my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » NEW SONG TO COVER...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW SONG TO COVER...
marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted July 24, 2002 17:20     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What is, in your opinion, the next song Voivod are going to cover (maybe for the next album) or ,better, what'is the song you 'd like to hear covered by them???

Personally I would be very curious to hear this time something by Van Der Graaf Generator (maybe Man-Erg or Lemmings...). I know Away and Piggy are great fan of the band and it would be also a perfect field for free experimantations by Snake, whose psychotic style is similar to that of the great Peter Hammil.

|  IP: Logged
Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted July 24, 2002 17:56     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, great to see another VDGG / PH fan here. I just got into them a few months ago and have since collected all the VDGG albums and a few of PH's solo stuff. I'm totally addicted now. Man-Erg and Lemmings are cool but I'd rather hear 'em do a cover of La Rossa or Sleepwalkers. The lyric-writing is improved and the songs are compositions rather than parts strung togethor (But I still love me some Killer and Plague of Lighthouse-Keepers ).

Ultimately though, I wish Voivod would stop feeling it necessary to include these covers. I prefer the music they write so much more.

Nuclear Vampire
VoivodFan
Member # 20

posted July 24, 2002 19:06     Profile for Nuclear Vampire   Email Nuclear Vampire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Foot said: "Ultimately though, I wish Voivod would stop feeling it necessary to include these covers. I prefer the music they write so much more." and I agree.
The covers that they have done are some of the best ever imho, but maybe they've done too many? Most people (read: idiots) who don't know jack about music say things like "Voivod? Oh, yeah I like that song Astronomy Domine.". It's not very beneficial to a bands career to only be known for the tunes you've covered. Especially in the Metal genre where originality is the key.
If, however, they did choose to record another one Vas Dis by Wishbone Ash (it's on Pilgrimage) would be perfectly suited to Voivod. It actually kind of sounds like Voivod and it's from the '70's!

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 24, 2002 20:36     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Wow! Nuclear Vampire really put it on the line there. I can see his and Foot's points.

My feelings are on the Border, really.
I will take ANYTHING Voivod chooses to do, including any more Covers.

VDGG is some stuff i have not heard.
All the talk about it has me very interrested. Unfortunately though...all my Money is currently tied-up in Saving for more Computer & Music Equipment.
The next CD's i plan on buying are those from HOLOCAUST that i can get.

It would be cool to hear VOIVOD do 'Brainstorm' by HAWKWIND.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 24, 2002 21:49     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Save the covers for bonus tracks on cd singles or a hidden track...give me all the original Voivod you can squeeze onto a disc!!!
X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 25, 2002 00:33     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Im with you guys about holding off on the covers! I've pretty much liked all the covers that Voivod has chosen... but like you guys, I'd prefer more original Voivod tunes as I always like what they write better than the covers!
Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 25, 2002 10:43     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought the Floyd cover on Nothingface was excellent and fitted perfectly into the album. It's more like the Ummagumma version, mind, so when I got round to the original on 'Piper At The Gates..' I kept wondering when the Blower bass was going to kick in.

They should do Lucifer Sam next, or maybe Bike. Or Starless from 'Red'.

Better still, I would pay good record tokens to hear Voivod tackle a Macc Lads song or 'I've got a brand new combine harvester'.

marco
VoivodFan
Member # 34

posted July 25, 2002 17:06     Profile for marco   Email marco     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm agree that the Voivod do in a better way their own songs, but... sometimes a good cover is very well accepted!!!
In the past they did some incredible one (Astronomy), some good one (21st Century...) and some bad one (In League With... ,but just my opinion...).
For me, the important thing is trying to put all their own creativity into the song, don't matter if it's a proper song or a cover..

satan
VoivodFan
Member # 35

posted July 25, 2002 17:12     Profile for satan   Email satan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
'In League with Satan' a BAD Cover!!???

I'M GONNA REMEMBER YOU SAID THAT!!!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 26, 2002 05:29     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still like Captain Scarlett the best.
The Devil's Advocate
VoivodFan
Member # 92

posted July 26, 2002 05:49     Profile for The Devil's Advocate   Email The Devil's Advocate     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Original vintage Voďvod songcrafting. No covers. Period.

Ow, and the Venom tune is a great live cover. Gotta back up Satan once more (ready to ca$h some more, fallen Angel?).

[ July 26, 2002: Message edited by: The Devil's Advocate ]

Helldriver
VoivodFan
Member # 46

posted July 26, 2002 06:40     Profile for Helldriver   Email Helldriver     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Marco (sorry satan!) and h (not the best but great)
So any cover is welcome if in complete Voivod style, ( I have to say that at now every song is welcome due to the release date of the last album... i think i'll appreciate Away that ring at his own house or Snake singing in the bathroom!!! can't wait for the new album!!!)
Other great band should do Voivod cover (if they are able...), anyone knows if some band has already done one?
Sorry for my English.

[ July 26, 2002: Message edited by: Helldriver ]

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 27, 2002 10:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Helldriver, never apologize for your english...most dumbass americans (like myself) only know their own language and we usually fuck it up anyway. It's just great that you can relay your thoughts and ideas to us on this forum...trust me, we all understand what you're saying. Thanks for posting!

I was listening to YES Tormato and thought VOIVOD would do a killer version of 'On The Silent Wings Of Freedom'...with Belanger style vocals and the Voivod interpretation, this song would be an amazing cover!

Hatröss
VoivodFan
Member # 7

posted July 27, 2002 12:33     Profile for Hatröss   Email Hatröss     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tell ya, im all for the covers,as long as it dont take from any extra we would get on the new cd. Shit what they did with The Nile Song was almost even more amazing than what they did with Astronomy Domine ! They sounded better period. there are a few more psycadelic classics id like to hear VoiVod redo
.Strawberry Alarmclock - Incense&peppermints
.Status Quo - Pictures of Matchstick Men
.Pink Floyd - Matilda Mother
of course with new sonik dimension remastering only VoiVod would know how to do.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 27, 2002 19:30     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even though I prefer new 'Vod-songs, here's some suggestions:
-Van Der Graaf Generator: Scorched Earth
-The Mothers of Invention: Who Are the BrainPolice?
-King Crimson: Ladies of the Road
-David Bowie: Space Oddity
-Rush: Jacob's Ladder

or something by Abba...
I don't care, just bring on the new album...

ASAP...

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan