my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » CD versus vinyl

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD versus vinyl
AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 21, 2002 12:33     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I'm not hitting new ground here but still I want to know your preferences. I have the first four 'Vod albums on vinyl (and soon will have 'NothingFace' too) and I think they sound heavier, directer, warmer and more pronounced than their cd companions. It's even worse with OLD records (60s and 70s). Some of the Zappa cd's I have are overdubbed versions of the originals. That totally sux ass.

On the other hand, Some remasters sound really good (example: Black Sabbath).

|  IP: Logged
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 21, 2002 13:20     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It all depends on the Equipment you have.

I prefer CD.

Vinyl is too prone to different playing conditions. Pops, Hiss, Speed variations due to a number of different factors including a Warped Disc or Turntable speed.
Not to mention Stylus problems.

Digital is Precise and i like that.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 21, 2002 18:04     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with the 'warmer' sound you get from vinyl, but like KKS mentioned, the hiss, clicks & pops get annoying. I still have a lot of vinyl and occassionally spin it when I have time, but cds are so easy to pop in find tracks etc, that I usually just pull them out to play those since I usually don't get lots of time to just sit around and listen to music without having to do something else.

I have a bunch of Porcupine Tree collectors vinyl that has songs that are only on 7 inch records so thats the only way I get to hear them! I also have lots of vinyl that I've never replaced with cds (either it's not released or it wasn't worth buying the disc), so when I feel nostalgic I find something I hadn't heard in years. I did that with my Tygers Of Pan Tang records right after Warcorpse posted 'Wild Cat'... I had to hear more!!!

that's enough

Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 22, 2002 01:12     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with both Kula and schroeder. In one hand, a CD is a way more comfortable thing to handle, and stuff. On the other, there are some stuff in vinyl I would never trade for a CD.

What I think is better about vinyl is the size, the more detais you can get from a cover (I still remember getting my copy of Killing Technology and looking at the cover for days, then checking the inner sleeve...). But that's, I suppose, a "romantic" view on the matter. The end of vinyl was unevitable, CDs are just more practical.

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 22, 2002 05:47     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Vinyl is better for a number of reasons. That whole warmth thing... the frequencies that are removed inorder to fit the music onto cd... 12" packaging is far better and big enough to roll a joint on.
Cd's are, however more convienient, and most of my collection thesedays is on cd. But if I had to pick one or the other for all time, never to hear the other again, I would gladly pick vinyl.
Uhhhh... did any of that make sense? It was my birthday yesterday, and I'm still very drunk at 10:30 am..... sheeeeeeeet!

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 22, 2002 09:08     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the fact that until a few years ago re-release CD's weren't mastered properly - all too often the engineer would just find the volume peak and leave it at that. But since then mastering for CD has come so far that, for example, the new Priest and Yes remasters sound far better than the old vinyls.

I want to get hold of a remasted version Hergust Ridge by Mike Oldfield since my well-loved vinyl was made during the Oil crissis of the 70's and is thus on a shitty sub-standard piece of plastic. Thick as Matron's cigar-butt nipple though!

I'm still glad I got the first 5 Voivod LPs on vinyl though as the format does justice to Away's artwork.

And, yeah, I'm a Yes fan...

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 22, 2002 12:23     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NOTHING BEATS A ROGER DEAN LP COVER!!!

Good point Emlyn K Helicopter, about the cd remastering.

I agree that the newly remastered cds are far better than the sound of the old vinyl. The YES, PINK FLOYD and newly remastered KING CRIMSON blow away what I had collected on vinyl for years. KC is finally releasing EARTHBOUND and USA totally remastered and USA has more songs than the original lp. Thrak is also getting the 'makeover'. All three KC releases have been pushed back to September but for those who preorder them you can get the limited gatefold mini lp covers instead of the jewel case versions that will quickly replace them.

For anyone that interested here's a link to the DGM site: http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com/order/

Foot
VoivodFan
Member # 60

posted July 22, 2002 12:54     Profile for Foot   Email Foot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I figure it's a case-by-case thing. Give me Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and I'll say vinyl. It was made with that medium in mind and so was the artwork. That warm midrange and bit of crackle can be quite a comfort blanket, if one is inclined to remember the good ol' days.

Then there's CD. I would hate to listen to Nothingface on vinyl. It would lose that cold, cyborg heart that makes it so enjoyable. The artwork is perfect for the folded panels. The small, "squareness" of each picture reflects the pixelated artwork contained therein.

Hey, I'm a designer. I'm trained to be over-analytical.

K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 22, 2002 14:15     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Album Art vs CD Art.

Albums, even though bigger, can get all messed up & dirty from H coming over to roll a Joint on them all the time!

CD's, on the other hand, have a nice Plastic Case to protect the Art from H's grubby little hands!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Now, go roll a Birthday Joint.

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: King Kula Shaker ]

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 22, 2002 14:34     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanx for the reactions so far. I like to hear all these different opinions. There sure is a point in remastered cd's sounding better than vinyl, as long as they are not overdubbed (the Zappa example). Some sounds that got lost in the original vinyl masters can be brought back by remastering the whole shit. Still, many of my favourite albums are not decently remastered yet (all VoiVod stuff). The easy cd format also allow me to take my cd's to work and annoy everyone with them. At home I prefer vinyl for sentimental reasons and the fact that the 'non-perfect' sound fits raw music perfectly (especially old metal records).

I'm lucky enough to have high-quality equipment.

AngelRat
VoivodFan
Member # 88

posted July 22, 2002 14:37     Profile for AngelRat   Email AngelRat     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As for the artwork: Roger Dean's masterpieces CAN'T be translated into cd format.
Slaytanic
VoivodFan
Member # 28

posted July 22, 2002 17:01     Profile for Slaytanic   Email Slaytanic     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
On the remastered CDs subject, one that comes to mind as a brilliant work of recovering missed sounds from the original tapes is the Beatles O.S.T. for Yellow Submarine. The remastered version blows away any previous recording of them, that's for sure!
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 23, 2002 05:27     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gotta agree with the Yellow Submarine thing. That remastered cd has a much bigger feel to it. Good point Slaytanic!

Also Foot brings up a couple of really good points there. Cd may well work better for a concept such as Nothingface. Although I had Nothingface on vinyl for years before I picked up the cd, so it was vinyl where I heard it first, and when I was blown away by it for the first time!!! It's a good point though. I never thought to apply it to certain albums or bands alone.

Kula - if I come over to yours to smoke joints, I promise bring my own vinyl!!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 23, 2002 14:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All this chatting about the WAX made me spin some records I haven't listened to in a while.

While I was painting the ceiling of my room I reminised with the sounds of
NO MERCY - Widespread Bloodshed
TENSION - Breaking Point; anyone else heard of these guys? Originally named DEUCE which had a guitar player by the name of Marty Friedman...Baltimore boy made famous. Alum was on Torrid records

Now spinning WRATH - WRATH

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted July 23, 2002 17:17     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YES!!! TENSION!
Breaking Point is one of my favorite albums for the 80's. Great to see someone else that knows who they were. Tom Gattis is still around. I wish the rest of the band were active. Do you have this on CD yet? I recenty found a place to buy it but it's a collection of the Breaking Point album plus some demo's or live material, I think. I need to find that link again and get it ordered.
Wrath! Is the Wrath you are listening to the same great Chicago band that released Fit Of Anger and Insane Society? If not, fill me in please.

Sorry for getting OT. Our own X-D makes some serious vinyl to cd-r transfer's. I'd put the rip's of some English Dogs albums he made me up against most remaster projects that attempt to capture the vibe of the originals (from vinyl, that is).
Here's a thought, why not spend the money to get a CD player that has tubes (yes, tubes) in it and help warm up the sound. Too bad I can't afford one but I've heard that they work well for removing some of the glossy digital harshness that are inherent with cd's.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: Greg Gloomp ]

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 23, 2002 19:21     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Greg, It's the same WRATH and actually I was spinning FIT OF ANGER.

I interviewed Tension on a cable TV show I hosted for some years at Dundalk Community College. We did a 2 part interview and played a lip-sync live video the band shot for the show. Crazy guys to say the least. Tim Meadows played guitar and was the brother of Punky Meadows from Angel. Tom Gattis did vocals on a tribute album to Ace Frehley with Marty on guitar. He's got a new band but the name escapes me now ('Dog-something' or 'something-dog'). If the cd has the demos that I have that were going to be on the next album (until Torrid folded) they were better than Breaking Point!!!

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted July 23, 2002 23:13     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I interviewed Tension on a cable TV show I hosted for some years at Dundalk Community College. We did a 2 part interview and played a lip-sync live video the band shot for the show. Crazy guys to say the least. Tim Meadows played guitar and was the brother of Punky Meadows from Angel. Tom Gattis did vocals on a tribute album to Ace Frehley with Marty on guitar. He's got a new band but the name escapes me now ('Dog-something' or 'something-dog'). If the cd has the demos that I have that were going to be on the next album (until Torrid folded) they were better than Breaking Point!!!"

HOLY SHIT! You're kidding about the cable show, right? ANY chance you have a copy of that still? I'd pay top $$ for a dub of it! Seriously.
Gattis is in Wardog now. I think I have both the Wardog albums, I'll have to look for 'em.
Is it possible for anything to be better than Breaking Point? I'm going right now to hunt that link down and buy this stuff on disc. Thank you much for the story and the follow up post!

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 24, 2002 06:26     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The cable TV thing was real. I interviewed local bands in and got approx 7 - 10 minute segment that aired 2 times a day each weekday on an hour long program called 'The Lion Roars'. The same show was aired for a month and then I'd interview another band for the next months show. I didn't take full advantage of what I coulda or shoulda done with it, but I had lots of fun.

I'll see if I can hunt down the tape and rip it to disc. Give me some time...I hope I still have it.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 24, 2002 22:17     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
GREG, guess what I found?
Yep, a 3 song 1987 demo tape with:
Dark Sunrise
Death Sentence
Rest In Pieces

I listened to it on the way to work and it's devastating!!!!
Do you have these already?

I need to figure out how to get my stereo to play thru my computer (I had it hooked up before but something is wrong now) so I can make a cd from it.

X-D
VoivodFan
Member # 3

posted July 25, 2002 00:25     Profile for X-D   Email X-D     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Greg, Schroeder is the person who hooked me up with all those old metal demos that I ripped to cd for you a while back! Small world eh? Thanks for the kind words about the vinyl rips Greg! Glad your diggin' the English Dogs!

Schroeder, let me know if you ever want cd copies of any of that stuff you sent me man and it's yours... after my August madness is over of course Those tapes continue to give me much pleasure so many months after you hooked me up. Thanks once again! You rock!

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: X-D ]

Greg Gloomp
VoivodFan
Member # 29

posted July 25, 2002 04:08     Profile for Greg Gloomp   Email Greg Gloomp     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right on shroeder! That's always the best when you find something that hasn't been heard in ages.
I found the link to purchase the Tension: Epitaph disc. http://www.gattismetal.com/history/tension/epitaph.htm
Those 3 demo tunes are on it as well as 3 live tunes. I'm sending off for this disc this weekend so let me know if you'd like a copy and I'll get it to you. Can't wait to see if you find the video footage!
X-D! I can't get enough of the ED disc's.

schroeder
VoivodFan
Member # 5

posted July 25, 2002 05:59     Profile for schroeder   Email schroeder     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
X-D, I knew I was sending those demos & live shows to a 'good home'. It's great they are getting passed around and others are enjoying them, the way the underground metal movement was originally meant to be when it was started in the 80's. That's how the music spread and that's how bands made a name for themselves.

Greg, if it's available for sale I purchase it. I never really like having a copy of something that is copywritten and still available. I'm going to put that link in my favs and will probably buy it later. Thanks.

WOW, I just went to that Tension page and saw who's selling it, Jim Powell. That name brings back memories! Jim used to to a great underground metal mag with a guy named Ray Dorsey called GRINDER (i think). They are responsible for turning on thousands of metal heads to so many bands that were around at the time. They had great interviews and reviews and latter Ray did a mag called Chaos which continued the same style of promoting the metal bands that the bigger named rags didn't care about.

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: schroeder ]

All times are ET  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan