my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » Danzig

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Danzig
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 01, 2002 10:05     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey X-D, how was the little big man's show? True story, a friend and I used to drive by his house in L.A. in hopes of getting a pic of him polishing his 'vet in the driveway. Never happened though.
 |  IP: Logged
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted August 01, 2002 11:59     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He's supposed to be playing over here in september... I hear he's cancelled it though. Wonder if poor ticket sales has anything to do with it . That new album is a bit dodgy though, eh?
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 01, 2002 12:58     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Eh, not sure I was too impressed by the littlebigman's performance last night... His new band is a bit lacking in comparison to the Von/Christ/Biscuits line-up, or any previous incarnation for that matter (Misfits/Samhain). He played a lot of new stuff and none of it seemed that great and his voice ain't what it use to be. A few highlighs would have been Twist Of Cain, Snakes Of Christ, and Hollywood Babylon. No Samhain tunes though and generally a bummer of a set. Didn't get to meet the little fella either... not much the hangin' out type last night.

Based on this show, I won't be buying the new album.

Not sure if I can ever look at Danzig the same way again after The Kids In The Hall movie "Brain Candy". "FUCK HAPPY!" Lol! I almost laughed when he came walking out on stage... just like in the movie.

Prong and Chimera also played as well. In fact Chimera was the reason we got in for free... the band I work with and Chimera are fellow Jagermeister sponsered bands. Cool hookup and my Drown Mary drummer friend Troy had a great time schmoozing with them. Although they're not really what I'm into, they put a on a realy good show and I'm sure they'll continue to get bigger.

As for Prong... I may be biased as I never really liked them too much, but they were really sad and kind of Spinal Tap(ish)... The only member i recognized, barely, was Tommy Victor, and they sounded kinda crappy to me... they all looked pretty haggard, and crappy too. My other friend that was with us loves Prong and said they pretty much played a set of classics with only one new song. Dunno, just seemed kinda lame and there was this desperate vibe about 'em... not really sure what was up.

Anyhow, that was the show. Not much else to report... 'cept maybe notes on Danzig's remaining fanbase (you guys think we're nerdy!?) Generally overwight, dumpy types with backward mullets (and forward mullets too), acne, Misfits shirts with the sleeves cut off, thick glasses.. I could go on.

BTW, the show was in the famed Experience Music Project here in Seattle... but that's a whole other post.

X-D, endng transmission.

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 01, 2002 17:15     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote

"with backward mullets (and forward mullets too)" lol!

X-D I've only ever seen the outside of the EMP building, although I think Frank Gehry's architecture is interesting it still kind of scared me because the closer I got the more it looked like some kind of wacked out Disneyland and I just drove away quickly...

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 01, 2002 18:06     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is quite interesting, both on the outside and inside... but there are some real deep-rooted problems with that place altogether. Granted, it's not a bad place to see a show...

Your right about the whole Disneyland vibe though... I know a couple of people that were involved in the content/sections of this place... and well, it was put together with more of a Dot.Com mentality than Rock "N" Roll. This is my opinion, based on what I heard plus a few visits to the place early on. There are some cool things inside, but there are also many really embarassing area like the "lip-synch" room where you can get on stage with a guitar and pretend like your jamming out... all the while being video taped (shudder) Obviously more for the kids, but you'd be suprised. There are many other lame things of this nature too!

Another thing that bugs me as that The EMP hasn't done shit to support local bands/musicians at all! There's somewhat of a thriving metal and punk scene up here, but you'd hardly know it by reading the papers or hanging out in the city proper.

Heck, it's only been in the last few months that the EMP has een been having metal shows at all. I suppose they had to give all the Louie Louie cover bands, Dick Dale, Three Dog Night, Steve Perry (formerly of Journey), and a slew of other has-beens a run of the place first! Not that Danzig ain't a has-been mind you. Just bugs the shit outta me sometimes.

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted August 02, 2002 19:27     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Noitall
i read some article a while back where Beck said he was Glenn's neighbor and commented that he(Glenn) must be lazy because he had the same pile of bricks in his front yard for a long time or something

did you get to see the bricks? Beck?

did you have Misfits/Samhain/Danzig jammin' on your stereo as you stalked him from your car?

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 02, 2002 19:57     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A good question. I wonder who is shorter. Beck or Danzig?
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted August 02, 2002 20:09     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm... good question indeed there Mezcal. Danzig's pretty fuckin' short! I'm thinking maybe 5 feet, 5 inches tall. I wonder how tall Dio is?

Another question, how old is Danzig? He's been cranking out tunes since the mid '70s right? Someone at the show said he 52 or some shit.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted August 02, 2002 22:23     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
5'2 on a tall day.
I think he's in his 40's... 44 probably.

Juan87
VoivodFan
Member # 87

posted August 03, 2002 01:20     Profile for Juan87   Email Juan87     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
haha Beck, Danzig, Dio. Let's just throw in Prince while we're at it! I've met Danzig twice and the first time he was sitting and the second time he was standing on the third or fourth step of his tour bus, so I couldn't get an accurate measure. I lost all interest after 4p, glad I got to meet Chuck (Montgomery) Biscuits before he was so rudely shown the door.
Danzig is either 44 or 45.

Mezcalhead
VoivodFan
Member # 26

posted August 03, 2002 08:32     Profile for Mezcalhead   Email Mezcalhead     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, while we're talking about short people...Did anyone catch the movie INSOMNIA with Pacino? That dude is tiny. I never realized it until that part in the film where he is shot walking on that street with nobody around. And this isn't to knock short people...

Danzig is 5'4????????? Ha, ha... now he doesn't seem so scary. I've never cared for his music. And if I hear Mother again...arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted August 03, 2002 11:11     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Born: 23 June 1955 Lodi, New Jersey, USA
Height: 5ft 4in

Born: 8 July 1970, Los Angeles, California
Height: 5'6"

Now THIS is the kind of information that internet was made for!

I did not see Beck when I was looking for the littlebigman but I think Mr. Hansen was living in Silver Lake at the time.

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan