my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » I saw Tool last night

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I saw Tool last night
Twindummy
VoivodFan
Member # 15

posted August 24, 2002 09:11     Profile for Twindummy   Email Twindummy     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The music sounded great but the singer hid in back all night with no lights on him. The bassist and guitartist didn't move and they showed wierd movies all night. I felt like I was in some kind of cult or something after a while. I finally left halfway through the show. I couldn't take it anymore. I knew they were wierd but....

Not my style I guess. I don't see the point in going to a show to watch fucked up movies while the band plays....

Has anyone else seen Tool? If so - tell me if I am nuts....

|  IP: Logged
Imran X
VoivodFan
Member # 17

posted August 24, 2002 10:26     Profile for Imran X   Email Imran X     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Singer in the back, weird movies being played, sounds amazing actually. Im not into Tool but I wouldnt mind checking out a live show like that.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 24, 2002 11:28     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've always wonder if such a multi-presentation would work at a VV show. Like an animated movie(created by Away of course)shown behind the stage. Possibly too much stimuli. Would it take away from the music?? I wonder?
space monger
VoivodFan
Member # 41

posted August 24, 2002 13:38     Profile for space monger   Email space monger     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a live video from a stop in New Jersey in '93 as part of TOL tour. The band has a big projection screen behind them thats showing strange shapes and designs that move. They used it on The Lost Machine and some other songs and i thought it looked cool. That and their strobe light effects make watching that video visually enjoying.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 24, 2002 17:31     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah. I read a Review in the Paper about Tool and theyre Concert here in Dallas.
The Singer stood behind the Drums and shrouded in darkness all night while those Movies played on the Screen. The Review said the Music was perfect, but reading that i thought...WTF!?
People usually go to a show to SEE the BAND!
I thought that Tool was kinda ripping people off in doing this. If theyre excuse is to put more attention on the Music...well...everyone bought the CD's for that! Everyone could have stayed at home and done the same thing with theyre TV & Stereo!
Tool has gone off the deep-end on this one.
Fuckin ripoff.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 24, 2002 19:55     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As long as TOOL was playing their music then I'd fuckin' love it.

Tool are a great band, and Aenima, Undertow, Opiate, and Lateralus, are incredible album.

They are in a league of their own, just like Voivod, and King Crimson, and Porcupine Tree.

I wish I could have seen the King Crimson / Tool show, when they did a mini tour together.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 27, 2002 06:14     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've seen tool a bunch of times now, and they always do something like this. It's cool though, they usually get the atmosphere right, and can be fucking rocking when they want.
The last time I saw them, they showed the video to thier latest single, then came back on and played it live right after. That seemed a bit pointless.
Is it just me or does that latest album waffle on a bit too much?!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 27, 2002 07:46     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
h wrote: Is it just me or does that latest album waffle on a bit too much?!!

It ain't you!
I agree there are some pointless spots on the new cd, and it doesn't hold up to Aenima or Undertow. But there are also some incredible tracks that just blow my mind. There was some stupid shit on Salival that just seemed like filler and a total waste of time, also. But the DVD with the videos on it made it worth the purchase alone. I do enjoy the No Quarter cover and the secret track 'Maynard's Dick' is interesting, to say the least (did they play that live?)! I was hoping for some live footage on the dvd, but maybe that will come latter.

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 28, 2002 01:08     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,

I saw TOOL at the Ozzfest in Nijmegen
01 june this year.

The singer was painted orange and black all over him he was only wearing shorts!!
But indeed he was in the back and the music did the talking..... All the other members were the same too.

I didn't mind standing in the first row looking at it. You just go there for the music that is far more heavier then on the cd's.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 28, 2002 01:17     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I saw Tool back in '94 in the U.S. when Flaming Lips opened. Maynard got pissed off because people were chanting "Tool, Tool" when Lips were playing. He made everyone shut-up when he said they were his friends. Tool proceeded to kick ass.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan