my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Ohmygoodgod!!!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ohmygoodgod!!!
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted August 15, 2002 12:58     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The return of the "golden age" continues:

DARK ANGEL Reunite, Begin Work On New Material - Aug. 15, 2002

Legendary Los Angeles thrashers DARK ANGEL have reunited and are in the process of writing material for a possible new album, guitarist Jim Durkin has told BLABBERMOUTH.NET.

Three-fifths of the line-up that recorded the acclaimed 1989 CD, Leave Scars — Durkin, guitarist Eric Meyer, and vocalist Ron Rinehart — has teamed up with bassist Jeremy Peto (ex-MORGION) and drummer Al "Mayhem" Mendez (DREAMS OF DAMNATION) to form the latest incarnation of the group, which has already written "some new brutal tunes in the vein of Darkness Descends [the band's classic 1986 effort]," according to Durkin.

When asked about how the reunion came about, Jim said: "I had two songs [that I was working on] — 'Fear of a Dark Horizon' and 'Say It In Blood'. I have a studio at my house and since Eric and Ron are both local, it seemed a shame to not call 'em [and invite them to come down and give it a try]. Of course, they were like, 'FUCK YEAH, let's do it.' Next thing ya know, we're playing most of [the] Darkness...] material, and we said, 'This is [sounding] toooo good not to [pursue a reunion]. We sound good for once.' [laughs] So I then contacted [former drummer] Gene [Hoglan], who is quite busy [and he declined to take part in the reunion]...but we're gonna play no matter what. If it bugs someone [that we're calling this DARK ANGEL without Gene involved] then, oh, well... I want to play these old and new songs I wrote, and if Eric and Ron play on them, they WILL be DARK ANGEL songs — no way around it. I don't write stuff like [Ron and Eric's previous and current bands] HUNGER was, or OIL, or SWINE — I write thrash and if [the other] guys are on it, then it's DARK ANGEL."

Although Hoglan is not currently involved in the reunion, a possibility exists that he may rejoin the group later on once he has fulfilled his recording and touring commitments with STRAPPING YOUNG LAD.

"It is my hope that Gene will get involved [at some point down the line]," Durkin said, "but since the logistics are not right [at the moment], we plan to carry on with Al [on drums], being that he can play all the Gene stuff and then some with POWER and little effort. However, I have always considered Gene the cornerstone of DARK ANGEL [so the door is always open for him to get involved if he wants to]. The music is bigger than any one member. [In the meantime], we will do what we can to keep it close to the original line-up."

Current plans call for the reunited band to continue rehearsing and writing material with a view towards playing several live shows in Southern California before the end of the year ("November at the earliest," according to Jim).

"We are doing only early material at this point — We Have Arrived, Darkness Descends-era stuff," Durkin revealed. "A little Leave Scars stuff as well. As we have been playing over the years in other bands, I'd like to think we've improved as musicians and it shows when we play We stepped back in after 13 years and nailed it as if we never parted...but we're still working on it."

|  IP: Logged
Scott L of MFPS
VoivodFan
Member # 105

posted August 15, 2002 13:18     Profile for Scott L of MFPS   Email Scott L of MFPS     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah.....I read that earlier, they have to get Hoglan back though.
JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted August 15, 2002 13:27     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hoglan's a v' busy man - it seems only a schedule problem is stopping him from doing it - so there's still hope. I saw them years back with Nuclear Assault and Candlemass (I think??) - "we have arrived" was awesome.
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted August 15, 2002 13:58     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Candlemass toured the states for the Tales Of Creation album. I missed it but a friend of mine has the footage of their show here in Columbus,OH that I need to get ahold of.
Atheist opened for them on that tour!

What ever happened to Don Doty of Dark Angel?

JETHRO
VoivodFan
Member # 11

posted August 15, 2002 14:36     Profile for JETHRO   Email JETHRO     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I remember the show was at the Hammersmith Odeon, can't recall the date - it may have been the "handle with care " tour (maybe).
I would love to have seen Trouble!
Psychotic reaction!

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted August 22, 2002 00:00     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YES! I just saw this posted...

GENE HOGLAN Rejoins DARK ANGEL!! - Aug. 21, 2002

The reunited DARK ANGEL have been rejoined by drummer Gene Hoglan (i.e. STRAPPING YOUNG LAD) after a short stint with interim skinsman Al "Mayhem" Mendez, guitarist Jim Durkin has informed BLABBERMOUTH.NET.

"Gene never said he would NOT [become part of the reunion at some point]," Durkin explained when asked what made Hoglan change his mind about getting involved with the band again. "He looked at his schedule and saw where he can fit it in. He just called me today [August 21st] and we talked about it…and HE'S IN."

It is strongly rumored that the band — with Hoglan in tow — will be making a surprise appearance (likely for only one or two songs) at the September 30th show by KREATOR/DESTRUCTION at The Galaxy Theater in Santa Ana, California, where Durkin's new band DREAMS OF DAMNATION (which also features Mendez) are scheduled to perform as one of the support acts. A west coast mini-tour is also likely to take place in late November, according to Jim.

Hoglan's decision to return to the DARK ANGEL fold is not expected to affect his involvement with STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, who are scheduled to begin recording their self-titled third full-length album in early September for an early 2003 release through Century Media Records.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 22, 2002 01:54     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
BADASS!!! It just wouldn't be the same without Hoglan.
Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted August 22, 2002 17:22     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
here's a page w/ some dark angel interviews:
web page

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan