my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » New Meshuggah

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Meshuggah
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted August 12, 2002 20:37     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Has anyone else heard Meshuggah - Nothing yet? I'm spinning it for the first time right now and so far I'm not sure if I'm into it or not. Something about the guitars, bass and drums all playing the same patterns in unison that's not sitting right with me.
I have the rest of their catalog and I know the unison lines are their style but this one is weird.
It's not as over the top as Chaosphere 4 tunes into it...

|  IP: Logged
Nate Carson
VoivodFan
Member # 97

posted August 12, 2002 21:07     Profile for Nate Carson   Email Nate Carson     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't heard it yet, but Mike from YOB loves it...
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted August 13, 2002 01:26     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Third listen through and this thing is kicking my ass more and more.
Highlights so far: Glints Collide, Spasm, Rational Gaze, Nebulous

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted August 13, 2002 01:48     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi,

did not know it was already out....

gonna buy today !! No need for pre-listening
in my opinion. Meshuggah are the best in their genre.....

HatrossRig
VoivodFan
Member # 80

posted August 13, 2002 03:20     Profile for HatrossRig   Email HatrossRig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
this new album seems to be either a hit or miss with the fans. ive grown to like it quite a bit after hearing it a few times
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted August 13, 2002 09:54     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is it the one they recorded with the already infamous 8-string guitars?
Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted August 13, 2002 13:35     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I read somewhere that they did use 8 string gtr's on Nothing.
pre_ignition
VoivodFan
Member # 103

posted August 14, 2002 07:52     Profile for pre_ignition   Email pre_ignition     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Meshuggah's new album is a tough listen the first time, but keeps on getting better and better. Newbies should check out Spasm, which in my opinion is the best and most accessible track. That and Straws Pulled at Random which has an amazing outro. I didn't know they had it in em to be so melodic! All in all, a solid album that shows their growth since 98's Chaosphere. Meshuggah is in a genre of their own. The only recent act that comes close would be maybe Red Harvest. Anyone heard Sick Transit Gloria Mundi from them? A bit of electronica influence for those guys. I would love to see Voivod add SOME element of electronica in their new release. Not disco, trance, two step or techno, but SOME element. It would be in the spirit of experimentation, which they've always had a healthy sense of. I can see it fitting in with the Voivod concept of evolution and technology, which I know they could be trusted not to wuss up by using electronica in a truly Voivodian way. To the death...
pre_ignition
VoivodFan
Member # 103

posted August 15, 2002 00:26     Profile for pre_ignition   Email pre_ignition     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
By the way, that was my first post. I was really stoked to see the collector's material here. Thanks ImranX and X-D. This may help to tide me over. warcorpse, your site is fucking grand. And also, glad you're back, Snake.
TheHade
VoivodFan
Member # 109

posted August 22, 2002 06:49     Profile for TheHade   Email TheHade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlaytanicWehrmacht:
Is it the one they recorded with the already infamous 8-string guitars?

Why are these guitars infamous already? Unfortunately, the album will be released in Germoney only on September 16...

Queenraper
VoivodFan
Member # 94

posted August 22, 2002 12:34     Profile for Queenraper   Email Queenraper     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At first I was skeptical, because when I first bought it, I noticed a sticker on it:
"As seen at OzzFest" and underneath "As heard on 'the Osbournes'"....
But, it do sounds like a Messhuggah record, I wasn't dissapointed like I thought I would be, but also I was not blown away like I thought I could be. It was, however, worth the $32.99.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan