my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » STIP THE SOUL - VIDEO

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STIP THE SOUL - VIDEO
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 07, 2002 05:47     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Okay music lover, and open mided demented freaks. Haul your eyes on over to http://www.porcupinetree.com/
and click on the banner for the "EXCLUSIVE VIDEO OF STRIP THE SOUL". The best way to watch this is to right click it and save the file, so you can watch it on your computer whenever you want. It's an 'mov' file and will open in your QUICKTIME player.

This a a dark demented video that I can best describe as a cross between a TOOL video and an Orson Wells/Hitchcock style directed movie.

I'll try to hunt down the lyrics and post them here to give you an idea of what the song is about.

The download will take some time depending on your connection speed but it is WORTH IT.

ENJOY

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 07, 2002 05:52     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Strip the Soul

This is my home, this is my own, we don't like no strangers
Raise the kids good, beat the kids good and tie them up
Spread it wide, my wife, my life, push the camera deeper
I can use, I abuse, my muse, I made them all

This machine
Is there to please
Strip the soul
Fill the hole
A fire to feed
A belt to bleed
Strip the soul
Kill them all

They are not gone, they are not gone, they are only sleeping
In graves, in ways, in clay, underneath the floor
Building walls, overalls, getting bored, I got faulty wiring
Brick it up now, brick it up now, but keep the bones

(Do you want a western home in the rubble ?)

The song is about being a serial killer/collector, and the video portrays the lyrics very well.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 09, 2002 05:35     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I picked up a Porcupine Tree collection last week. "Stars Die - The Delerium Years 91-97". The packaging was excellent and I couldn't wait to get it home. I gotta say I was a little dissapointed though. Maybe I picked up a bad example of them, or maybe I was in the wrong frame of mind for it, but I didn't really connect with it.
I'm gonna go and check that video out, as there were some cool moments on the cd, but can you recommend anything else ?

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 09, 2002 08:34     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That wasn't a good place to start if you're first listening to PT. It's made up of demos and early songs, and more for the collector than a first time listener. I think you will enjoy the video, and the new cd IN ABSENTIA is heavier than previous releases. Steve is once again working with OPETH and they will be releasing one extremley heavy cd this year, with a mellow disc, with acoustic, and no cookie monster singing early next year.

Steve Wilson's voice is something most metal heads would have to get used to. It's not brutal, but is perfect for the songs he writes and makes the band sound very unique.

Let me know what you think of the video.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 09, 2002 08:44     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was unable to Install the Quicktime Viewer.
Downloaded the Video just fine, but as usual Apple Corp. Products are most backwards & disagreeable.

I saw what looked like a new Opeth CD Saturday & i nearly bought it, but didnt.
Cant remember the name of it.
Wonder if i should have?

I can never find any Porcupine Tree CD's in any Stores i visit. Wonder what is up with that. Guess the Music Buyers have no taste in good Music!

Picked up the newest VADER CD.
It is killer!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 09, 2002 10:01     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schroeder:
That wasn't a good place to start if you're first listening to PT. It's made up of demos and early songs, and more for the collector than a first time listener.

heh heh... I bought it at amazon and they had a review saying the exact opposite! "A great place to start"!!! Of course, it goes without saying that a Voivod fan is gonna have a better opinion!!!

I just finished watching the video (no problems with apple related products here! Maybe it's that windows malarky you're running Kula!! ) And it sounded / looked cool. I especially like the middle to end section. I'll definately look again at this band. Thanks Schroeder. I'm also interested in the Opeth thing, more so if there are no "cookie monster" vocals!!

It's good to see a London Bus stop at the end of the video! I don't think anyone else would use one!

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted September 09, 2002 10:35     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by King Kula Shaker:
Picked up the newest VADER CD.
It is killer!

I'm listening to it right now. Two months and it is still growing on me! Those vintage-metal riffs on "The Code" are the best!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 09, 2002 12:45     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OPETH is primary death metal syle vocals but the last few releases have had some amazing music, and some changes in the vocal area where it varies from growling to singing. It's ashame because the singer has a great voice when he chooses to use it.

I d/l'd the newext Quicktime onto my Windows ME and there was no problems.

Glad ya liked it 'h'. There's a heavy song on the new album called The Creator Has A Mastertape, that is incredible. Also a smoking instrumental called Wedding Nails, which reminds me of heavy RUSH updated.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 09, 2002 13:10     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool. I'll pick that up next pay packet!
I have Opeth's "Still Life" and it's a great record. I always prefer stuff like that when they don't have the death style vocals though. Dunno why more bands don't do it. I used to sing death style myself, even though I always preferred 'straight' vocals. But I didn't have the guts to try and sing straight back then!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 09, 2002 15:51     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
IN ABSENTIA gets released on September 24 in the states and not until the end of the year on your side of the pond, so you'll have to get it as an import if you can't wait. Something I've been doing doing with every PT release since I got into them, since there has been hardly no distribution in the US until now.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan