my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Priest advice (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: Priest advice
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 08, 2002 19:46     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've never been a Priest fan but the way you people rave about them I figured I should check them out. Kula suggested Screaming for Vengence. Is this where I should start? I can get that right now on half.com for four bucks.
 |  IP: Logged
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 08, 2002 19:59     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Best of luck Mezcal. I too never really got into the Judas Priest school of metal. I actually own a number of JP albums on vinyl, but they never quite did it for me. Too straightforward, or not weird enough for me I suppose...

I've also been told Painkiller is a 'must have' album too. Haven't checked that one out yet so I reserve my final judgement until then.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 08, 2002 20:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, if you're like me go for the early releases:
SAD WINGS OF DESTINY
SIN AFTER SIN
ROCKA ROLLA (i'm playing it now...do you like it)
STAINED CLASS

all of these are prior to them writting more straight forward material...and it kicks ass!!! more thought out and deeper lyrically then what they are more well known for.
These 4 JP albums give me the same excitement as Dimension Hatross, Nothing Face, Angel Rat, and Outer Limits by Voivod...the 4 best by each band.

Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 08, 2002 21:25     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, Rocka Rolla is a bit of a stretch.
It was made before Priest realized just how METAL they really were. It's not bad, but not great either.
The other 3 are all excellent, especially "Sin After Sin", which showed some progressive elements and featured the incredible drumming prowess of Simon Phillips, a veteran of MSG, Jeff Beck and many others.
Also, don't forget:
"Hell Bent For Leather" - ('78)
and
"Unleashed in the East" - ('79) ...an album FULL of awesome live energy. Tipton and Downing were an unbeatable pair of soloists. King and Hanneman never even came close.

And then, for a bit of a departure,
"Point of Entry" - ('81)
...which showed a more polished sound, but "Solar Angels" and "Heading out to the Highway" are Priest classics.

Trust me, I saw this band 6 times in the early 80's and if you are a fan of vintage, groundbreaking metal, a predecessor to future speed metal bands, then start with
"British Steel" - ('80)
A note:
The only problem with any Priest after the live album, (Unleashed) is that Drummer Dave Holland replaced Les Binks.
Binks RIPPED, and Holland was a ham-handed hack. They did not improve on the drummer's position until much later on with "Painkiller's" Scott Travis.
So if you focus on the drumming, keep this in mind.

Hope this helps.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 08, 2002 23:13     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, a Judas Priest thread! Wicked! I'm gonna have to give my opinion on essential Priest (being the resident expert and all ), so here we go:

The must have albums:

Sad Wings Of Destiny - this album probably contains more classic metal than any other album EVER. Tyrant, Genocide, Dreamer Deciever/Deciever, The Ripper are all staples of any metal diet. This is a hard one to find on CD, especially with the tracks in THE CORRECT ORDER. Look for the vinyl if you have a turntable.

Screaming For Vengeance - this is the epitome of modern (well '80's anyway) heavy metal. This is how a heavy metal record is supposed to sound. Even the filler track (You Got Another Thing Comin') became their biggest hit ever!

Stained Class - after Sad Wings I'd say this is the best metal record of the '70's. Fuck Sabbath, this is how it's done.

Painkiller - This is the record they should have released after Defenders Of The Faith. An amazing album, with a great closer (One Shot At Glory) which seems to fortell of Rob's departure in a way.

Sin After Sin Holy shit this is a good album. Even the slightly lame Last Rose Of Summer is a good tune. Every metal fan in the world should own this album.

I know this is kinda short, but those are what I would call the "must have" Priest albums. Make sure when you get them, you get the Remasters. The bonus tracks are great and the sound is awesome.

Here's a great priest link. This site is amazing. This guy knows more about Priest than the band themselves!
http://members.firstinter.net/markster/MAIN.htm

And of course the official site is www.judaspriest.com

I hope this helps you in your quest!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 09, 2002 06:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great summary Nuc Vamp.

Rocka Rolla is a stupid title but there are some great songs on it 'Dying to Meet You' 'One For The Road' 'Never Staisfied'. It's interesting to hear how the band started. A bit psychedelic-hard rock...very cool IMHO.

Black Guard
VoivodFan
Member # 113

posted October 09, 2002 06:30     Profile for Black Guard   Email Black Guard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Judas Priest is my favourite band!

I'm telling you... take whatever you want. I love all the albums equally, each one for it's own reason, from "Rocka Rolla" to "Demolition"... they rule.

@ Nuclear Vampire:

Hehe, good to see a Priest maniac here...! But, wait a minuite... something's missing from your list! Where's "Defenders Of The Faith"???

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 09, 2002 08:24     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warcorpse:
I had a bunch of old Priest on cassette and vinyl years ago, but now I just have a greatest hits double CD "Metal Works"(73-93), its a good way to hear a variety of Priest tunes. (Just like WC just said.)

If you are like me and don't want to collect all the Priest CDs then just get the "Metal Works" greatest hits CD set.

Mezcalhead...
That is the Double CD i was talking about.
Its the one i was listening to when we were chatting on Yahoo.

It provides a good variety of Priest tunes.

Rocka Rolla is really my favorite Priest album. Its more Bluesy/Metal than the Power Metal thing they later went for.

Sin after Sin has, by far, the BEST drumming.

I would still recommend Screaming for Vengence as a starter. Its heavy, and pretty good. I used to wear out my tape players listening to that one.

Cheers!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 09, 2002 08:26     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I got my first Priest album last year (Demolition...hmmm) and now I'm just four records away from the entire Remasters collection. If it were just one, I'd have to say Defenders Of The Faith. It's simply THE perfect classic metal record.

Painkiller is obviously a straight '10' too, as is 'Sad Wings..'.

Shit, I even love 'Turbo'!

One thing you should be aware of - I've never heard a Priest record that I liked first time around, but by the fifth listen its in your blood. Look - I'm 28 now, but I've gotten into Priest like no other band since Voivod, and that was when I was a kid. They're that fucking brilliant!

Avoid Ram It Down, mind, unless you like absurd warp-speed double-widdly guitar solos and cheese-beyond-cheese lyrics. Like I do. The only thing wrong with Priest was Dave Hollands shitty ham-fisted lumpen drumming. Why the hell didn't they hire Cozy Powell??

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 09, 2002 08:28     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EKH!! I was waiting for you to pop-in here somewhere! You Priest nut, you!

I like the sound of Dave Hollands Drums.
His playing is a bit basic though.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted October 09, 2002 10:59     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yup Kula, my fingers trembled at the very notion of a Priest topic.

I got Rocka Rolla only the other day (together with Sad Wings on some cut-price shitty-package double CD called 'Genocide' - since I couldn't find originals). Its far better than I thought it would be, very much like Leafhound or a depressed Free. Lots of piano and harmonica.

Sad Wings is just excellent - Dreamer/Deicever reminds me of a 'Crazy World Of Arther Brown' song, only Halford isn't in the same league as the great God of Hellfire, obviously.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 09, 2002 12:33     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What??? A Priest topic? I don't believe it!!!

As Black Guard, I'm a huge Priest maniac. From Rocka Rolla to Demolition, anything (and I mean it) is worth buying.

Since you don't know much about Priest, I'd rather recommend you, Mezcal, the "Metal Works" greatest hits CD, or the "Metal Meltdown" double live CD, with Ripper on vocals.

Also, I gotta agree with EKH on the "perfect classic metal record" subject: Defenders of the Faith smokes!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 09, 2002 16:44     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to all for the great picks. I think I'll start with Defenders and Sin after Sin. Especially glad to hear that one can become a Priest fan at 28 since that's how old I am.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted October 09, 2002 17:54     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mez, be sure and post your impressions after you've had some time with these records! Considering your jazz tendencies and the fact that you haven't been listening to Priest since you were 12.
Layla's Dad
VoivodFan
Member # 48

posted October 09, 2002 18:20     Profile for Layla's Dad   Email Layla's Dad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent choice buddy. Don't forget STAINED
CLASS & UNLEASHED IN THE EAST (arguably
the best-ever live album despite the absence
of 'Starbreaker' which was a live staple back
then).
I'm off to Atlanta in an hour, Mezcal. Kreator
& Destruction tonight. I have adrenaline
pumpin'. Hell, I'm 39 & still get excited about
these gigs. This one's gonna cook.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 09, 2002 18:36     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, I bet I could make it to that show in two and half hours if I left now. Have fun buddy. Should be a blast. If this show would've have been 3 months ago....
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 09, 2002 20:31     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If Cozy Powell was in Priest ...FUCK!!! That would have been INCREDIBLE...he would have been perfect, but maybe KK and Glen didn't want any competition from behind, and that's why they kept Holland so long.

This has been a fun topic. Proest and Maiden were my first ventures into the metal world way back in 1980!!! Just 15 years old, and thank GOD for metal because I was into New Wave at the time laugh now!

Black Guard
VoivodFan
Member # 113

posted October 10, 2002 11:32     Profile for Black Guard   Email Black Guard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
If Cozy Powell was in Priest ...FUCK!!! That would have been INCREDIBLE...he would have been perfect, but maybe KK and Glen didn't want any competition from behind, and that's why they kept Holland so long.

Glenn has recorded a solo album with Cozy in the drums, but until now it's unreleased. Glenn is thinking of releasing it this period, because as he said, Cozy has done a great job behind the kit.

"I want to do a few solo stuff. Mainly an album that I had recorded with Cozy Powell, who died in a tragic way four years before and I would like to finish it and dedicate it to his memory, because he was a good friend of mine and he has done a fantastic work that I want the people to listen to it."

... Glenn said.

Black Guard
VoivodFan
Member # 113

posted October 10, 2002 11:36     Profile for Black Guard   Email Black Guard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula Shaker:

Rocka Rolla is really my favorite Priest album. Its more Bluesy/Metal than the Power Metal thing they later went for.

Rocka Rolla is definately worth. Songs like "Run Of The Mill" are not beeing writen every day.

But note that Priest NEVER did anything in the Power Metal area...

Black Guard
VoivodFan
Member # 113

posted October 10, 2002 11:40     Profile for Black Guard   Email Black Guard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexonxonx:
Drum machine sometimes plays better
Probably they kept him around for so long 'cause he was cheap
At least he didn't spoil the sound too much.
Funny, by the time of Ram It Down he learned to play a bit better... Too little, too late.

Wait a minuite... Dave's playing had lots of tricks and it was not "basic" at all, I have to say. Have you ever listened to his stuff LOUD? I like him and he fit 100% to the band's style at the time.

Note also that it is the album "Ram It Down" who had a drum machine used during the recordings.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 10, 2002 11:46     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Black Guard...
Well...your right....but you know what i mean. Its the quickest descriptive i could come up with while my Boss was looming nearby.

Black Guard
VoivodFan
Member # 113

posted October 10, 2002 11:49     Profile for Black Guard   Email Black Guard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Sanctuary Group said Monday it has acquired the Trinifold Group, which handles such acts as JUDAS PRIEST, THE WHO, OPERABABES and LED ZEPPELIN alumni Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, according to the Hollywood Reporter. The Sanctuary Group, which earlier this year bought music company Air Edel, has diverse activities including records, music publishing, film and TV production and artist management. The deal involves an upfront payment of £8 million ($12.5 million) with a possible further £13 million ($20.35 million) due dependent upon significant performance levels over the next 10 years. Trinifold is run by Bill Curbishley, long-term manager of THE WHO, and partner Robert Rosenberg, who will both remain with the company.

And there's the comment of Jayne Andrews about it:

Jayne Andrews Wednesday, October 09, 2002 9:28:26 AM

Some of you will have read about The Sanctuary Group acquiring Trinifold Management -this is correct but does not make any difference to the day to day running here!! Bill Curbishley/Trinifold Management still manage JUDAS PRIEST (and The Who, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page) - nothing has changed there! The Sanctuary Group are not involved in the day to day management of the artists - that is and always has been dealt with by Bill Curbishley! I work directly for Judas Priest so again nothing has changed. We know there are certain 'people' making comments about big changes, reading between the lines and me being out of a job etc., etc., - this is all rubbish so please don't take any notice of it!
JAYNE ANDREWS
Management Co-ordinator for JUDAS PRIEST

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted October 10, 2002 12:37     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
Thanks to all for the great picks. I think I'll start with Defenders and Sin after Sin. Especially glad to hear that one can become a Priest fan at 28 since that's how old I am.

Good choices! Sin After Sin is perhaps too much Deep Purple-ish sounding, due to Roger Glover's production, but is a monster of an album. Defenders demands no comments...

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted October 10, 2002 13:45     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Black Guard:

But note that Priest NEVER did anything in the Power Metal area...

I have to disagree with you there. Judas Priest invented power metal. Exciter and Let Us Pray are the first power metal songs. If it wasn't for those tunes (and for Priest in general) Helloween and all the rest wouldn't exist! I would even say that most of the Ram It Down album is power metal.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted October 11, 2002 01:36     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This thread is interesting to me too, for I have been wondering where to start to get into Judas Priest. Not that I don't know what they sound like, I had Turbo back in '86 (haha), and saw the band live twice in one year, first with Motorhead and Alice Cooper (Operation Rock and Roll), and Painkiller Tour. I just never got into them enough to buy anything, and plus since they have so much stuff out there I didn't know where to start. Cool insight guys, Sin after Sin it is!
:::
BTW I saw Fight in '95 and they kicked ass. I have no earthly idea what Priest sounds like with Ripper (is that his name?)WhoTFC, Halford back with them would be one of the few reunions that are truly warranted.
Cheers!

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan