my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Nothingface tour...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nothingface tour...
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted August 16, 2002 12:34     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This topic is sort of a question for Blacky...

One of the best shows I've seen in my life (all bands included) is Voivod's Nothingface show at the Spectrum in Montréal with opening acts Soundgarden and Faith No More. That show was crazy!!! The whole spectrum floor was a huge mosh pit... was almost scray at times

Anyway, how was it touring with these 2 bands? Is Mike Patton as crazy in real life as he is on stage? Did you hang around with the other bands or did every one go their seperate ways? I'm not sure but I think the Nothingface tour was the largest tour the band did... any juicy stories or "anecdotes" worth telling us?

Inquiring minds want to know
Merci!!!

|  IP: Logged
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 16, 2002 13:16     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mike Patton's "Video Macumba" is a legend here in Brazil...
blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted August 17, 2002 21:08     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The NothingFace tour was pretty good, basically the tour was almost sold out, at least the east cost was - personally I had a good time, perhaps a little too much drinking at one point. Man, drinking a whole bottle of sake at once on the tour bus was way to much, that’s what Mike Amstadt (our soundman) and I did after a diner in a Japanese restaurant in Hollywood.

Remembering lots of funny things, let see... Kim Thayil and Matt Cameron were the two from Soundgarden who were closest to us, often taking rides in our tour bus, running away from the rest of their band, I suppose! Of Faith No More, Jim Martin and Billy Gould hung out with us most. That didn’t mean that we did not talk to the others, just simply that they were the ones that drank beers from our cooler and could understand our bad jokes.

That was also a very grueling tour, if I remember correctly we had something like 12 days non-stop, one day off and 8 or 10 more in a row, something like that, which is pretty hard in terms of being consistent. The challenge was there, having to headline with two very good opening acts. The crowed was usually quite mixed, metal heads, not-so metal, wanna-be grunge, not-sure-what-I-like-best-but-this-is-good-enough-for-me types, and finally a few punk rock dudes.

I can’t recall exactly which city, but after the first three weeks Faith No More had their tour support pulled, then a week or so later, they had a number one in England, and came back for the third part of the tour in the North Central and North East. So basically for the entire South and West Coast gigs, only Soundgarden, and sometimes a local band, were the supporting act. In Seattle of course Soundgarden were headlining, but we took over for the next gig in Vancouver, BC, where we headlined the show, and obviously it wasn’t very successful. Who remembers Voivod there, specially after the announcer for the show presented the headliner after Soundgarden finished their set as, “And Now we present you Soundgarden.” You should have seen the reaction backstage, Chris Cornell had to go back on stage announcing “Sorry but we just played, and now it’s Voivod”. That was very funny at the time.

I remember Away and I, in a certain town had to alert Chris cause his wife (manager) was coming for a surprise visit and he was in a room with a group of girls, that was very odd and very funny. We basically bugged him for weeks after that. He became such a gentleman…

The day Faith No More came back was probably one of the best days of the tour, and also the best performance I’ve ever seen them do. They were full of energy and the music was very tight, they were so happy to be back on the road, we ran out of beer that night - twice I think - we ran out of everything else as well.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the day we had to cross the border for the Vancouver gig, we had to clean everything, vacuum the entire the buses, flush the toilets and garbage holes. Between the two bands we had to leave: bags of dope, 12 or 15 knifes and 3 guns, 2 of which were fake, the third one was actually owned by one of the bus drivers (who always have baseball bats, crow bars and a gun [optional]). We cleared custom no problem and were back the next day in Seattle for a short break before going on a 35 hrs ride from Seattle to Minneapolis.

One interesting fact about the bus drivers - on three occasions our bus drivers were Vietnam War Vets which made it for a really interesting long drive story telling. These guys were all such sweet people and very streetwise as well, nobody ever messed with the bus drivers. We never ran into problem stopping in truck stops, it is very funny but rock band are always well respected among truckers, I’m not sure why, perhaps because we mean a good time or something.

In Albuquerque one of our roadies, R., had his birthday that day and for some reason the tour manager of Soundgarden and some other crew members thought it would be funny -since R. was not very successful with the girls, to hire a prostitute for him and rented him a room with a video camera in it which filmed the whole thing. We were forced to watch it the next day. R. didn’t think it was that funny and us neither – it was like a bad page out of the Tommy Lee Handbook for rock stars. But he swallowed the pill and laughed in order to secure a job with Susan Silver, which in turn lead to a gig with Alice in Chains who she also managed. R. later married the stage manager of one of the Lollapalooza tours and now lives some where close to LA. He got in touch with me in 1993 and he brought me backstage during Alice in Chains sound check. Lollapalooza would have been a fun gig to be playing in back then!

I can’t really remember much else, if I something comes to mind I will let you know guys. I do also have some videos… I know, I already said that I would post some stuff, and I will, just need to find some time.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted August 17, 2002 22:40     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is like sitting around a Campfire with Blacky!

Remembering old times on the Road.

It was nice & lifted my spirits a bunch!
I was pretty depressed before i read that.
Now i'm not.

Thanks Blacky.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 17, 2002 23:36     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cool,i just had a campire in my backyard.. hehe.. now i'm ridin' on a high and reading this. hehe. awesome. You rule, J-y!
schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted August 18, 2002 05:57     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks 4 sharing the story, Blacky.

Lollapaloza with VOIVOD would have been a great addition to the line up. There certainly weren't any bands that ever sounded like like VOIVOD when you were in the band...matter of fact, there still aren't any bands that sound like Voivod from those years.

often imitated, never duplicated

I'm off to Kings Dominion!!!

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 18, 2002 08:51     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, thanks for writing all that for us Blacky. I always wondered what this tour was like for you guys. Given that this period was the high point for the band. Or was it? That's what all the articles say anyway.

Muchas Gracias

nothingface
VoivodFan
Member # 58

posted August 19, 2002 10:22     Profile for nothingface   Email nothingface     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, that was a great read Blacky. Thanks for taking the time to think back and type out those memories for us.

My highlighted memories of your stop in New Orleans on that tour include meeting you after the show. You guys didn't act like the other "rock stars" and spent a good bit of time talking to everyone after the show. To this day, it ranks as one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Thanks again.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 19, 2002 10:32     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read somewhere at the time that in Boston (i think) you were snowed in and couldnt get the bus going so a bunch of y'all went outside and pissed around the wheels of the bus to get it going again... hehe... pretty fuckin' creative if you ask me.
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted August 19, 2002 12:21     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaaaaaaaaaaah... merci Jean-Yves!!!

Je me sens comme Passe-Montagne qui écoute Grand-Mère raconter une histoire Encore!!! Encore!!!

(Sorry guys, Quebecers inside joke)

Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted August 19, 2002 20:20     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One question remains unanswered:

how is Mike Patton when he's not on stage? I'm really curious about this one

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted August 19, 2002 21:05     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Remember The Spit?
Ynys Trebes
VoivodFan
Member # 55

posted August 19, 2002 21:49     Profile for Ynys Trebes   Email Ynys Trebes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, here's the story about "The Spit"... happened that night at the Spectrum.

Faith No More begin their set and as soon as Patton walks up on stage, he spits out this HUGE and DISGUSTING clam that lands right on a spotlight that's hanging from the ceiling. The things just sticks there for a while... until gravity eventually starts showing it's influence.

We then watched it stretch and stretch for a while until it was about a foot long!!! You understand that everyone is grossed out at this point...

But then, the unsuspecting Jim Martin positions himself on stage exactly UNDERNEATH the soon-to-be-falling clam Tention was building as everyone is expecting the clam to hit that poor Martin dude any second now

Unfortunately for us, but fortunately for him, the clam dropped about 1/8 of a inch away from his shoulder and on the stage...

So now you know the whole story

Matt K.
VoivodFan
Member # 90

posted August 19, 2002 21:55     Profile for Matt K.   Email Matt K.     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

blacky
VoivodFan
Member # 2

posted August 20, 2002 01:39     Profile for blacky   Email blacky     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mike Patton is a pretty quiet guy, he is not at all what he seem to be on stage, that's just showbiz!
Marginal
VoivodFan
Member # 116

posted September 17, 2002 09:14     Profile for Marginal   Email Marginal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ynys Trebes:
Aaaaaaaaaaaah... merci Jean-Yves!!!

Je me sens comme Passe-Montagne qui écoute Grand-Mère raconter une histoire Encore!!! Encore!!!

(Sorry guys, Quebecers inside joke)

lol ! moi aussi ... ( kesse que que grand-mere fesait ben a passe montagne pour qu'il l'aime de meme ! ah j'comprend ... yavait pas de grand pere ... la vieille fallait qu'a pogne son smile kek part hein ? )

Vraiment cool Blacky que tu partages ces moments la .

btw , anyone knows if Blacky has some projects ? I don't even know if he's still in the music business =/

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted September 18, 2002 03:53     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marginal:
btw , anyone knows if Blacky has some projects ? I don't even know if he's still in the music business =/

Oui ce serait intéressant de savoir, hein Blacky...

On dit que tu vas bientôt remonter sur scène pour l'événement metal de l'année 2002. Ha ouais, ça c'est cool!

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan