my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Priest advice (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Priest advice
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 11, 2002 08:20     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, maybe I was a little harsh on Dave Holland - but the only record on which he really shines is 'Point Of Entry' - since it is more laid back and has a shuffle-feel to a lot of the tracks. Bear in mind he was in Trapeze with Glen Hughes before, who I always thought of as a soul singer.

Maybe the drums are the only inspiring thing about Point Of Entry...

I still think Cozy Powell would have been fucking awesome in Priest.

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 11, 2002 08:33     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'Desert Plains' from Point of Entry...is one of my Favorite Priest songs! Its so smooth & cool!
I always get the Image of Halford riding across the Desert on his Harley. (Or was that the Video?)

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 11, 2002 09:07     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm also one of those who never got the whole priest thing. Sacrilege, I know. All the other guys in my band are massive priest fans, so I've jammed a couple of junes, just for fun, like Electric Eye and Hell Bent for Trevor (or whatever it's called). But I've always found them a bit naff. Maybe I just haven't heard the right stuff.
And I can't believe that Halford's coming out of the closet surprised anyone!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 11, 2002 10:04     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by h:
(...)And I can't believe that Halford's coming out of the closet surprised anyone!

Neither can anybody else...

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 11, 2002 10:07     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:

I have to disagree with you there. Judas Priest invented power metal. Exciter and Let Us Pray are the first power metal songs. If it wasn't for those tunes (and for Priest in general) Helloween and all the rest wouldn't exist! I would even say that most of the Ram It Down album is power metal.

I always saw Priest more as co-inventors of thrash, together with Motörthead and maybe Venom...

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted October 11, 2002 10:10     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always saw Helloween as more of a Maiden-wannabe band myself.
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 11, 2002 10:52     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I always saw Venom as three Geordie fuckwits who took the piss and got away with it.
NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted October 16, 2002 10:06     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A Priest thread!

One of the few metal bands that I still find listenable - bar the obvious exceptions.
My fave album album being "Unleashed" - what a record. Amazing.
For those who aren't sure about the sound - you have to remember that Priest were carving out a new sound/image that has become institutionalised. (Some credit Accept with the first "metal" album, but I don't know the timing precisely.)
Priest took the style Sabbath pretty much invented and within the space of three albums had given it a new adrenalised, aggressive and broader sound (maybe not "bigger" though. ).

To me "British Steel" is pretty much THE album that suddenly defined what metal actually is/was in the public's conciousness.
I think the same could be said for Slayer's "Reign in Blood".
Both of those albums have been consistantly studied/exploited and defined a sound that still remains today.
All else comes afterwards, in it's wake.

On a side note, Rob Halford is one of the few metal vocalists who can actually write half-decent lyrics. Lyrics that scan and flow cleverly through the song. It's a shame no one takes the lyrics themselves seriously probably as they're predominantly fantasy imagery is "un-intellectual" or summat.

satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted October 16, 2002 10:14     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Halford's Lyrics.

Grinder...Looking for Meat
Grinder...Wants you to eat!

lol!

I always found that song funny. Love it though!

I thought that Led Zepplin or Deep Purple
has the first elements of Metal.
Just like The Who were REALLY the first Punk Band.
(My own mis-guided opinion.)

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted October 16, 2002 10:32     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Christ, yes.
I guess that's one of the things people don't like about them, they're camper than Queen's lyrics at times.
That "joke" was overused at times though.

My personal favourite is:

"Wielding the axe
Comes the one culmination
That's always seemed
Certain to bring down the curtain on greed

Sifting the good from the bad
It's the age for the rage of the
Dogs which must fall to the just
And be free

Now grate for the vandals
Who trampled and sampled
Till this place conditioned
Brought forth demolition to war

The slipping and sliding
Corrosive subsiding
That withered and waned
Till the world seemed all drained
Fills the bay"

From "Rapid Fire". It doesn't really mean anything but it sounds sooooo good from Halford.

quote:
Originally posted by satan:
Halford's Lyrics.

Grinder...Looking for Meat
Grinder...Wants you to eat!

lol!

I always found that song funny. Love it though!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 16, 2002 10:35     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whilst the lyrics from Ram It Down crumble under scrutiny, the ones on Crucible are excellent!

And just a quick glance at post-Halford Priest lyrics confirms where the best words came from. Tipton is a genius on the plank but his lyrics suck.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted October 16, 2002 10:40     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree, but Sabbath are generally seen as the band who took it to it's next illogical
movement. Would you believe "The Moody Blues"
are sometimes mentioned in the same converversation? Their earliest stuff is VERY different.

If you listen to early Priest you can hear the almost Prog-ish beginnings, same with Sabbath and Zep. It's amazing how quickly they defined that sound. I've alway thought "Sad Wings" with modern production would pass as one of todays Prog-metal efforts. Though with that sort of revisionism you could claim just about anything!

Mind you I've always thought Crimson's "red" sounds like posh Black Sabbath.

quote:
Originally posted by satan:
Halford's Lyrics.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted October 16, 2002 10:44     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Agreed. But let's not mention Post-Halford Priest. Sigh....
I'm sure that Tipton wrote lyrics in the early days? Weren't "The Ripper" and "Hell bent" his?
Rubbish, but somehow genius'rubbish.

quote:
Originally posted by Emlyn K Helicopter:
Whilst the lyrics from Ram It Down crumble under scrutiny, the ones on Crucible are excellent!

And just a quick glance at post-Halford Priest lyrics confirms where the best words came from. Tipton is a genius on the plank but his lyrics suck.

satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted October 16, 2002 11:03     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this a GAY song, or what?
When listening to it...the Lyrics sound like he's at a Gay Bar.
Now that i've read them for the first time...
i just dont know what to think!

Judas Priest
Sin After Sin (1977)
Raw Deal

I made a spike about nine o'clock on a Saturday
All eyes hit me as I walked into the door
Then ??? and then the guys were fooling in the demin dudes
A couple cards played rough stuff, New York, fire island

I cased the joint, straining at the scenes

I moseyed up to the counter and the tender came a-grinnin'
I snapped the smile off his face and scowled 'Give me a bourbon'
The mirror on the wall was collecting and reflecting
All the heavy bodies ducking, stealing eager for some action
The scene screwed me up, I saw some contact
Then the big boys, saw me and knew that

I'd had too much, floating around
Statues alive, seconds are hours

Sacks like a hurricane, wrapped in and shattered
I was barely holding on to this flying body symphony
I guess I dream in pictures, not colors
The true free expression I demand is human rights - right

I gave my life, I am immortal

I'm going, no loss
I'm going, no loss
I'm going, no loss
I'm going, no loss

Nightmare, just a bunch of goddamn, rotten, steaming, raw
Deal

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted October 16, 2002 11:17     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yep.

I'm glad you mentioned Raw Deal. It was gayer than "Frankie goes to Hollywood". Not bad given it's a lot older and indeed a lot better than stuff like that.

Was ANYONE seprised at Rob being Gay?
Other than all those homophobic cretins who
floated to the surface of chatrooms for a while afterwards.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 16, 2002 18:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Sacks like a Hurricane"

haw haw haw....

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 16, 2002 18:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Halford admitted that song was about being gay, when he 'came out'. He told the fans to go back and read some of his lyrics for the clues...that song in paticular.

I wasn't surprised when he came out, I had heard rumours from a local band that had met Rob years ago. I also couldn't give a shit what he is sexually...he's still one of the finest singers in metal who can still 'Deliver the Goods'.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 16, 2002 18:33     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, no, I particularly don't think Rob surprised anyone when he came out as being gay.

'Bout that, KK Downing once said (at MTV): "that must have been the worst kept secret in the history of rock'n'roll"!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 16, 2002 18:58     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey...dont get me wrong folks.
I (Satan) dont care about Rob being Gay at all.
I just remembered that song and wanted to clarify what i had wondered about for years...with my friends here at the forum.

Judas Priest are Killer, no matter what.
Halford has got some great stuff too.

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted October 16, 2002 20:06     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a big fan of all Priest that features Rob Halford.

But their best work IMO was in the 70s.

Sad Wings of Destiny
Sin After Sin
Stained Class

That's the classic Priest. Simon Phillips' drumming on Sin After Sin is unlike any other metal drumming I've ever heard. Genius.

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted October 17, 2002 05:58     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nate, true what you say about Simon Phillips.
it was the best drumming they ever had, they did ask him to join the group, but he declined...
To think how good Priest would have been with a drummer of that quality.
I think that's an insight into why their earlier albums are more powerful musically than later ones - the rhythm section was so much more creative.
Later albums sounded much more pedestrian in that area - like the enormous energyu Glenn and KK created between them was just that; theirs. Despite a fairly pedestrian backing.

I think that's why Sabbath never recovered from losing their "Jazz" drummer Bill Ward.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 17, 2002 10:23     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You guys are speaking so much 'bout Simon Philipps that I grabbed my Sin After Sin CD for work today, it's been a while since I last heard it.

Simon surely is a monster of a drummer, but they ended up finding another monster, Les Binks, the second best Priest drummer for me (after Scott Travis - stone me for that). I wonder if HE left the band after UIE. Or was he booted?

NightSod
VoivodFan
Member # 133

posted October 17, 2002 11:52     Profile for NightSod   Email NightSod     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember reading that they let him go because live he was inconsistent live.

'Tis a shame cause he WAS another great drummer - and he wrote the music for "Beyond the Realms of Death"!

Scott revitalised the band MASSIVELY.

satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted October 17, 2002 20:02     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would have to agree with Hex there.

As a Drummer, i think its cool the way Simon uses the 'China-Type' throughout the CD.
All the HH and Cymbal-work on the Album are GREAT!
Hell! Its all good!

Just listen to what he does on 'Starbreaker' alone!
Smooth!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 18, 2002 10:35     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BumEggs:
Scott revitalised the band MASSIVELY.

A yet to be matched definition. Simon is a great drummer, hands down, but too jazzy for what Judas Priest had become in the subsequent years. And I think it's safe to quote that, besides being a superb album, "Sin After Sin" is not a definition of the vintage Priest sound, which only started to take shape on Stained Class (criminally forgotten here, BTW).

Next one you guys are voting for Neil Peart to fill the vacant spot for the Ramones! Imagine Neil Ramone...

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan