my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Psycho ex-band members?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Psycho ex-band members?
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 13, 2002 19:40     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anybody ever had a 'fatal attraction' type experience with a former band member after giving them the boot?

About 9 months ago my friend's band had to let go of their singer because the guy was having a number of problems, both musically and personally, and it was severely damaging the morale of the band, as well as holding them back creatively... So they did the logical thing and let him go.

As you can guess, he took it pretty hard and it didn't take too long before he was trashing my friend's band at every opportunity, even going as far as sending lot's of flaming emails and defacing the band's guestbook, over and over...

My good friend, who is the drummer in this band finally had some talks with the guy and thought everything was cool (actually he tried to iron things out with the guy a number of times), but every few weeks or so the guy would start feeling unhappy and start shit once again. Things have been quiet for a few months until my friend got another long email today... Ugh, what a headache... the guy sort of implied physical threats this time as well. Keep in mind nobody in the band has talked to him (or even about him), in months.

Anybody else ever have these kind of problems? Any stories, ideas, etc.? Just curious.

Damn, I'm bored at work today!

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 13, 2002 22:25     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have they thought about taking it to the Police if it gets too far?
Obviously, they know the guy better than I do, but...harassment is just that and physical threats are another.
They should do something before the guy REALLY flips out & hurts someone.

Personally, no problems like that before.
I keep harassing my old Guitarist, Mr. Botts, though! He went off & became a "Suit & Tie" guy in the Corperate World and is avoiding me asking him to "Get the Band back together." Best damn Guitarist (besides Piggy) that i've heard and he has traded it all for a Suit and Office!
Oh well!
He gets paid better anyways.

I need a Beer.

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted September 13, 2002 22:48     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Richard.

(Sorry, it's an inside.)

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 16, 2002 05:27     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We had a guy smash up a door in a very expensive studio because he couldn't play his own part and was blaming the drummer's timing.... it was a pretty tricky 7/8 timing part, but still no reason for that bollocks. This was the icing on the cake after a few similar occasions, so we got together to boot him out and he turned up with a stack of self-help therapy books in the hope we might feel sorry / go easy on him! Boy, was he wrong!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 16, 2002 06:34     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ha, ha. You're kidding h. Self help books?? Ha, ha. That's great. Now that would have been funny.

Yeah, X-D, these people who are unbalanced as he obviously is have to be watched. Very unpredictable. Certainly should add some excitement though for the next show wondering if the guy will appear. Keep your eyes open buddy. I'd stay close to an exit if I were you.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 16, 2002 08:27     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've avoided this (very real) problem by use of cunning and deviousness.

We sacked our near-suicidal (and crap) guitar player but got the drummer to tell him.

Then we dumped the drummer by getting the bassist to tell him, then we dumped the bassist by getting the NEW drummer to tell him.

Unfortunatly, sick of all this duplicity, the singer left of his own accord.

You have no friends when you are in a band, pacts are made and broken behind your back. The only safe bet is taking the Mustaine route and assert your authority onto everyone else.

Show me a band that genuinely operates as a democracy and I'll show you a Nu-Metal band that isn't a bunch of shit.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan