my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Erosion & Vortex

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Erosion & Vortex
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted September 16, 2002 03:51     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a strange thing that happened to me recently:

I was listening to "Kronik" while driving to the campus the other day, and these 2 tracks really begun to tingle my spine! I can't exactly point out the reason for that, but they just sounded so incredibly intense and heavy I had to cram my stereo's volume near the max despite the blood starting to pour from my ears. (This is also known as the Killing Technology effect.) My black Nissan Micra (batmobile ) was actually shaking from the sonic assault, but luckily it survived.

Now the strange thing about this is that I've heard Kronik at least 50 times before, and I haven't paid any particular attention to Erosion or Vortex. To me they've sounded like, well shoot me for saying this, leftovers from Negatron. They've been OK, but nothing to rave about. What do you people think of these tracks?

I suspect Piggy has hidden some secret mind-manipulating virus in these songs, which spreads via air and first hibernates for the next 48 times the songs are received by the listener. Then it overtakes the minds of the unsuspecting hearers, making them slaves of Anark for the rest of their lives. Here's my medical theory:

In those who already have fallen victim to the Flying Lords of All Time this virus, when activated, causes an extreme moshing reaction (also called 'thrashing rage') regardless of time, location or situation. In fact the names 'Vortex' and 'Erosion' quite accurately describe what the virus does to a mind. First it erodes the thin film covering the greasy Top40-layer of the brain. Then it quickly secretes a chemical substance which will dissolve all of the Top40-cells, and injects it into the brain, momentarily causing the victim to fall unconscious. After a while the layer is completely gone, and the virus is free to spread all over the mind.

In less than one minute from all this, the chemical balance of the brain has been altered so that it automatically rejects all music that can be classified as 'commercial product'. In fact, if the brain is exposed to that kind of music for longer periods, it will cause strong nausea in the the victim.

Contrary to this, all music byVoivod will cause great rushes of endorphine and adrenaline to the body when received. In addition, all kinds of metal (music) will do the same, but in a slightly smaller scale.

The lifespan of the virus is, in most cases, even longer than the host's.

|  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 16, 2002 04:59     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You have to realise, your theory is wise!
I don't have the cd with me today. I'll give it a blast when I get home tonight and see if these tracks have any effect. Personally, I haven't listened to Kronik in a loooong time, as I remember being pretty dissapointed by it when I first got it. I'll dust it off and add more thoughts later... if I survive the virus!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 16, 2002 06:14     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
V-man makes a strong point. Maybe I should buy Kronik now. This virus sounds so seductive.
I always thought the album was a compilation of leftovers and remixes that wasn't worth the buy. \
You know I heard a live version recently of Day by Day that blew me away. Is this from Kronik as well? Or Negatron? I'd never heard this before and really liked it. I'd like to compare it to the studio version. If one exists.

Thanks for sharing the story of your curious affliction with us V-man. Wait till the new album comes out. You think you've got problems now.
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted September 16, 2002 08:49     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mezcalhead:

I always thought the album was a compilation of leftovers and remixes that wasn't worth the buy. \

Well, it essentially is that, but it's worth the buy. The remixes are pretty well done IMO, and Erosin + Vortex...wow!!
quote:

You know I heard a live version recently of Day by Day that blew me away. Is this from Kronik as well? Or Negatron? I'd never heard this before and really liked it. I'd like to compare it to the studio version. If one exists.

No, Day by Day & the other new live song ('Confrontation') are only available as downloadable MP3's on Yuri's site as far as I know, which is a shame. From what I've gathered those two are post-Phobos songs, making them the last songs that Vod did w/ Eric.

neutronboy2000
VoivodFan
Member # 71

posted September 18, 2002 03:36     Profile for neutronboy2000   Email neutronboy2000     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've heard these songs off "Kronik" and the drum sound on "Vortex" is very thin and clicky. I actually like "Erosion"(used to be titled "Mental Pollution") a bit more cuz there's a little more robotic approach in Eric's vocals(though I wished at times it would get totally "cyber"). The song that currently decimates all others is "Ion"-I listened to this twice in a row last night...A very aggressive yet classic Voivod approach-there's the usual epic,dystopic feel to this..Hopefully, in concert Denis Belanger will sing these tunes....
Väinämöinen
VoivodFan
Member # 27

posted September 23, 2002 02:40     Profile for Väinämöinen   Email Väinämöinen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, Ion is also a great song! I'm just curious about the drums. Is that Away or a drum machine playing? Especially the toms sound like samples at some points. Anyway it'd great to hear this tune live sometime.
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted January 24, 2003 11:55     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let's not forget the other great thing about the Kronik release... ION! Easily worth the purchase price for this disc.
HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted January 25, 2003 21:28     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the songs drift, ion, erosion, and vortex are the best songs on kronik and for some reason i like them more than the songs on negatron too (except project x)

i still think it would be cool if erik was still in the band, he had a great thing going with piggy and away.

Thanos
VoivodFan
Member # 174

posted January 25, 2003 23:36     Profile for Thanos   Email Thanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you post on this site you should definitely own Kronik. The unreleased songs are worth the price of admission alone. The Forlorn remix is also good. The live tracks are alright, but I don't particularly care for the vocals on Astronomy Domine.
izgoblin
VoivodFan
Member # 178

posted January 29, 2003 14:57     Profile for izgoblin   Email izgoblin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... "Erosion" and "Vortex" just sounded like leftovers from NEGATRON to me too. Maybe I just need to listen to them a few more times after I have skipped over those rancid remixes.

"Ion", on the other hand, is definitely cool. I wondered also if that's a drum machine on that one...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan