my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » the osbournes (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Author Topic: the osbournes
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 07, 2002 17:44     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow, just read that Kula. Sharon kicked that guy at Randy Castillo's funeral??? Could this actually be true? What a bitch!

I don't know about Noitall's last comment there. Yeah, I know people get old and life changes but if you're in the public eye and especially under the gaze of your fans I would think that you might want to maintain a certain image. For instance, I do not want to know that Blacky has to take out the trash or shop for groceries. That ruins the image I have of him as a member of VV. The same would go for any of the other original members. It takes away from the magic of the music(please excuse the extreme corniness of that statement). And I know that may sound stupid or naive but that is just what it is for me.

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 07, 2002 19:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mezcal, you make these guys out to be Gods or something, but they are JUST people like you and me except they get paid (or used to) to play and make music. I've honestly never put any musician, no matter how much I admire their work, on a higher level than myself...even though many act like they are superior, they're still just human.

I can see your point about how you like to imagine your 'musical heroes' but the trash has to get taken out by somebidy...hopefully!

Most of the musicians I admire, get more respect from me if they are 'down to earth' with their fans.

Did it blow your image of Halford when he 'came out of the closet'? He's still the voice of metal...but I'm sure it really blew some fans away to find out their macho leather clad idol was gay!!! I didn't give a shit, personally, his music and voice is what matters to me...and he is still incredible.

Face it Mezcal, you're probably a better person than most of the people you idolize in music...you just aren't in the public eye for other to scutinize your actions.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 07, 2002 19:58     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I know what you're saying Schroedster. And with the majority of musicians out there I would agree. But there are a couple of groups who I would not want to think of as regular people. VoiVod being one, Frank Zappa and Bela Bartok being two others. I recognize the fact that they are (or were in the case of the latter) at a level of artistic genius. For me this means that they operate at a higher plane. So yes, I know they are human but also that they are different and unique. I want that uniqueness preserved in my own mind. So I don't want to know what they do in their off time.

As for Halford, I could care less. I never listened to Priest.

And I'm gonna send you an email about that Porcupine package.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 07, 2002 20:42     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha! I personally would pay $$$ to see Blacky take out the trash, vacuum the floor, wash the dishes, pick up bread and eggs at the mart!

THAT would be priceless!

I live in an area of town thats in-between
the Dallas Cowboys head offices / workout facilities and Texas Stadium.
A lot of these guys go to the same Grocery store i do. Its pretty funny watching Leon Lett with a cart full of Steaks & Meat...or Emitt Smith inspect a carton of eggs!

They are all just regular people in the end.
Regular people with exceptional talents.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 07, 2002 21:11     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Cowboys have exceptional talents????
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 07, 2002 23:55     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula Shaker:
Ha! I personally would pay $$$ to see Blacky take out the trash, vacuum the floor, wash the dishes, pick up bread and eggs at the mart!

Yeah, me too...

Mezcal, I don't think you are stupid or naive, just escapist. The problem I have with a kind of blind hero worship is that that kind of myth making is ultimately not very beneficial to the artist (ie. they get pigeon holed in a genre) and it's easily marketed which makes the artist the prey of all the blood suckers looking to get a cut of the action. And basically, I'm too much of a realist to go for that.

(I've been reading a lot on the subject of debunking the myth of artistic genius over the past couple of years - a fast read is Allen Rothberg's book, Creativity and Madness: New Findings and Old Stereotypes, which deconstructs 'genius' as merely being creative thought process and not distinct from ordinary thinking.)

I think what I like about the Osbournes, is that even though it's edited to show them during their most 'tv-worthy' moments, it also shows them at their most banal, yeah, it even shows Ozzy taking out the trash. So maybe it kills the rock star myth but it also shows that Ozzy can get his game on when it comes to singing. And when you get down to it, isn't that what being a musician is all about?

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted October 08, 2002 05:00     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
So maybe it kills the rock star myth but it also shows that Ozzy can get his game on when it comes to singing. And when you get down to it, isn't that what being a musician is all about?

A very good post NIA! I agree totally!

"Image is nothing, obey your thirst!"

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 08, 2002 06:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OKAY FRANK ZAPPA IS THE EXCEPTION!!!

I'm not a HUGE FZ fan but I know a demented genius when I hear one!!!

NIA once again summed things up nicely...thanks. I love seeing OZZY be a regular home bod, couch potatoe, father figure...he's a good guy to his family...maybe not to his ex-band mates, but he's a good dad and that's more important!!!

Spawn_of_SATAN_666
VoivodFan
Member # 62

posted October 08, 2002 10:32     Profile for Spawn_of_SATAN_666   Email Spawn_of_SATAN_666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i read the site king posted.
why didn't ozzy pay the guy?
ozzy in the past rocked and kicked ass, but now need i say this, he is an old fart who curses and wobbles when he walks, he has lost is edge and i miss the old ozzy.
plus his family was dignified at one time.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted October 08, 2002 10:39     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:
The Cowboys have exceptional talents????

Hmmmmmmm.

and what is Atlanta's record?

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan