my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » QOTSA

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: QOTSA
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 31, 2002 22:44     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Queens of the Stone Age.

Just picked-up the new CD today & thought i would shout about it.

Songs for the Deaf.

FUKKIN KILLER CD! I highly recommend it!
I got the so-called "Limited Edition" 2-CD set. One CD, one DVD of some GREAT Live & Studio footage! All this for only $11.99 at Best Buy.

I'm blasting it on the Stereo right now!

|  IP: Logged
Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted September 01, 2002 00:38     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is this a girl band or guys in drag (haha)?
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 01, 2002 05:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A work mate bought this the other day and IT ROCKS!!!! I'm getting it ASAP, along with the prevous release 'Rated R'.

Not a drag queen by any stretch of the imagination. There's a guy from the band Kyuss, the singer from Screaming Trees, Dave Grohl on drums (imagine that!)and lots of guest appearances like Chris Goss from Masters of Reality.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted September 01, 2002 06:41     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
SHIT, a supergroup. I think I need to check them out...I was just ragging on the name. It does throw you off a bit. But I guess that's the whole point, and I fell right into the trap!
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted September 01, 2002 07:21     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listening to it right now. Much better than 'Rated R'. Dave Grohl does an excellent job on this one.
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted September 01, 2002 15:11     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm a fan of all their work, and this is their best yet. I wouldn't really consider them a supergroup. More like ex-members of Kyuss with some special guests. Cross Nirvana and Radiohead and you have QOTSA.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 02, 2002 05:16     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Make sure you pick up the self titled first album too. It's way heavier than thier more recent pop stuff! "Regular John" rocks!
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 04, 2002 21:44     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was posted in another Thread that QOTSA would be on Letterman Show tonight (9-4-02).

Well...From the QOTSA Website comes:

Queens on The Late Show with David Letterman (UPDATED AGAIN)
UPDATE: The Letterman appearance has been postponed until Monday, September 9th.

Please check your local listings for showtimes.

[posted 9/4/2002 U.S.A.]

Get your VCR's ready to record that one.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 04, 2002 22:42     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
COOL I DON'T WORK TUESDAY SO I DON'T HAVE TO GET UP AT 5 AM, WHICH MEANS I CAN STAY UP AND WATCH IT!!!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 04, 2002 22:46     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, thanks for the update Kula!
Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 09, 2002 15:43     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, the new QOTSA rocks! I have a friend who is a fuckin' expert on the whole Kyuss/QOTSA/a million other bands family tree and he played it for me a month ago. Since then I just can't get enough of it! Finally picked it up this past weekend. This one is definetly in my top ten for 2002. Can't wait to see them on Letterman.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted September 09, 2002 16:10     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes! Thats right!
Thanks for reminding me!
They should be on tonight if everything goes as planned.

I saw some band called Tenacious D on MADTV Saturday night & Dave Grohl was on the Drums! http://www.tenaciousd.com/
What a strange experience that was!
Anyone else catch that?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 09, 2002 16:30     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope, but here's a topic I started on the D.
Dave Grohl - Queens of the Stone Age / Probot/Tenacious D

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted September 09, 2002 17:50     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kula's wise recommendation I picked up the latest Queens album. What really perked my interest was the inclusion of Lanegan on vox. Always did like .....what was the name of that band he was in?

THEY ROCK!!!! What is up with Homme's guitar tone???? It literally ripped a shred through my skull. Now that is quality riffing. Loved it all. Much thanks Kula.

ALso picked up Mclaughin's Extrapolation album. Oh, that's jazz, ya'll aren't interested....

Course the next day I receive packages from Schroeder and Simon6 loaded with cds. What the ???????????

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted September 10, 2002 10:10     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I fuckin' fell asleep on the couch and missed QOTSA!!! SHIT!!! How was it?
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 10, 2002 10:49     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It was good. I didn't realize that M. Lanegan was on vocals, I hardly recognized him without all of his hair, ha ha.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 10, 2002 11:05     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire:
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! I fuckin' fell asleep on the couch and missed QOTSA!!! SHIT!!! How was it?

I tried to stay awake in bed to watch it but Mr Sandman came around and knocked me out!!! I'm gettin' old!!!

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted September 10, 2002 17:40     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
JOSH HOMME is the singer/guitarist, noitall

and that was Joey Castillo on drums, fresh out of DANZIG
it's weird seeing ex-DANZIG drummers on TV
i get this weird sensation, as if i'm on the wrong planet (or right one for that matter)
i saw Chuck Biscuits on a MTV news blurb a while back, drumming for Social Distortion
it's like seeing a part of DANZIG infiltrating the conformity training screens, sticking out like a compound fracture

how do they (the queens) get such good live sound? pounds and pounds of compression?

i saw Kyuss live in '92, opening for DANZIG
the only song i knew was Mean Machine (which i sorta liked)
people were moshin', it was OK
i don't like stoner, sludge, doom, etc. too much

i saw the video for NO ONE KNOWS on mtv2, when mtv2 took over mtv for a day
concept: they hit a deer, the deer gets up, beats them, ties them to the hood of the jeep, they go to a bar or something, at the end the queens are mounted on the deer's wall

THE LOST ART OF KEEPING A SECRET>>>>NO ONE KNOWS: get it????

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 11, 2002 05:20     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Get the first Queens album folks. It's way heavier. The track 'Regular John' is pure genius.

Oops -just realised I already posted the same thing a few days ago!!! Oh well... it's worth pointing out twice!

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted September 11, 2002 13:06     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HAHA! Yeah, I agree H! That first one is pretty sweet! Of course anyone just getting into QOTSA NEEDS to check out Kyuss as well! "Blues For A Red Sun" and "Welcome To Sky Valley" being good starting points for that band!

Too bad for Danzig that he lost Joey Castillo... When I saw him last Castillo was the only member of his band that sounded as good as he should have. However, good for him finally getting into a relevant band.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 12, 2002 15:48     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My bad, thanks for the correction Phobia.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan