my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » 21st century Schizoid Band

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 21st century Schizoid Band
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted August 24, 2002 05:51     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Original members of King Crimson are playing London 30/09/02
www.rfh.org.uk/myh

|  IP: Logged
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 24, 2002 05:58     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Too bad it's on your side of the pond... I'd love to see this this band for nostalgia sake. And since I was too young in the early 70's to even know who King Crimson were, this would be great to experience, even without the Frippster on guitar.
Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 24, 2002 08:35     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you guys heard LIVE AT THE JAZZ CAFE yet? Fantastic stuff. Took me a couple of listens to get it but once I did it was well worth the wait.
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 24, 2002 20:02     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyone into experimental music would enjoy ANY of the ProjeKCts that were a kind of research and develope stage for fractal of the Crimson double Trio line up.
Improving and jamming...from some of the worlds most talented musicians.

I saw ProjeKCt 2 live and they fuckin' tore it up!!!! Fripp can shred notes on a guitar as well as any metal guitar god, but with more class!!!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 27, 2002 06:09     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Fucking smart! I'm there!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 27, 2002 07:53     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Make sure you post a review h, I'm dying to hear what you think about it. I'm wondering if it will sound fresh and exciting or if it will sound like a bunch of old guys trying to relive the past (I hope not). This is the reason Fripp doesn't do 'greatest hits' tours, he would rather break new ground than ride down the old dusty path again.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 24, 2002 12:12     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just heard that I'm on the guest list for their show tomorrow night in Croydon (shitty town just outside London). Can't wait! Should be mental! I'll let you guys know what goes on.....
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 24, 2002 14:01     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
DAMN, you lucky bastard!!!!

Enjoy it for me bro!!!

Full review is due on this site as soon as you recover!!!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 26, 2002 05:30     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well... what can I say? Well worth checking out. This was obviously some kind of warm up show for the Royal Festival Hall show on the 30th, as it was in a tiny little theatre (fully seated unfortunately, but I guess most of the audience were happy about that, seeing as they were all over 60!)
It started of with a cool rendition of 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' before wandering aimlessly into non-crimson solo project boredom for a little while. That's a little harsh. It was still interesting muzac, but the best bits by far were the Crimson covers. "I Talk To The Wind' was done brilliantly. I think they threw 'Epitaph' in there to, but it might have been something else - the bar had been open a while by this point!!
There were some pretty cool McDonald/Giles colaboration tunes that I haven't heard before, and then the obligatory encore of '21st Century Schizoid Man'. A fucking ripping little version of it too! I was well happy with that.
Extra special mentions must go to the bass players slacks! I haven't seen 'ankle-swingers' like that since my pre-teen days! That kept us laughing through the few dull riffs.
Also, Jakko Jakszyk (vox/guitar) made a quality gag about being onstage with 4 ex-members of Crimson, saying he got the job by winning "Prog Idol". Cracked me up. Only funny if you've seen the show 'Pop Idol' though.....
On the whole, an excellent show. I'd recommend any Crimson-curious punter to check it out. Just don't be put off by the shiney suits and over-use of Grecian 2000!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 26, 2002 06:13     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the review H.

Glad you enjoyed the gig. The USA has just finished the first season of AMERICAN IDOL and we now have a new Celine-Striesand-Whitney-diva clone...BIG FUKIN DEAL!!!

Thanks to the UK for creating another show for us to steal!!!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted September 26, 2002 07:15     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jesus man! It's on it's 3rd series over here. There seems to be a never ending line of talentless fuckwits begging for the opportunity to prove how useless they are! It makes for some entertaining viewing though!
I love the way it's called 'American Idol' over there! That'd never work here!!! 'English Idol'? I don't fucking think so!!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 26, 2002 18:10     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Your Idol came over here for one of the final episodes and I must say HE SUCKED SHIT!!! The song that he sang and sold millions of sounded just like a MONKEES song anly not as good!!!

Simon said he thought we had better talent over here, but maybe the talent in the UK is smart enough to avoid the show all together!!!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted September 26, 2002 18:14     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You have to admit the tape of the auditionees who never made it on the show was funny. I laughed til I was crying. Especially when the girl who said she was going to sing whatever 'God told her to' was on and she just warbled some nonsensical shit...rotfl!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted September 27, 2002 06:12     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noitall:
You have to admit the tape of the auditionees who never made it on the show was funny. I laughed til I was crying. Especially when the girl who said she was going to sing whatever 'God told her to' was on and she just warbled some nonsensical shit...rotfl!

And she was the CRAZY GYPSY that had to follow the show to 2 or 3 cities just to get an audition!!! The outtakes are always the best!!! SIMON was the only judge who had no problem speaking the truth, and hopefully some of these people will STOP singing.

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted September 27, 2002 08:25     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah yes - scenes of Stage-School scum bursting into tears as their useless dreams are dashed are priceless and worth the price of a blank video tape!

Almost as good as Airshow Disaster footage.

JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted October 01, 2002 00:40     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Went to the RFH gig last night -brilliant gig !
H isn't joking about those slacks though - made more surreal by the guy wearing them looking uncannily like Roger Moore.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted October 01, 2002 06:14     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So Noitall, what did you think of Justin's hair???
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted October 01, 2002 11:08     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Why it's fro-licious.
Tangento
VoivodFan
Member # 117

posted October 01, 2002 12:02     Profile for Tangento   Email Tangento     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I am going to try to untie this knot.

Voivod website. A damn nice one at that. Look, a Voivod board.
A KING CRIMSON post, on a VOIVOD board, on a Voivod site.
Wow! What a great combination.
This should be grand, I'll spend a few minutes reading this, throw on some "Lark's Tongues In Aspic", and...

...uh oh

Oh god no ...no
...NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Nobody move, don't even BLINK.
The American Idol "thing" has just slipped its malevolent, viral omnipresence into the fold. If we move slowly, we can quarantine this thread and prevent an epidemic.Too late.

Fripp be damned. We just cannot escape this
HORRID, inane & satanic mockery of art and music, no matter where we go.
I give up. I only feel lucky never to have been sucked into actually watching this human catastrophie.
I personally blame Ed McMahon

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted October 01, 2002 15:16     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was FUNNY

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan