my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 1989 Interview with Legs McNeil

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1989 Interview with Legs McNeil
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 09, 2002 15:08     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just found my tape with an interview by Legs McNeil. In the interview, they refer to Dimension Hatross a lot and only touch on Nothingface toward the end. I can pick out Piggy, Snake, and Away's voice, but I don't hear Blacky on there. I'll give another listen on the way home. It's a lengthy interview; at least half an hour (I think). I believe this interview to be late '89.

If anyone is interested I'll MP3 the interview and post it somewhere.

Just for kicks I'll mention that Away refers to Killing Technology as the first album they were happy with.

|  IP: Logged
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 09, 2002 17:32     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey man, I'd love to hear this! Set it up with the Corpse I guess. Some would say their most "creatively fertile" period. As fertile a time as the recording sessions of GirlSchool were for Britny Fox.

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 09, 2002 18:27     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nothingface:
Just for kicks I'll mention that Away refers to Killing Technology as the first album they were happy with.

Yes, I read that sometime in the past, in an old Metal Hammer (UK) magazine (circa July or August '87). Away pointed the Rrröööaaarrr production/mixing as ruining their music, or something.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 09, 2002 19:19     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not a suprising comment considering what a leap forward Killing Technology was from War & Pain and RRROOOAAARRR, both from a production standpoint, as well as musicially & lyrically. KT through Nothingface is my favorite era in Voivod's career!

Yeah Nothingface, I too would love to hear this interview!

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 10, 2002 14:13     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The interview clocks in at almost exactly 20 minutes. Blacky is present, but rarely answers a question.

This must not have been a face to face interview as the questions and answers sound disjointed and the band appears to be reading its answers from translations.

I'll get it as an MP3 this week and put it on my FTP (if I have room ).

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 16, 2002 09:17     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's the link to the MP3:

Voivod Interview w/ Legs McNeil (1989)

The file is about 8.8Mb (running time 19min.+)

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 16, 2002 09:58     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
LOL!!! That is HILARIOUS!!! I love listening to the robotic questions and answers, omg, it sounds like everyone is on downers. Ah ha ha hahaaa....
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 16, 2002 12:30     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Excellent stuff!!!! By the end of it you can make out who's voice belongs to who. That's cool. Cheers Warcorpse! I'm off to find the planet "gooooong" to have sex with alien beings!! Fucking madmen!
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 16, 2002 19:36     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Much thanks Nothingface!!!

Who is answering most of these questions Noitall??? Is it Away? Great to hear their voices. Very cool.

The interviewer sounds like Bill Moyers. Maybe it was Moyers. Such a pedestrian voice.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 16, 2002 21:06     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh my fucking GAWD!! :O

Djeezus... What's up with 'em *reading* the answers? Haha. Oh man... It reminds me of that old Cheech & Chong skit "The first day of my summer vacation, i woke up.. to.. look.. for... a job".. hehe..

I knew their english sucked ass at the time, but this? I couldnt even listen to the first five minutes... This is *bad*. I dont think i have such an accent anymore

Thanks, tho. I'm gonna listen to the whole thing sometime.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 16, 2002 21:21     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought Piggy spoke or read the best on this tape. Funny cause I always read that he was the worst of the bunch with English.
nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 16, 2002 23:55     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a handful of Voivod interviews on video and I've been able to tell the voices apart. Most of the questions are answered by Snake and Away in this interview, with Piggy interjecting from time to time and Blacky being quite reserved and only answering a few toward the end.

He seems a bit interview shy on all the footage I have of the band. Seems it just wasn't his thing. It makes me appreciate even more his participation on this board. Thank you, Blacky.

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 17, 2002 00:02     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, double post.
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 17, 2002 23:38     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Piggy, obviously, talks about when he had cancer, Away discusses Protons, Snake talks about how it's hard to have sex with aliens when you're wearing a space suit and Blacky talks about his brother Yvan. And Legs McNeil asks some pretty retarded questions, I have to say...
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted September 18, 2002 12:25     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh! Man, that is so horrible, I even have a vinyl copy of that shit here, now you all know why I hate doing interviews. AsI recall this horrible moment in time, we recorded this interview at Victor studio during a break on the Nothingface session.
Piggy was definitely the best with his English, me probably the worst, hopefully it has evolved since then, at least for me. This whole thing was sort of a setup, we had the questions pre-recorded and everybody (record company) wanted us to be very serious about it because it was Sir McNeil. I never liked doing serious interviews since I never agreed to the concept that the band was a serious thing. Obviously, that's the reason why I didn't do many interviews since the other band members didn't agree with my philosophy. Anyway to make it short here, we wrote the answers on paper and without rehearsing (obviously we needed lots of it) we went on to recording the whole thing. And it sounded like a bunch of twelve year old morons. Especially the one with Away talking about the scientific concept, crap sake, so glad that is such a long time ago.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted September 18, 2002 16:42     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blacky:
. I never liked doing serious interviews since I never agreed to the concept that the band was a serious thing.

Yah, like the interview in which you pretty much just said the word "Yogourt". Heh.

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted September 18, 2002 17:02     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hahahahahah this interview is cracking me up
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 18, 2002 20:32     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have the promo 12 inch vinyl of this interview and according to the info on it this was recorded to be passed out to magazines and radio stations so the band wouldn't have to do hundreds of separate interviews, which makes sense at the time considering they had a chance to read the questions and record their answers in English. You can certainly tell the questions and answers where recorded at different times.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 19, 2002 09:23     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doh! And there was me thanking Warcorpse... force of habit, or something
Cheers Nothingface!

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted September 19, 2002 10:11     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I've been looking for that tape for a long time now. It got packed in the move last year and I just unearthed it. I figured it would be a fun listen, but never knew Blacky would "enjoy" reliving it to the extend he did!

I know I've got some other stuff around here somewhere, including an old "Metal Shop" news tidbit on Piggy's cancer.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan