my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Orthrelm

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Orthrelm
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted September 11, 2002 16:05     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was talking with Mick Barr from Orthrelm the other night (he was formerly in Chromtech), and he admitted to using a lick from Psychic Vacuum on track 4 of the first Orthrelm e.p. on Tolotta records.

I knew it!

|  IP: Logged
Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted September 11, 2002 16:08     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You could pick out a riff?! I've only heard some stuff on line and found it really inspiring (and fucking insane as well). Great stuff!!
Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted September 11, 2002 16:19     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
just last night, i heard the new foo fighters single, and i could swear he stole a riff from inner combustion or one of the songs on nothingface

i hate the mainstream
i hate dave grohl

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 11, 2002 16:45     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... Dave Grohl is a huge Voivod fan and knows the guys. If there is a Voivod reference in a Foo Fighters tune, I'll bet it's some sort of reference or nod to the Chaosmongers themselves. Check out the shirt!

Here's a cool interview with Dave about Probot. LINK

BTW - What's the name of this tune?

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted September 11, 2002 17:29     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Orthrelm is just about the craziest music I've ever heard. I have 4 of their records now, and when I saw them live, I actually recognized quite a few parts.

Truly inspirational. The 3 shows I've seen this year that really blew my mind were Orthrelm, SUNN )), and Flux Information Sciences.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 12, 2002 06:15     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't understand why people would hate GRIHL. His having a fun time playing all kinds of different rock music, paying tribute to his heros with his Probot project and seems to be an all round cool guy.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 12, 2002 07:37     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm looking forward to the Probot thing. After hearing the Motorhead style song that he's done for it, I can't wait to hear the rest, especially Snakes' bit. Should be a cool record.
Those Orthrelm tunes from mp3.com are off thier tits! I haven't heard track 4, so I can't comment on the riff-robbery! I'll try and hunt it down.
Shit man, this website is costing me a fucking fortune in new music! Cool!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 12, 2002 12:28     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think there's an important difference between riff theft and paying homage to an artist you respect by referencing them in a song, lyrically or instrumentally.

A band like Orthrelm, or even a guy like Dave Grohl, who are influenced by Voivod obviously aren't trying to scam anyone by using a riff. Hell, even Nonphixon's logo (shudder ) is somewhat of a tribute to the band, although I still think they suck. It was Away's suggestion that they use that logo, after all.

It's when you try to capitalize on someone else's work, or deny the influence, that you cross over in to the lame zone. That's my opinion anyway. What do you all think?

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 13, 2002 05:21     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sounds like you're making perfect sense to me, X-D.
Did Voivod ever admit to the Stravinsky 'borrowing'?!!

Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted September 14, 2002 16:08     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I wouldn't call the Orthrelm thing theft at all. Legally, they could have sampled a Voivod riff three times longer.

It's a little tribute, and an inside joke that only a serious geek like me would even notice.

n/p: Helios Creed - X-rated Fairy Tales

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan