my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  VoivodFan   » Cosmic Drama   » French Speaking Voiheads here ? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Author Topic: French Speaking Voiheads here ?
VsGreg
VoivodFan
Member # 14

posted July 16, 2002 03:38     Profile for VsGreg   Email VsGreg     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi, sorry for the "english speaking" guys, but Voivod is a "native french speaking" band (my english really sucks !!)... and I just want to know who is able to speak french here !!

Why Voivod has never sung in French ?

|  IP: Logged
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 16, 2002 06:00     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
présent !
j'ai toujours trouvé que le français n'était pas très adapté au metal, les sonorités anglaises passent mieux.

approximate translation:
I always thought that french was not very well fit for metal, english sonorities are much more suitable.

But as they are QC-native, Voïvod may well have pondered the opportunity to choose either french or english at some point, no? Blacky? Anyone?

The issue is important in french speaking countries. In France we cannot get money from "Ministère de la Culture" if we sing in english. To sing in french is viewed as promoting "french culture" and thus brings a sort of *respectability*.

Anyway, I really think that THE choice should be english if one aims at an international career.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 16, 2002 09:20     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Voivod wanted to take over the world, and english was the language of choice. They wouldnt be nearly as known today if they recorded War & Pain in french (Guerre & Douleur? hahaha!), for instance. They probably wouldve broke up by the 2nd album. It's just too tiny a market. Too small a fanbase.

And The Outcast is absolutely right: french and metal dont mix. Very few bands could pull it off. Sortilège did in the early 80's, but where are they now?

English is the way to go. If i hadnt learned it as a kid, i probably wouldnt be here, bullshittin' with y'all, y'know. It's really not hard to learn. Fait un effort, greg

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Skulhed ]

The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 16, 2002 09:24     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
But as they are QC-native, Voïvod may well have pondered the opportunity to choose either french or english at some point, no? Blacky? Anyone?

Originally asserted by Away in the 1993 ITW Warcorpse posted lately:
"When we were young, the music we were listening to and playing would come from England and the U.S., so it came really natural to write songs in English when we formed the band".

quote:
Originally posted by The Outcast:
Anyway, I really think that THE choice should be english if one aims at an international career.

Originally asserted by Away in the 1993 ITW Warcorpse posted lately:
"If you want to travel the world there's only one way to do it, and that's to sing in English".

Well, Away kind of answered my question. Thank you so!
And he also agrees with me that english is the only choice if you're gonna write metal songs...

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: The Outcast ]

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 16, 2002 11:43     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ugh, the language debate. The 'respectability' issue that you speak of is Outcast even stronger in Quebec, it's purely political. I don't think Voivod would be offered a slot on any big summer festival stage, like Saint Jean-Baptiste, etc., because their songs are in English. But English is international, there's no way around it. C'est comme ça que sa marche.

You know, even though Voivod wrote songs in English they took the language and made it their own, which is what I really like about their choice, since they didn't speak it when they started writing and some of it is wacked from a linguistic perspective, lol. I can remember that even by their Soundgarden/FNM tour they didn't speak English. If they wrote in French I don't think they would have ever made it out of Quebec, I honestly don't think they would have got their first US deal in spite of the music.

Blackguard
VoivodFan
Member # 61

posted July 16, 2002 12:35     Profile for Blackguard   Email Blackguard     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Enfin, quelqu'un qui ose écrire en français, bravo !
The outcast, connais-tu le groupe québécois AKUMA ??
Ils ont quelques chansons en français et franchement, c'est pas mal bon !!

P.S.: You guys are right, you have to do it in english if you want to conquer the world ! Even if Voivod would've sing in french, I don't think the would have more fans in Quebec and I don't think they could live from their music with their SMALL group of fans in Quebec !

Voivod lives !

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Blackguard ]

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 16, 2002 20:38     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's right Blackguard. Celine Dion would have never been asked to sing the U.S. national anthem if she didn't record in English. I mean, how many people in the U.S. even know who Edith Piaf is? Even in English speaking Canada you wouldn't find a lot of people who would know someone like Diane Dufresne. But everyone knows Shania Twain. sigh.
K
VoivodFan
Member # 6

posted July 16, 2002 22:16     Profile for K   Email K     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When i lived in Canada, everything was in both French and English. In School i was required to take French and Canadian History.
I failed miserably in the latter.

I would have LOVED to learned French & been able to Communicate properly with my French friends.

Here in the Southwest U.S. there is a BIG Political push to get SPANISH (Mexican) into everything. School, Products, Media.
Hell...I only get LOCAL Television Channels (dont have Cable yet) and HALF are Mexican!
I dont really mind though. The Girls are HOT!

I like English being the primary language of Earth, but also feel that its time that Americans and British quit thinking that English is the ONLY Language on Earth worth speaking...and are FORCED through Legislation and Time...to become Multi-Lingual.
It would be for the good of all.

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted July 17, 2002 03:24     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So King Kula Shaker do you have dual citizenship? Would be a trip if you do! I'm sure it would be funny to here an american speak french with a southern drawl! But what can I say, my own french skills are friggin horrible! When I was still in high school it got to the point where I just gave up and basically manufactured my own pronounciations for various french words, phrases, etc.. Whenever my last teacher asked me to say anything out loud in class I would just start babbling and slurring like a drunken sot! Quite often I would also spell a french term exactly the way it sounded. For example, Blacky's little rat-dog is named Jorge. If I had to pronounce this word, I would say "George" but if I had to spell it after someone said it out loud in french, I would write "Whore-Hey"! Sorry Blacky! Needless to say that as a result of my incompetence, I was finally allowed to drop out of french and in to a very insane art class. Actually, I think my french teacher finally had her fill of me when I asked her if the french pronounciation for the english word "seal" is "La fuck"! "What!?! Did I say something wrong!?!"

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: El Indio ]

Serpent
VoivodFan
Member # 43

posted July 17, 2002 05:46     Profile for Serpent   Email Serpent     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Je ne pas parlais francais!!!
The Neverman
VoivodFan
Member # 4

posted July 17, 2002 07:34     Profile for The Neverman   Email The Neverman     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackguard:
The outcast, connais-tu le groupe québécois AKUMA ??
Ils ont quelques chansons en français et franchement, c'est pas mal bon !!

Ben non, désolé, je connais pas.

Misanthrope chante certains titres en français et c'est très très bien.
TRUST s'est également très bien debrouillé... et quelques autres au début des années 80 (Sortilège, Vulcain, Blasphème, H Bomb).

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 17, 2002 09:48     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Indio:
Actually, I think my french teacher finally had her fill of me when I asked her if the french pronounciation for the english word "seal" is "La fuck"! "What!?! Did I say something wrong!?!"

Haha... Ouatte de Phoque?

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 17, 2002 10:02     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Haha...Jorge is Spanish, not French.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 17, 2002 10:48     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Speak english proper, like wot I does.
Spawn_of_SATAN_666
VoivodFan
Member # 62

posted July 17, 2002 11:37     Profile for Spawn_of_SATAN_666   Email Spawn_of_SATAN_666     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
where i live it is a melting pot.
we have hispanics, native americans, african-american and a few red necks.
god i hate red necks.
hey king tell satan to kill all the red necks,
we do not need white trash taking our tax dollars and sitting on their asses.
but i also believe that the english language is the first nationally, but french should be in second not spanish.
p.s. no offense to any red necks

nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 17, 2002 13:30     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The thing about languages is that you really need a reason to speak them. If you don't use it a lot it goes away really fast. If you use two a lot they get all muddled together. So legislation is complicated in this regard but IMO artists should use whatever language they want.

Moi non plus je ne connais pas Akuma.

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 17, 2002 13:54     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very true.
Funny. I "write" english all the time on the net, but i very rarely actually speak it. So basically, my spoken english has gotten horrible (at least for a while.. it gets better as i talk... rust.)

pppaaaüüülll
VoivodFan
Member # 13

posted July 17, 2002 16:38     Profile for pppaaaüüülll   Email pppaaaüüülll     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Suppose Voivod would have sung in French i do not think there is a chance in the world that i would have bought an album of them.

BTW. What does RRROOOAAARRR mean in French?

In dutch it might be translated:
"schreeeeeuw"

Skul
VoivodFan
Member # 19

posted July 17, 2002 17:24     Profile for Skul   Email Skul     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rrroooaaarrr? In french? Hehe.. uhm....

RRRUUUGGGIIIRRR!!!!

or something.

Mr. Phobia
VoivodFan
Member # 66

posted July 17, 2002 17:48     Profile for Mr. Phobia   Email Mr. Phobia     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i got all the BURZUM cd's even though all but one are screeched in an old norse dialect

you can't tell when this guy sings in english anyway, though

you know, even though this guy is "nazi" or what have you, none of the lyrics reflect this at all
peculiar? not to me, mate

El Indio
VoivodFan
Member # 18

posted July 18, 2002 04:18     Profile for El Indio   Email El Indio     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Noitall recently laughed:
quote:
Haha...Jorge is Spanish, not French.

French, Spanish, Swahili, whatever; it's all Greek to me!

h recently demanded:

quote:
Speak english proper, like wot I does.

Wow, do you speak Queen's English?

In regards to music, if I like it, I'll listen to it regardless of the language.Unfortunately I don't have much of a choice out here on the westcoast because 99.9% of all music I come across on T.V., radio, major chain record stores, etc., is in English. When it comes to indie record stores and radio stations (Co-Op radio, U.B.C.'s station CITR), it is more like 85-90+% English. Actually I should revise what I just said (Its close to my bedtime again - my mind is starting its shutdown sequence!) for if I happen to go to a major store like HMV I could find "international" music. But why the heck would I do that when I could make a beeline for the Heavy Metal section!?!

h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 18, 2002 05:28     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Indio:

Noitall recently laughed & h recently demanded

Nice touch! I like

Emlyn K Helicopter
VoivodFan
Member # 44

posted July 18, 2002 05:36     Profile for Emlyn K Helicopter   Email Emlyn K Helicopter     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rammstien sing only in German and it fits so well that it makes you wonder why all the German HM bands don't do it.
h
VoivodFan
Member # 8

posted July 18, 2002 09:13     Profile for h   Email h     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did anyone like the English version?!!!
nia
VoivodFan
Member # 9

posted July 18, 2002 10:01     Profile for nia   Email nia     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skulhed:
Very true.
Funny. I "write" english all the time on the net, but i very rarely actually speak it. So basically, my spoken english has gotten horrible (at least for a while.. it gets better as i talk... rust.)

C'est l'opposé pour moi Skul. Mon écriture est beaucoup mieux que ma conversation. Et quand je suis déménager au plateau-est de Montréal c'était un vrai choc ! L'accent est puissant et plus difficile pour mes pauvre p'tits oreilles. Franchement, je suis perdu la plus part du temps. Je pense que c’est plus difficile parce qu’en Colombie-Britannique j’avais appris mon français avec des professeurs de France, et non pas du Québéc, et vous vous habituez à entendre un accent parisien le plus souvent. C’est un peu diffèrent de Jonquière aussi. :P

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages: 1 2 3

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | VoivodFan