant, and oftentimes technical metal, hence the Voivod obsession...

What I guess I'm asking is what do you guys think of 'em? Also, granted you are into them, what's a good album to start with? And finally, are there other, perhaps better bands emerging in this sub-genre worth checking out?

Warcorpse, Gloomp, Nate, anybody?

|  IP: Logged
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 08, 2002 20:40     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like em'.
At times, they seem to be trying a bit too hard in terms of the math-rock deal, but I am a sucker for the off-kilter arrangements, rude meters, and grinding metal chaos. Their website has some samples of each release, plus great avant-metal solo shit from Guitarist Frederik Thorendal:
http://www.meshuggah.net/

I believe there is a new one on the way or here already, but have not heard it yet.

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted October 08, 2002 22:06     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aye! I think you'll dig the earlier stuff as well Chaosphere ('98). I'd say start off with Destroy Erase Improve ('95) and then the None EP ('94). To me, both these have stronger tunes. Chaosphere is just that. Completely over the top front to back and the last tune (bonus track, I guess) is every fucking song on the album played at the same time. Madness!
I'm still waffling on the newest Nothing album. The songs just don't move me like the earlier material but that could just be me. I was talking to a friend the other day about Nothing and he had just bought it and he hated it. I didn't know they had fired their bass player either. They claim they didn't need a bass player anymore so there is no bass on this new album. 8 string guitar's leave little room for the bottom end, eh?

Anyone else here heard Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within album? It still blows my mind how insane this album is. Get this one too, X-D.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 08, 2002 23:15     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like their earlier stuff better. Nothing is a good record, but Destroy, Erase, Improve is just fucking amazing.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 09, 2002 13:48     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'll start off with Destroy Erase Improve or Chaosphere (whichever I come accross first), then move through the other releases... most likely saving Nothing for last. No bass player?! I dunno...

Greg, I just read some reviews of the Thordendal's Special Defects album and it sounds cool as hell! Looks like I need to check out that one for sure! Damn, I need a higher paying job!

Have any of you guys heard much of Spaceboy? I've been reading about them too and they been getting compared a little bit to Voivod, Meshuggah, King Crimson, Neurosis, etc. Heard some samples and this shit sounds cool too!

Gerfat
VoivodFan
Member # 45

posted October 09, 2002 18:53     Profile for Gerfat   Email Gerfat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey X-D, I highly recommend you to check first "Destroy, Erase, Improve", and then move onto the others... You can even check their first album that was more into the Metallica/Testament vein... I think they're doing something new, very interesting and weird!!!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan