my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Most useless gig ever..

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most useless gig ever..
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 29, 2002 09:05     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry if I'm bringing you all down with these 'worst' threads, but its good to get it all out, yeah?

Right - the worst gig I've ever seen (apart from Andrew WK at Reading but he doesn't even register as a fucking worthwhile use of oxygen) has to be Disturbed, supporting a band I won't mention as I wish to retain my credability among you all.

Oh all right, it was Marilyn Manson - the wife forced me!

Disturbed loved themselves but, maybe they're monitors were not functioning within acceptable parameters, but to every one else they sucked such wide donkey cock as to probably cause them live-long lockjaw.

I hated them so much.

|  IP: Logged
Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 29, 2002 09:28     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh worst show? Definately Ozzy in Quebec City 1996 (the first ozzfest). Oh my fuckin' god was it ever useless. He absolutely sucked, was never onstage, and kept playing those same old ass Sabbath tunes (I'm sorry but i paid to see and hear Ozzy tunes... not fuckin' Iron Man for the 4th million time). No Crazy Train, no No More Tears, no Perry Mason (even though it was the then current album), no Bark at The Moon.... all we got was a 45 minutes set of fuckin' Sabbath and ONE (1) Ozzy tune, Mama I'm Coming Home??? Blah.

Sepultura and Danzig were the openers, and while Sepultura was disapointing (Roots had just came out), Danzig stole the show... which is pretty funny in itself cuz i never really liked Danzig, but he totally ruled. He had Tommy from Prong with him so maybe that helped things a little, too.

Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted September 29, 2002 10:16     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cryptopsy . Not that the band sux but the sound was shit .... we were only hearing the cymbals ... fuckin annoying .
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 29, 2002 11:04     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EKH...I played in a Band for a short while with ex-Disturbed Guitarist Jay Scott.
That was a trip. Never liked Disturbed too much, but i think theyre latest CD Cover is COOL! 'Believe' i think it is called.
I am tempted to buy it just for that!
Have yet to hear anything from it.
Is it worth it? Should i avoid it?

Marilyn Manson, to me, is GOD...or...the Anti-GOD...or...something. Cant wait for the new CD 'Golden Age of Grotesque' to come out.

I know, I know...the Topic was 'Most useless Gigs...'

For me that would be either Blue Oyster Cult opening for Styx at Starplex in Dallas, 1996.
The sound was bad and the Band was too.
The other one would be that silly Solo-Improv. that Andy Summers (Police) did when opening for Tangerine Dream at the same venue in 1988. He got shouted off stage for that one. Hasnt been back to Dallas since (i dont think.)

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 29, 2002 11:34     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, I've seen some bad fuckin' shows in my day. Some of the groups my band played with were absolutely horrible.

Heavy Early was one of the worst. Shitty, slacker/shoegazer pop. The drummer was terrible. She had no sense of timing whatsoever and her crash cymbal was so far away from the kit that it looked like she had to get up off her seat to hit it.
There's lots of locals I could trash, but what's the point. None of them are around anymore so nobody here will ever hear them. I will drop a few names though: Breath Grenades, Ram 'Em Jesus and Anno Domini were awful.

The Goo Goo Dolls played here back in '87 or so. Ugh. I had never heard them, but my girlfriends friends said they were cool so I went. They were NOT cool. Not one bit. We left halfway through the set.

The Watchmen at Canada day this year. Holy fuck were they bad. I don't know why the Fort Rouge crowd loves these dickheads so much. They suck! I've seen them 3 or 4 times before (opening for other bands or at festivals) and I have to say they are one of Winnipegs worst exports.

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted September 29, 2002 12:35     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha. The Watchmen i've seen before too at Edgefest day long festival of bands. I've noticed that band can't maintain any sort of a SOLID set of good tunes. They might play one or two energetic songs and get things rocking a bit, but then they screw it up by playing some fluff tunes and messing up any momentum they've built up. Another band who has the ability to suck live is Treble Charger.

Probubaly both the strangest and the worst performance i've ever seen is from : DJ Spooky. The openers were Clifford Gilberto and The New Deal who were good for what they played. Aren't headliners supposed to MOVE the show along and build on what the openers have started? The crowd was getting into the first two acts, then Spooky comes out with no emotion or energy at all i thought, he just stood on the stage the whole time and hardly moved at all. He could've been sleeping and no one would've been able to tell the difference! I noticed nearly everyone either got up to do something else or talking to their friends by time his set was halfway through, hardly anyone listening to his stuff.

In the next month, i'll see both TOOL and GWAR which i'm excited about!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 29, 2002 18:17     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by space monger:
In the next month, i'll see both TOOL and GWAR which i'm excited about!

From what i hear...you'll be lucky to "See" TOOL...even if your at the front of the Stage! Kind-of a rippoff if you ask me.
I havent been to see TOOL on this Tour.
Bet it will be kickass in spite of what i've read. Be sure to give us a Review, ok?

space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted September 29, 2002 20:35     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
King Kula Shaker, yes i've heard about the big projection screens used on the TOOL tour this year. I think that sort of a cool idea myself, i'll be glad to do a review of the show too, along with my first GWAR experience.

Actually i was thinking a cool idea would be to create a "REVIEWS" thread or section on this forum for just that, peoples personal opinions on shows they go to. What do you think?

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted September 30, 2002 01:18     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Gwar's coming to Vancougar very soon!!! Fuckin A!!! You're not going to believe this Emlyn but I happened to meet Andrew W.K. yesterday at my freind's record store! I also breifly checked out the last few seconds of his set at the Commodore last night. Prior to that I checked/helped out a band at the Polar Bear pit at the zoo in Stanley Park. Strangest concert I ever attended I think... Good thing I wasn't on any acid!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 30, 2002 08:28     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm sure Andrew WK is a nice person. But his music is as useful as a bucket of past-sell-by-date pig cum.

And I think I'd rather put my head in that bucket than go and see him ever again.

I mean, I'd rather soil myself in a room full of girls I wanted to impress. Or pull my teeth out and shove them, root-first, down my japs-eye.

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted September 30, 2002 11:31     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes I'm afraid I have to agree with you for the most part and as things turned out he was a nice fellow though I must admit I was a little put out after he declined a beer which I most graciously offered to him. Dammit, that's sacrilege! Sure he was about to play a set at the Commodore but dammit, if that was me, I'd be sure to polish off at least a case of beer before I even attempted to climb up on stage! Not only that, but I would almost certainly continue to drink heavily right through the entire set! And no foolin either! I know where my priorities lie!!! Booze always comes before everything else!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 30, 2002 13:24     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAHA! I nearly forgot how bad King Diamond is live! I saw him in '86 and he was a pathetic joke! The original line-up of Megadeth opened the show and CRUSHED!!! This further helped KD look dumb as ever!

By far the worst show I've ever seen was Autechre! I very much like a lot of electronic and ambient acts, but I will never, EVER, go to a show like this again! There was NOTHING going on on stage except some guy sittin' in front of his computer! The venue continued to fill up, get extremely smokey, and the crowd just milled around like they didn't know what to do. I finally got fed up and left! I could of had a better time sitting at home and listening to the album. Pointless!

Other than that, the last lame show I think I went to was that Danzig show a few months back... just sucked and made me realize I have no interest in following Danzig's career anymore.

One last lame show: Sevendust, Clutch, & Stuck Mojo at a place called The Zone in Albuquerque, NM. The only reason I went to this show is to see Clutch! What I got was the WORST sound and only about a 20 minute set from them. Sevendust's sound and stage production was excellent, unlike their music, but even they played short. Afterwards (at midnight), the club rushed everyone out and lo-and-behold, their was a long line of wiggers waiting to get in for a night of disco/rave crap! Screwed again and I would have been better off staying at home.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan